• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MS patient - turns out she has Lyme

Nielk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...air-cured--discovered-symptoms-TICK-BITE.html

Mother diagnosed with MS and facing life in a wheelchair is cured - after she discovered her symptoms were due to a TICK BITE

• Julia Marshall-Wessendorf, 37, was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2010
  • An MRI scan showed lesions on her brain and spinal cord consistent with MS
  • Was on expensive drug regime and thought she faced future in a wheelchair
  • Developed other symptoms inconsistent with MS so did some research
  • Went to doctor and asked for test for tick-borne Lyme disease
  • It came back positive so she was treated with a simple course of antibiotics

ukxmrv

Wouldn't other MS patients have noticed this though? The Daily Mail report said that she felt better after a few days of AB's. No mention of die-off or a long course.

If a few AB's put someone's MS into remission wouldn't that effect already be known. It wouldn't have been obvious from other PWMS having a course of AB's for an infection and then getting better in a short period of time?

Nielk

Wouldn't other MS patients have noticed this though? The Daily Mail report said that she felt better after a few days of AB's. No mention of die-off or a long course.

If a few AB's put someone's MS into remission wouldn't that effect already be known. It wouldn't have been obvious from other PWMS having a course of AB's for an infection and then getting better in a short period of time?

Good question ukxmrv
Have others heard of cases like this one? I know that there are ME/CFS patients who have been diagnosed with Lyme at some point and treated with AB's successfully but, with many this positive effect did not last long term or they still suffer with ME/CFS but to a lesser degree. This might point to a co-morbidity?

beaverfury

beaverfury

I guess it depends what type of antibiotics they are on.
It is unlikely they would chance upon a fully effective lyme protocol. It's hard enough when you already have a clear borrelia diagnosis.

I wouldn't put absolute faith in the details of online medical reporting. They hardly get a thing right when they report on me/cfs.

Apple

A notable part of that article is that the initial Lyme test done by her GP came back negative..

liquid sky

That's scary, whatever the cause!

Does anyone know to what degree white matter lesions can heal in various parts of the pain?

I have read that small white lesions are resolvable after time but i don't know if this results in returning function.

I have read that in ME, the lesions can resolve, in some cases. I have many lesions, stable for years now, but not resolving.

golden

Thanks liquidsky ,

I have been wanting to know for a while now if bog standard MRIs ever show up anything or if more advanced tech.is needed

:)

SOC

Good question ukxmrv
Have others heard of cases like this one? I know that there are ME/CFS patients who have been diagnosed with Lyme at some point and treated with AB's successfully but, with many this positive effect did not last long term or they still suffer with ME/CFS but to a lesser degree. This might point to a co-morbidity?

An acquaintance of mine who has Lyme (along with 2 of her children) told me one day that a friend of hers was diagnosed with MS and given immune suppressants (I believe it was) as treatment. It turned out she actually had Lyme and suppressing her immune system made it worse. By the time they figured it out it was too late. My acquaintance was on her way to the hospital to visit the friend who was horribly ill. I believe the friend died. :eek:

BTW, I suspect my acquaintance and her kids may have ME/CFS in addition to (or instead of) Lyme. They have been through multiple rounds of long-term antibiotics with some improvement, but not full recovery. The number of families in our homeschool group with mothers and children (now in their early 20's) with Lyme, FMS, ME/CFS, or atypical MS diagnoses is surprisingly high. We had a Parvo B19 outbreak in the group when these kids were 6 or 7, but no one got seriously ill until 5+ years later.

golden

golden

But sometimes the lesions can be there but too small to show up on an MRI.

Sushi

Yes. This is what I thought . I was reading Dr.Hyde uses a SPECT scan and if that shows up normal a more advanced SPECT scan...

But I dont know what model etc. It is certainly worth understanding.
I think the best time to have one is when symptoms are bad, too.

:)

Nielk

It seems to me that there is a high percentage of us (ME/CFS) patients who are found at some point to suffer from Lyme. Why is that?

xchocoholic

My brain lesions went away after i eliminated gluten. That connection
is documented on the web. I wonder is this person went gf too.

Not gluten since she responded in 4 days. What antibiotic works that
fas on lyme?

Ema

It seems to me that there is a high percentage of us (ME/CFS) patients who are found at some point to suffer from Lyme. Why is that?
I think it is because we have abnormalities and deficiencies in our immune system which allow Lyme to take hold and become a symptomatic problem. I bet Lyme is like EBV and other viral infections in that most people are exposed at some point but the immune deficiencies are what allow illness to flourish in some while others brush it off.

Ema