• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Symptoms of Astronauts After Return Sound Familiar

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
"[Hadfield's] head is going to feel like a cannonball, his arms are going to feel like logs," McDonald said. "Every time he turns his head the world is going to seem to turn sideways, he's going to get dizzy."

Chris Hadfield, the Commander of the International Space Station, returned to earth last evening.
I read this little blurb and thought, wow, I know what that is like.
I doubt any of the mechanisms of being in zero gravity cross over to us.But still, I could certainly relate to the symptoms.
I did take diamox -- used for altitude sickness-- for years to help the pressure in my head, dizziness and other neuro symptoms. Not sure that altitude change is the issue w/ the astronauts.
I'm not really familiar w/ space travel effects on the body. Anyone ? .
What do they do to treat those symptoms ?
Maybe some symptomatic relief clues ?
I know I know I'm really reaching. Forgive me. It's been a crappy pain filled curled up in a ball in bed kinda day.
For anyone who missed it. This wonderful music video he made in space :
Cover of David Bowie's Space Oddity