• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Norwegian Research Council meeting now (5/6 June) to decide on Rituximab trial

Sasha

Fine, thank you
From Maria's site;

http://www.meyou.no/forskningsradet-the-norwegian-research-council/

Meeting in Committee of The Norwegian Research Council
Today, June 5, and tomorrow, the meeting of the Committee of The Norwegian Research Council will consider applications for funding for research into ME. Haukeland hospital, Fluge and Mella has applied once more for funding for a follow-up study of Rituximab and ME, in which they would like to include 140 new ME- patients to see if the previous results are consistent. Results from the committee meeting will be published within the next week.

The Rituximabstudy
The previous study showed that 67% of ME patients who received Rituximab, an immune modulating medication, had good or moderately good effect. Such findings have not previously been shown.

The Committees mandate
The Norwegian Research Council committees consisting of experienced researchers from around the world. They have great expertise in evaluating how well the applications and the different study protocol is, and in what extent the results can be used to predict the desired researched issue.

Here it will be to assess the extent to which the study can tell whether Rituximab is effective in a defined patient group, ME-patients after certain criteria.
The second task of Committees of The Norwegian Research Council is to consider the social utility of the study. The Council shall not be influenced by political contributions and neither the Minister of Health or I can tell them what decision to take, or provide guidelines or instructions that they should or should follow. We can of course take the risk of entering a wish list, but that is all.
Research must be free and not tied to the political winds, or who sit and rule the country at a certain time.
Funding from MEandYou
I want to make sure that you all know that the money you have given, will go to Haukeland hospital and scientists there, no matter the outcome of the provisions taken by the Research Council. I have great respect for all of you , who has given from your savings or insurance to ensure their further research into ME at Haukeland Hospital. I have long since established a contract with Haukeland, so that you can be completely safe. No one shall feel that they are duped or deluted. This happens to the money you donate.

Enid

Fingers crossed Sasha - friends there and they redefined ME.