• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can you run ? Move quickly ?

xchocoholic

I was wondering who else has trouble moving quickly ?

If I try to run, on a good day, within about 20 feet my muscles turn to jello and I have to slow down to a walk where I'm basically about to tople over. I recover to a normal walk within about 100 feet.

I was thinking it's from brain damage. I had ataxia and white lesions that vanished via the gf diet but seriously doubt all the damage is gone.

My attempts at physical therapy were aborted due to pem but maybe there are options I need to try. Dr Wahls used electric stem. Maybe ?

tx ... x

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I was wondering who else has trouble moving quickly ?

If I try to run, on a good day, within about 20 feet my muscles turn to jello and I have to slow down to a walk where I'm basically about to tople over. I recover to a normal walk within about 100 feet.

I was thinking it's from brain damage. I had ataxia and white lesions that vanished via the gf diet but seriously doubt all the damage is gone.

My attempts at physical therapy were aborted due to pem but maybe there are options I need to try. Dr Wahls used electric stem. Maybe ?

tx ... x

Not being able to move quickly is surely a typical ME symptom. We have slowed mental and physical function.

Some describe it as needing to move like a tortoise rather than a hare. I need to constantly resist the urge to move at the speed I used to, and want to, as it rapidly exhausts me. Even if I get into a car too quickly because the driver is putting me under pressure to hurry up will leave me out of breath and barely able to move for a few minutes. If I go at the pace my body can manage, I can continue for much longer and do much more.

Sparrow

I can, unless I'm already experiencing PEM that day. On crash days, I have trouble just lifting my legs high enough to walk rather than shuffle. On a regular day, I'm capable of moving more quickly (though I haven't tested for how long. I did jog once for a test, though). It's just the PEM I would suffer afterward that prevents me.

That said, my muscles might turn to jelly trying to run too long as well. All of my muscles seem to come with a limited rechargeable battery worth of energy, and there are definitely limits to how far I can push them before they just start shutting down. On really bad days, I get that just from walking short distances in my house.

Seven7

Seven
I owe my third and biggest crash to day to trying to run (I did it about 3 days on and off first day 2 min run 2 min walk for 20min, second day (after one day of rest) couldn't even run for 5min then crash, it has been 1.5 years recovering from that!!! I will never try anything more than walking while having this.

I'm similar to Sparrow, just seems like I have lower limits. My muscles fatigue fast.

I can handle the cardio if I go at medium speed, not fast.

For me, a big problem is the Fibro, and the strain I feel on my back, neck, shoulders, and arms. That is more limiting than the fatigue I feel in my leg muscles. But my legs will also hurt and need days to recover.

The idea of running is scary. One of the stupidest things I ever did was running across an airport to catch a plane. It was before I understood I was ill, but I knew I had many limitations, and should have known. (Not to mention, I missed the plane by a lot.)

belize44

The problem with moving too quickly for me, is not so much the inevitable shortness of breath and fleeting chest pain, it is the unexpected injury to tendons. I have bounced up off my chair to answer the phone, and spent the rest of the day limping. Or put on a burst of speed to catch a bus and embarrasingly enough, injured my pectoral muscle. I absolutely have to support that area when out walking. I also get light headed just from climbing up on a chair to get a dish from a high shelf.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
This for me feels the same at @xchocoholic, its more about damaged brain signals, than actual fatigue - I can't co-ordinate my limbs - I lurch and I would topple over if I tried to carry on.

JBB

Despite being house bound I can move quickly if I have to.

Ran for a bus the other day...considering I am 24 it should have been a lot easier, I fatigued very very quickly and couldn't run very fast after a short distance. Also went to bed as soon as I was home to ease the PEM.

But I could do a slow jog for a short distance. Mainly PEM stops me. I feel a short walk is about the right amount for me not to do any damage.

Co-ordination problems? Just throwing it out there but ANS dysfunction?? I imagine that could lead to this. Also moving quickly could maybe over-stimulate the ANS system throwing it into disarray. Just wondering...

Best wishes,

J

alex3619

Once upon a time I could run for a bit. I am alive now because of it. A car came around a corner way too fast as I was walking by. It would have hit the car next to me, and that would have collected me up. I ran backwards, fast, about ten feet. The car that was hit went flying through the fence next to where I was standing. I had ME at the time but it was only at the mild end of moderate. I was not mostly housebound, just limited in what I could do.

As it turns out the driver was an off duty police officer.

These days by the time I realized I even had to move I would probably be flying through the air, or pinned beneath the car. I have trouble even walking slowly now, though that was made worse recently by an injury that has nothing to do with ME. I am currently at the severe end of moderate though (though under ICC I am severe, its a different scale, I am mostly house bound).

ukxmrv

That's what happened to me Alex. I was on a crossing and hit by an out of control vehicle. The other people on the crossing managed to jump to safely but I was too slow. Simply cannot move and react as I would have done so before.

Even when my life is in danger my ability to jump or run quickly is impaired.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
That's what happened to me Alex. I was on a crossing and hit by an out of control vehicle. The other people on the crossing managed to jump to safely but I was too slow. Simply cannot move and react as I would have done so before.

Gee, I hope you weren't badly hurt! :(
Sushi

rosie26

I usually break into a run when my cell phone text tells me my bus is "due" at my bus stop right now and I am still about 5 houses away from the bus stop !

I often wonder what I look like running "a sight probably" I don't feel very coordinated, I kind of shuffle run.
I always groan when I have to run as I know my legs will be shaking and feeling thick and heavy by the time I get to the bus stop. I also am aware that I have stirred up ME inflammation throughout as well "sigh".

I used to be a sprinter and in the middle section of the ME (years 4-8) i did 2 flat out sprints a couple of years apart. Maybe 100 meters or so. Running flat out like my life depended on it. I knew i was going to pay BIG time but it was so worth it just to feel alive again for a few seconds. It was absolutely amazing. I paid for a couple of months each time but I didn't regret it.
I just ran until i was running on two slabs of floppy rubber, the sheer speed keeping me going through momentum until my legs liquidized and the ground approached at full speed instead. I prepared by taking aspirin beforehand to help with my thick blood thumping through my head otherwise I'd have been screaming in agony just with my head alone.
The first time, i didn't have a wheelchair back then and I didn't know how I'd react. My mam ended up coming to get me and pushed me home in a shopping trolly hahaha while calling me a complete idiot :)
I couldn't do it now. Though i will if circumstances allow it again. The feeling it gives, for that very, very short time is worth the months of agony and paralysis.... I think o_O

alex3619

I Grok, ukxmrv. I don't want to click like on this one. :hug:

xchocoholic

I'm always happily surprised when I read other pwcs stories and recognize the similarities.

My muscles are sore now because I overdid it and I'd forgotten about getting that symptom.

I do the shuffle at times too. It happened consistently when I had ataxia 24/7 tho.

I'm struggling with pem so I can't respond anymore. I'm in my sleepy phase. btw. I just read that astrocytes releasing adenosine is what makes us drowsy. Adenosine keeps coming up.

tc ... x