• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Made Easy videos

caledonia

I spent the last 9 months creating this series of four short videos explaining the basics of methylation, as a means for helping me understand methylation better, and because I felt there was a real need for this type of information. If you don't know where to start, this is a good place to start.

Part 1 - Overview - a non-technical explanation of how genetics+environmental factors affect methylation, which produces modern chronic diseases.

Part 2 - The Methylation Cycle - an animated methylation cycle demonstrates how methylation occurs, and how glutathione depletion causes ME/CFS.

Part 3 - Treatment - an overview of the various treatment options and general recommendations and caveats

Part 4 - The SNPs Code - how to understand all those funny numbers and letters

Absorbing the information in these videos should give you a good basis for understanding the more complex materials from Amy Yasko, Heartfixer, etc.

Each video is well marked with links to the next one. So here's a link to the first video to get you started - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4uqEDK6BvM

Enjoy!

Thanks, caledonia. very good job. i thought i was keepin up ok till part 5, i have hard time following when she speaks. it may have been there, but i always want to ask "what changed?" If we had these gene mutations all our lives, and for the most part (i was) healthy, then one day wake up to illness... something changed, something broke. there was reference to stress and virus etc. and how they can effect things, but i was not sure what broke. i guess with virus, it may stick around and continue to cause problems, but with stress, if it leaves, the illness (at least for me) remains. wish i could understand this more, it just seems we fall off a cliff and we can complement diet to help conteract known shortcomings/deficiencies, but can we climb all the way out of the hole, back to before. i also would like to learn more about how these mutations/shortcomings result in pain, and what seems to me, immune response (which again, could be due to ongoing infection, but i get the feeling, it too - the immune system - fell off a cliff and into some crazy loop.

anyhow, thanks again. good stuff.
AB

caledonia

Thanks, caledonia. very good job. i thought i was keepin up ok till part 5, i have hard time following when she speaks. it may have been there, but i always want to ask "what changed?" If we had these gene mutations all our lives, and for the most part (i was) healthy, then one day wake up to illness... something changed, something broke. there was reference to stress and virus etc. and how they can effect things, but i was not sure what broke. i guess with virus, it may stick around and continue to cause problems, but with stress, if it leaves, the illness (at least for me) remains. wish i could understand this more, it just seems we fall off a cliff and we can complement diet to help conteract known shortcomings/deficiencies, but can we climb all the way out of the hole, back to before. i also would like to learn more about how these mutations/shortcomings result in pain, and what seems to me, immune response (which again, could be due to ongoing infection, but i get the feeling, it too - the immune system - fell off a cliff and into some crazy loop.

anyhow, thanks again. good stuff.
AB

"Fell off a cliff and into some crazy loop" - I love that explanation!
It's ok to have to watch the videos over and over until it sinks in. Believe me, I have looked at all of the reference materials the same way. I think I've watched Ben Lynch's video from start to finish at least 6 times and referred back to various parts of it numerous more times.

A good explanation I've heard is to think of your body's capacity to deal with environmental factors like a rain barrel. So right off the bat, those of us with methylation mutations have a half rain barrel (like one of those whiskey barrel containers for plants). This represents your genetic capacity.

Now think of all the environmental factors in your entire life: lead exposure from gasoline and paints, mercury fillings, formaldehyde from new carpet, paint, flooring etc., "new car smell", cleaning products, mononucleosis, exposures from work or hobbies, stress from abuse or bullying, a major injury, surgery, etc., antibiotics compromise your gut and thus immune system. Think of these as drops of rain slowly filling up the barrel.

You'll appear to be perfectly healthy (even if the barrel is nearly full). Then one final last straw happens. In my case, it was getting my wisdom teeth out with the wrong kind of anesthesia (this would use up quite a bit of glutathione). Now the barrel is overflowing and "all of a sudden" you're sick.

Now your body can't recover because you have lead and mercury gumming up methylation. Methylation is compromised, so you can't detox, and more lead and mercury will build up. There's one crazy loop. Glutathione depletion causing more glutathione depletion is another crazy loop (this is explained in the video).

Hope this makes sense!

Thank you for the videos and I liked the above written explanation too.

i thought i was keepin up ok till part 5, i have hard time following when she speaks.

Caledonia's new videos only have 4 parts. Maybe you meant Amy Yasko's video explanation?

