• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IACFS/ME needs volunteers to search Medline/PubMed for young ME/CFS researchers

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just received this interesting notice via Co-cure:

I ask that this Notice be posted. Thank you.​
Volunteers Needed for 2014 IACFS/ME Conference Preparation for San Francisco
IACFS/ME would like to reach out to young scientists and researchers​
who study CFS/ME or related illnesses to come to our 2014 conference​
in San Francisco. We need more researchers to apply for grants, to​
conduct studies, and to advance the understanding of CFS/ME with​
respect to causation, diagnosis, and treatment. We are asking for​
volunteers to do searches of the Medline or PubMed databases to​
identify authors of CFS/ME and related articles and find their contact​
information. We are seeking authors that appear in the databases from​
July, 2011-July,2013.​
Volunteers will receive a waiver of the San Francisco patient​
conference registration fee ($100 value).​
For more information, contact, Fred Friedberg at​

I think it's great that our researchers/clinicians are giving patients the opportunity to work with them to achieve our goals. This is something that we could surely help with, particularly if the work was shared out among a lot of us.

Anybody interested?

taniaaust1

I suggest for people to work together on this to do a good list (I'd help with this is I didnt have so much shambles going on here Im trying to sort out). So I'll share the following so it can be passed on.

Just off my head I already know of one, Stephanie Reuter ... she's very young (looks like she's only just out of school!!!, I dont know how young or old the other researchers involved in her studies are as I havent met the others but they are University research (University of Sth Australia) so I assume other young ones may be working on the studies).

She already had one good ME/CFS study published (carnitine and acylcarnitine) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21205027 (her email is there if its still current) and was involved in doing her second follow up in a more in depth study to the first (but is currently now on leave due to pregancy or giving birth so others are working on her second one currently/.. unless she's had the baby and back at work). Im one of the study participants in her second study (and was in her first too).

She's certainly one very good young ME/CFS researcher ..

Dr Alison Coates (no idea if she's young or not) is currently running Stephanies second study (School of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences, University of South Australia). I do have her email and a phone number here in a letter to me I recieved this week (I didnt make it into phase 2 of the second study) but dont knew if these contacts for her are public info so dont feel comfortable posting publically but if someone is making up a list to send and needs this for what is being requested.. send me a pm and I'll give the contact details so it can be sent to Fred (but not put publically). Dr Alison Coats may? be new to the ME/CFS field so this may be the first study she's currently working on (I havent tried to research her).

What is meant too exactly by "young researchers"? I'd take that to mean researchers under 30 years but some may take it to mean even younger or maybe older then that.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi Tania - thanks for that. I think we need some organisation on this and some more info from Dr Friedberg. I agree we don't want to be bandying people's contact details about on a public thread. It sounds as though a systematic literature search is called for and that will require some instructions, including how to format the info, and the work will need to be divided up among volunteers. I don't have any detail on how Dr Friedberg is coordinating this.

I don't know what's meant by 'young researchers' or how they'd be identified from the papers.

So, a few 'don't knows' there - I'll try to get some more detail after the weekend.