• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very sad news from Denmark:

alex3619

I am worried by laws that make it an espionage offence to point out government corruption and criminal activity. Its unpatriotic, violates principles of good governance, and fosters criminal activity. Government corruption can only get worse under such laws. Moreover it is one more step towards a totalitarian state.

Collection of DNA by police for someone under arrest is just an extension of the existing fingerprinting laws. I do not think this can easily be fought.

Incarceration of a very sick person on grounds that someone thinks, without objective evidence, they might have a mental illness is however a different thing entirely. Contrary evidence must be presented, and given weight according to its objectivity, not opinion. I am very set against mere opinion without evidence to justify it, especially in legal or health matters.

Nielk

It boils down to your interesting signature alex3619.

If we have a psychosomatic illness because a physical illness cannot be objectively shown, how is a psychosomatic illness any more valid since it cannot be objectively shown?

I would think that "objectivity should be able to be judged after Karina has been at the hospital for three months and under the medical care of the doctors there. Is she in any better shape today then she was under her parent's care at home? This could be easily and freely observed. If their claim is that she was mentally ill and did not care for herself at home, (otherwise why remove her? even if proven that she was mentally ill) and they were "saving' her by removing her and giving her the "proper" care, she should by now show major improvements.

leela

I don't think these are entirely different issues, Alex. I think they all speak to:
You might be a terrorist, you might be a criminal, you might be mentally ill...it comes down to POV,
and whose POV is being backed by power and authority to get you painted in that light.

Karina's situation is different in the sense you mean, though, Alex, because there has been created a legal situation
from a personal/medical one, by medical personnel who oughtn't to have that authority, and who have, as you say, presented no evidence (nor apparently been required to) to support their unjust interference in this family's life. I find it incomprehensible that the legal system there has allowed this to continue for so long. Who granted whom the power to nullify her power of attorney and appoint a guardian of their choosing? Why is the family not immediately granted such? The whole things stinks to high heaven.

And in this case, any psychotic imagining of "the patient is a threat to herself" is negated by the fact that she had been, until her illegal incarceration, lovingly cared for by her family. Unless of course one subscribes to the "mass hysteria" or "folie à trois" argument. Which these bozos must do to be continuing on in this totally insane fashion.

Where is the Mission Impossible team when we need them?

leela

I just wanted to highlight this crucial point:

In an age when we are capable of measuring objective disability in ME patients, though not determining a cause, this is intolerable, unscientific and a violation of medical ethics.

I think this should go in a letter to Someone Important.

This was posted on J4KH Facebook page so if you know any bloggers that can cover this story please pass this on. Thanks!
*********Action request!*********
We are looking for bloggers! If you have a blog and are interested in covering the story of Karina Hansen and all that is happening in Denmark, we have gathered links and other information for you. We are happy to share this with you to make writing your own post easier. You can email us at justice4karinahansen@hotmail.com or private message us at this Facebook page.

Do you have favorite bloggers? Would you like to see them cover this important story? Please write to them and tell them you would like to see this on their blog.

We want to get the word out about Karina Hansen! We are happy to assist in any way possible.

taniaaust1

This was posted on J4KH Facebook page so if you know any bloggers that can cover this story please pass this on. Thanks!
*********Action request!*********
We are looking for bloggers! If you have a blog and are interested in covering the story of Karina Hansen and all that is happening in Denmark, we have gathered links and other information for you. We are happy to share this with you to make writing your own post easier. You can email us at justice4karinahansen@hotmail.com or private message us at this Facebook page.

Do you have favorite bloggers? Would you like to see them cover this important story? Please write to them and tell them you would like to see this on their blog.

We want to get the word out about Karina Hansen! We are happy to assist in any way possible.

I wonder if one of the big ME/CFS orgs can be talked into blogging on this case on their websites?

eg maybe people could try writing to the ME/CFS SA org requesting this case to be publicized and followed there, which has a website which is well read. (note if you email them, they dont read unnamed emails so put your name to it). Our ME/CFS patient orgs around the world should be bringing public attention to such abuses and working together more to do so.

taniaaust1

I think psychiatry has seen its day and doctors like those in this case may be going to any lengths to stave off the death rattle. Kidnapping and abusing a young woman to perform their experiment to try and prove their pet theories looks like criminal activity to me, no matter how many letters you have after your name. They are the ones the law should be going after. I am sickened by this.

Well said. She is an unwilling victim of an "experiment". So called mental health patients have always been often treated as victims of experiments.

taniaaust1

What I don't understand alex3619, is that are these psychiatrist so hard up to obtain patients that they would fabricate a diagnosis and pull rank with a person's life just to gain more customers? (oops...I mean patients)

Thing is they do think they have something to gain from it, that being making a name for themselves. If they can fix what is viewed by many as very sick ME/CFS patient who many believe cant get well by psych treatment and which situation has now gone public.. well they will look like heros to many if they can fix her. They can write up and publish a case study of this (something which only they would do if they fixed her) get it published and look very very good (what is very scary is they could even get very misleading things published about case studies which could make a committed patient look better when they arent really so. We've all seen how things can be twisted with facts left out). If CBT and GET doctors commit enough ME/CFS patients, sooner or later they find one who this being locked up does help and use that as publicity to make their abuse more valid to be doing.