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Caledonia - Wow thank you so much!! I keep wanting to do the methylation protocal but just can't wrap my brain around all of it and figure out dosing, etc. Your attention to detail and tremendous efforts in putting this together is much appreciated!! :balloons: :thumbsup:

RosieBee

Thanks Caledonia! These videos are great. I have sent copies around to friends/ family. Really clear and uncomplicated and funny!

caledonia

OMG are you trying to kill me? lol :)

But seriously, the Kreb's cycle diagram on the Nutreval test is da bomb. I can't remember if you've taken the test or not, but I got my results back recently. I can see exactly where my cycle is having problems and what things might be causing them. For what it's worth, I've seen similar things show up in most people's Nutreval tests (mine too) - lack of glutathione, B vitamins especially B2 and B6, mercury or other metals can all clog up the Kreb's cycle.

Because I have CBS, I have to keep B6 low (it's kind of a balancing act, you need some but not too much). Yasko's B Complex fits the bill, so I've started taking that. Mercury seems to be detoxing just from doing methylation supps. Glutathione should also come up from doing methylation. Those things combined should improve energy (fingers and toes crossed).

Jarod

Great idea, and very clearly presented.

One suggestion if you do anymore. Please no music.

Dad is hard of hearing, and I can't concentrate with the background music. :confused:

I noticed in video two around 2:00, it had the caption of "the US" department of energy below the methylation illustration. How Ironic?

Noticed Freddd got mentioned. Very cool

Good to know about niacin also, I'll experiment with that.

I book marked all the links in your signature. Time to try and figure this out.

thanks! :thumbsup:

dannybex

OMG are you trying to kill me? lol :)

But seriously, the Kreb's cycle diagram on the Nutreval test is da bomb. I can't remember if you've taken the test or not, but I got my results back recently. I can see exactly where my cycle is having problems and what things might be causing them. For what it's worth, I've seen similar things show up in most people's Nutreval tests (mine too) - lack of glutathione, B vitamins especially B2 and B6, mercury or other metals can all clog up the Kreb's cycle.

Because I have CBS, I have to keep B6 low (it's kind of a balancing act, you need some but not too much). Yasko's B Complex fits the bill, so I've started taking that. Mercury seems to be detoxing just from doing methylation supps. Glutathione should also come up from doing methylation. Those things combined should improve energy (fingers and toes crossed).

I was semi-kidding. :)

I know there's controversy re Yasko's advice, especially re the CBS issue, (and b6/sulfur), but that aside, what I just realized a couple days ago is that even though they recommended b6 and other vits/minerals on another page, nowhere is b6, or b12, or folate mentioned as being needed for the Kreb's cycle, at least on my results. B1, B2, and B3...and some minerals, but not the others.

???

Maybe I'll post my results...start a "Post Your NutrEval Krebs Cycle Results" thread?

caledonia

B12 and folate are alluded to indirectly i.e. the need for glutathione (listed as GSH).

You're right, B6 is not mentioned in the Kreb's cycle - that's what I get for doing it from memory. o_O

It would be interesting to look at a lot of Kreb's cycle results and see if there are some common themes. If you start the thread, I'll post mine.

caledonia

Great idea, and very clearly presented.

One suggestion if you do anymore. Please no music.

Dad is hard of hearing, and I can't concentrate with the background music. :confused:

I noticed in video two around 2:00, it had the caption of "the US" department of energy below the methylation illustration. How Ironic?

Noticed Freddd got mentioned. Very cool

Good to know about niacin also, I'll experiment with that.

I book marked all the links in your signature. Time to try and figure this out.

thanks! :thumbsup:

It shouldn't be too difficult to post another version without music. I'll see what I can do.

dannybex

B12 and folate are alluded to indirectly i.e. the need for glutathione (listed as GSH).

You're right, B6 is not mentioned in the Kreb's cycle - that's what I get for doing it from memory. o_O

It would be interesting to look at a lot of Kreb's cycle results and see if there are some common themes. If you start the thread, I'll post mine.

Good points re glutathione -- that of course is what Rich stressed, perhaps inadvertently forgetting about the other potentially important factors. Still, I'm so grateful for his help and wish he was still with us.

I did start a thread here to post results:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...treval-krebs-cycle-results.23166/#post-354260