• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Psychobiotics: A Novel Class of Psychotropic: That's probiotic yoghurt to me!

Firestormm

Here we go then:

Psychobiotics: A Novel Class of Psychotropic

Here, we define a psychobiotic as a live organism that, when ingested in adequate amounts, produces a health benefit in patients suffering from psychiatric illness.

As a class of probiotic, these bacteria are capable of producing and delivering neuroactive substances such as gamma-aminobutyric acid and serotonin, which act on the brain-gut axis.

Preclinical evaluation in rodents suggests that certain psychobiotics possess antidepressant or anxiolytic activity. Effects may be mediated via the vagus nerve, spinal cord, or neuroendocrine systems.

So far, psychobiotics have been most extensively studied in a liaison psychiatric setting in patients with irritable bowel syndrome, where positive benefits have been reported for a number of organisms including Bifidobacterium infantis.

Evidence is emerging of benefits in alleviating symptoms of depression and in chronic fatigue syndrome. Such benefits may be related to the anti-inflammatory actions of certain psychobiotics and a capacity to reduce hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity.

Results from large scale placebo-controlled studies are awaited.

:zippit:

Valentijn

Sounds more like "we're discovering that the causes of a lot of presumed-psychological disorders are completely physiological. But that doesn't sound so good for our job prospects, so instead we're re-labeling physiological treatments to make them sound more psychological."

NilaJones

Sounds more like "we're discovering that the causes of a lot of presumed-psychological disorders are completely physiological. But that doesn't sound so good for our job prospects, so instead we're re-labeling physiological treatments to make them sound more psychological."

Yep.

Like toxoplasmosis, was it, and schizophrenia.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I prefer to address the causes, which appear to be mainly the wrong diet, over-exertion and stress, through correcting the diet and taking supplements. It's working for me re anxiety, sleep, sinus congestion, gut, muscle strength, skin, etc. Not as dramatic and 'sexy' as a magic bullet, fancy new probiotic or new name.

Last time I looked I wasn't a rat, but evidence from humans is more interesting, albeit just suggesting that they have found a new way to treat something that existing things can already do.

A clear illustration of the fall from favour of long-established, cheap, natural substances in favour of overpriced branded ones was when I tried to buy sodium bicarbonate in 2 pharmacies. Neither pharmacy had it on the shelves, which were heaving with branded products, some of which contained bicarb plus other things. I had to ask. One pharmacy had it in the rear of the shop, only accessible to staff (they now have it on the shelves - hooray!), and the other had it in a drawer. This is a safe, effective substance with multiple uses. Is some pressure being exerted to remove such substances from shelves to make room for more profitable stuff?

A.B.

It's hard to let go of prematurely formed conclusions. It's good to see this topic getting more attention.

I've always wondered how the widespread use of chemical additives in foods is affecting the gut flora. I would not be surprised if some preservatives turned out to have a significant negative effect on the gut flora. The purpose of many preservatives is to stop proliferation of microorganisms after all. If such an effect exists, then it cannot easily be detected with standard toxicity testing.

Firestormm

Fair point A.B. And why shouldn't all this not have an effect on one's mental health as well as in other respects.

I don't understand this paper is all. My reference to yoghurt is a sign of my ignorance and poor attempt at humour :)