They wouldnt be doing this to her if they thought they couldnt fix or help her. They are naive with big egos and doing harm and dont even know it.

Any of us could be seen in the same way as she is, if we encounter those doctors who have huge egos (not willing to believe they could ever be wrong, scarily there is a lot of those out there) and "believe" they know what is wrong with us eg mental health issues. The word of psych doctors is hard to dispute when they can control everything and take complete control with the law on their side.

I wonder if one of the big ME/CFS orgs can be talked into blogging on this case on their websites?

eg maybe people could try writing to the ME/CFS SA org requesting this case to be publicized and followed there, which has a website which is well read. (note if you email them, they dont read unnamed emails so put your name to it). Our ME/CFS patient orgs around the world should be bringing public attention to such abuses and working together more to do so.

I do wish to see this story covered by the big Me/CFS blogs. I have written quite a few to ask them to share information on Karina Hansen. I have not written any in Australia though as I am from the US and mainly concentrated on ones based here. The Me/CFS SA org looks like a good place. If enough of us ask it to be covered maybe the different blogs will cover it.

Nielk

Could you imagine if things would be turned upside down and it would be medical doctors who would put us in the hospital and take all kinds of tests and try treatments on us in order to cure our organic illness?

taniaaust1

I wonder why Karina's parents cannot just walk in and collect her, maybe with some big badass security types at their side? Is she on lockdown or something? I mean, these are sovereign adult humans. I'm for a SWAT-style rescue!

She's been commited (held against her will) and hence would most likely be in a locked ward where people just cant freely walk in and out, only voluntary patients are free to freely roam (patients held against their wills, they make sure they dont excape). As her parents are also restricted in even being allowed to seeing her (and would be probably be being watched even when allowed due to the situation), there would be no hope of getting her out.

Really wouldnt be much different to being locked in a prison. There are usually key pads which need codes keyed in on the doors or you need someone to allow you in and out.

I wish our big orgs would call on protests whenever this happened. Im sure if this was being done to AIDS patients with their illness ignored, their orgs on a worldwide level would step in and arrange big protests. This kind of thing just wouldnt be allowed to go on if it was happening to AIDS people but its got away with as its happening to ME people.

taniaaust1

I do wish to see this story covered by the big Me/CFS blogs. I have written quite a few to ask them to share information on Karina Hansen. I have not written any in Australia though as I am from the US and mainly concentrated on ones based here. The Me/CFS SA org looks like a good place. If enough of us ask it to be covered maybe the different blogs will cover it.

You may have some luck with the SA ME/CFS org website as it covers worldwide ME/CFS news events and not just things in australia, it's also very active on its blog on ME/CFS news.

Best luck

You may have some luck with the SA ME/CFS org website as it covers worldwide ME/CFS news events and not just things in australia, it's also very active on its blog on ME/CFS news.

Best luck

Thanks and please anyone feel free to join in writing to these groups! :)

Have you tried talking to Mark about maybe doing a proper article for Phoenix Rising? And I think Cort's new site does things as more of a blog style.

Misfit Toy

By no means is this the same thing, but years ago, I had GERD and an ulcer. At the time, there was only one doc in my area who treated CFS. He had no hospital privileges. So, I went to a gastro doctor. He put me on Prilosec. I barfed it up. I barfed everything up. Food, meds, you name it. I had to sleep upright in a chair. In other words, I didn't sleep. I went to a doctor who admitted me into a hospital. After a week he discharged me. I was better, but the problem came back on with a vengence. the IV Zantac didn't do the trick. My CFS doc with no hospital privileges could do nothing. Hence, I will never go to another doctor who doesn't have pull with a hospital. PTSD.

When I went back to see the doctor, he thought I was nuts. I had CFS and to him that was the same thing as being nuts. Also, a week of being in the hospital should have cured my stomach. I was 20 years old. Anyway, he said, "the only way I will help you is if you go into a psych ward." I went to other gastro doctors and because they would all talk to "HIM" they thought that I was crazy, too. So, begrudgingly, I went into a psych ward. I was too sick, vomiting and absolutely scared out of my mind. I couldn't go on vomiting and not being able to eat. So, in I went.

After a few days of being in there and pills being given and thrown up, a nurse called my mom at 3 am and told her, "you need to get your daughter out of here. She is sick. She is physically sick. She is sitting in the tub vomiting because she is so sick and exhausted, she can't lean over the toilet anymore. She doesn't need to be in here. She is fine mentally"

In that time of being in there, I watched a guy telling himself not to kill someone, another guy defecated in his bed and the girl I shared a room with heard people talk to her. It was a really great experience.

Even just writing this makes me cry.

My mom came in the next day like a warrior and got me and told the doc, "I am taking her out of here." His response, "you can't." She did and she told him, "I will sue you like you have never been sued before."

To cover his ass, he admitted me into the medical floor of the hospital. I had tests done and I had a bleeding ulcer. My esophagus was bright red. I ended up being in the hospital for 4.5 weeks. 4 weeks on the medical ward.

I wasn't forced to go in the psych ward. I could leave. But, I was needing help and I couldn't get it because of my CFS diagnosis.

I feel so sorry for this girl in Denmark. IT's really backwards. Absolutely. They HAVE NO RIGHT to do this. It's insane.