• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The missing link between EBV and Multiple Sclerosis

natasa778

Iquitos

"Several potentially pathogenic mechanisms explaining an EBV causative role for MS, yet very speculative, have been proposed, as recently reviewed [4], [30]; they include molecular mimicry (generation of autoreactive T cells are primed against EBV, but cross-reacting with CNS antigens), and generation of EBV-infected autoreactive B cells (that would seed the target organ expressing the autoantigen and produce autoantibodies and costimulatory signals to autoreactive T cells)."

Very pertinent to MECFS, IMO.

Thanks, Natasa.

Ecoclimber

Based on this study and others prior, I would be leaning toward a connection between ERV and MS in particular, HERV-Fc1 and to some extent Herv-W. I believe the protein in ENV can cause inflammation within the brain.

In the HERv-Fc1 retroviruses are not mutating as they are basically junk viruses (nonactive replicating retroviruses) that make up 8% of our genome and in most situations are in inactive. If MS patients have Herv-Fc1, there probably other disregulated ERV's that could be involved. Some ERV's could make nRNA that gets reverse transcriptase and integrease which turns other ERV mRNA into DNA which is then inserted back into the genome.This can cause cancer due to all sorts of genenic instability, insertional mutagenesis.

However in MS patients there is not an increase copies of HERV-Fc1 in the cells of MS patients vs. healthy controls just the normal 2:1 ratio.

I have more to say on this later.
Eco