• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Web seminars with Prof. K. De Meirleir with english subs

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks Rolo.

The organization that produced these videos is ME/CVS Vereniging. These videos of Prof. De Meirleir (Himmunitas, Brussels) are part of a series of interviews with ME/CFS researchers and doctors.

Here are links to videos 2 & 3, also from Prof. De Meirleir:

More will be coming!

Sushi

snowathlete

Just got around to watching these. Really glad that someone has gone to the effort of translating them into English. He has great diversity of knowledge.

Spring

Some more information about the project from the letter sent by the ME/cvs Vereniging:

We would like to bring to your attention our participation in a beautiful scientific project called Wetenschap voor Patiënten (Science for Patients). In this project web seminars with scientists are filmed on location, based on questions of ME/CFS-patients. The project is subsidized by the Dutch Ministry of Health for a total sum of ± € 600.000,=, and shared with two fellow patient organisations, MS and Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Seminars of 5-12 minutes have already been filmed in Brussels, with prof.dr. K. De Meirleir explaining all aspects of ME in ten introductive colleges, followed by five subsequent and five consecutive colleges. The subsequent colleges will be fully based on questions, provoked by the introductive colleges. The seminars are broadcast on Youtube.

After this seminars, prof. dr. Michael Maes, neuropsychiatrist, will follow. Starting with seven introductive colleges, which may be followed by five subsequent colleges.

Spring

Subjects of the seminars:

1. Is ME and/or CFS a disease?
2. Is it possible to diagnose ME/CFS?
3. Is ME a hereditary condition?
4. ME and sleep disorders
5. ME and pain
6. ME and hormones
7. ME, the immune-system and verious viruses
8. ME, the blood-circulation and the brain
9. ME and gastro-intestinal problems
10. ME, comorbidity and exlusion-criteria

Five responsive colleges
11. ME, origin and causes, answers to 12 questions
12. ME, misdiagnoses, related diagnoses and tests, answers to 11 questions
13. Sleep, pain and nightmares, anwers to 6 questions
14. Treatments, anwers to 6 questions
15. Remedies and hope, answers to 7 questions

Five consecutive colleges
16. ME & the brain, neurologically seen with psychic impacts
17. TH1 & Th2
18. Subgroups of patients
19. Sense and nonsense of tests: ATP-profile, H2S, RNaseL, NK-cells, NADH/MTHFR
20. Possible treatments, LDN

snowathlete

The 4th in this series on ME and Sleep Disorders has been posted:

De Meirleir's last comment is so true. I've been finding myself going to bed later and later, basically because I dont want to give up the time when i feel most clear minded, and i know that when i go to sleep - even with good sleep meds that have improved my sleep - I will wake up feeling naff and have to slog through the whole day until I get to the evening and regain that clarity.

Thing is, it means that I am eating late, and getting up very late too, which isnt good for family life. I'm trying to force myself to go to sleep earlier. Aiming for mid-night.