• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctor of The Future

PhoenixDown

"i think we have to change the phrase "mental illness" to something more benign as it has a pejorative connotation a bit like saying a person with the common cold has a "contagion" or a "contagious disease".
Why not call depression a "serotonin deficiency syndrome" or something a bit more accurate and less emotive. Why is mental illness such as rag-bag of pseudoscience which still carries baggage from the Middle Ages like calling someone a witch.
Psychiatry is still that vast inland sea of undiscovered organic disease whose manifestations are largely descriptive and behavioural. We don't call diabetics potentially mental fainting illness or hyperparathyroidism "flank pain and central abdominal pain illness with lots of wee wee".
Major depression is not contrasted with Minor Depression and Anxiety becomes a disease rather than a manifestation of something biochemical. DSM IV is a garbage bag of pseudoscience reminiscent of medicine in the time of Molière.
I hope in a century psychiatry will finally catch up with internal medicine and neurology. I am anxiously waiting for this as the current mess is depressing. Indeed I can feel a panic attack coming on now.
Odysseus"
This is taken from the British Medical Journal's international Doc2Doc forum.
http://doc2doc.bmj.com/forums/open-clinical_general-clinical_mental-health-problem

Attachments

• Hope.png
    Hope.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 6