• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Update on Alex3619: in hospital but doing well

alex3619

Funny, but I had been thinking about a kilt. I have a lot of Irish and some Scottish in my ancestry, along with some Scandinavian and Germanic heritage. A kilt would be eminently practical in some ways, as there would be no issue putting it over a cast. Alas, some of the issues with gowns occur with kilts - and as I in a public bed a lot that might prove embarrassing.

alex3619

adreno The swelling is not primarily inflammatory, its vascular. I had a lot of damage to blood vessels in my leg. They take time to heal, and in the mean time fluid accumulates but doesn't leave easily. Compression stockings may or may not help, I don't know.

Enid

Good luck alex - hopefully the worst over. I did break an ankle 6 months ago and the damage (inc vascular) produced more than the usual swelling and multicolours. It did take longer than usual to heal, but it did on it's own eventually.

Funny, but I had been thinking about a kilt. I have a lot of Irish and some Scottish in my ancestry, along with some Scandinavian and Germanic heritage. A kilt would be eminently practical in some ways, as there would be no issue putting it over a cast. Alas, some of the issues with gowns occur with kilts - and as I in a public bed a lot that might prove embarrassing.

Ahhh, this is what you need:
AoM_loincloth_01.jpg

:D

Lynne B

So what are you going to wear, Alex? After all, you're going home tomorrow or thereabouts so you'll need something. What about the kind of wrap-around cloth Asian men wear? I don't know what they're called as I don't know the term for the male equivalent of sari. Then you could wear a T shirt and tie this wrap-around male skirt around your waist. Even a piece of cloth or a tablecloth would do. Otherwise I guess your best option is a dressing gown tied very securely at your waist! The issue of clothing is really important for people with broken bones.

I broke my right arm right up near the shoulder 7 years ago and it wasn't put in a cast because I was supposed to move it around as soon as possible. The pain, the pain! I was on panadol osteo 24/7. I had the same problem as you because I couldn't put my arm into a proper top or shirt with a sleeve. I had to get my sister-in-law to make me a skirt with elastic waist and slit a couple of tops up one side, which my husband had to pin me into each day.

I couldn't tie a knot so I couldn't put myself into a sari, but I guess you could, or you could use a couple of large safety pins. Let me know if you could use one because I have a piece of Indonesian cloth of the right length that I could send you. I'm in Sydney so it wouldn't take long to get it to you.

cheers, Lynne

Lynne B

Sorry to go on, Alex, but it just occurred to me that the obvious thing to do is slit one side of your shorts so you can put it on via the other foot and then pin it in place once you've got it on. Talk about ignoring the simplest solution!

cheers, Lynne

alex3619

Lynne B, hi. I have the cast off now, I have a moonboot. It is strapped on. So first I get dressed, then I put the boot on. I had to develop a trick to do that though, it was hard to reach the last strap on the boot. So I part do it up then slide my foot in, then tighten it. So I no longer need a sari, kilt or lap lap. Hopefully I will be home soon, maybe tomorrow, maybe in three days, and I can start heading toward what passes for normal for me.

alex3619

Hi Sushi, this is my second try to answer your post. When I got home I booted my computer, got my updates done, loaded my favourite computer game (a seven week withdrawal) and my mouse died. I never liked wireless mice, why do we use disposable battery technology, especially since small rechargable batteries are unreliable? So I did stuff on my laptop again, and ordered some batteries which will arrive later ... and then I realized some of my old remotes have the same kind of battery, AAA. So here I am again, using old batteries that might give out any time. Doh, at least my new batteries arrive in a few hours.

I can navigate OK. My biggest issues so far are from the "help" I had. I appreciate the help, don't mistake me, but my soda water and juice bottles were in front of the pantry where my food was and all had to be moved before I could get food; a box was there too. Also all my dirty washing had been mixed with my clean washing, so I had to do a bunch of washing. Moving clothes a small handfull at a time, or bottles, or whatever, is exhausting.This is why I have a lot of frozen meals arriving shortly - cooking is too hard at this point, even pacing the way I used to.

However, I am home! I am back on the net at modern speeds. I am not woken up at all times of the night by hospital stuff. I can finally play my computer games again. Almost all is good in this picture. I do have seven weeks of unfinished business to deal with though. Oh well, better get to it.

Its great to be really back.