• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ABC News: New Psych Disorder Could Mislabel Sick as Mentally ill

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/somatic-syndrome-disorder-mislabel-sick-mentally-ill/story?id=18606406

New Psych Disorder Could Mislabel Sick as Mentally Ill

By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES for ABC News
Feb. 27, 2013

A couple of corrections.
"Some patient groups, including Suzy Chapman, the mother of a son with fibromyalgia and an advocate for the Coalition for DSM-5 Reform in the United Kingdom, are up in arms."

My son has ME, not fibromyalgia. I am a UK advocate and run a website called "Dx Revision Watch" but I am not a spokesperson for the "Coalition for DSM-5 Reform" nor a member of that U.S. committee.

Enid

GAlmighty - stop this Suzy - ah gee whiskers the ignorant psyches again who cou;d not differentiate their toes from the ground around - what is it this century as we are are much more aware of medicine and medical findings this lot can still have a presence. (WellI I know - fingertip exercise - very historic.

Esther12

Thanks Suzy.

From the ABC one:

"Perhaps some people fear they will be labeled or mislabeled, but my perspective is that it's important to treat people who are suffering," he said. "That's what we are about."

It is what you make money from.

Today's cognitive and behavioral therapies make SSD "highly treatable," said Dimsdale.

Highly treatable? As in 'treatments are highly effective' or 'we can make money from treating a high number of patients'?

A quick google for RCTs in this area turned up this recent one first, which seemed the usual unimpressive stuff. I've not read this closely, so maybe I shouldn't comment, as it could be that I've missed something which makes this study more worthwhile than it seems... but it does seem like yet another poorly controlled study which shows that encouraging 'care' leads to minor improvements in subjective questionnaire scores. If the same design and results was used by spiritual healers they'd be laughed out, but with the 'CBT' label it become evidence based medicine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3413637/

Minor improvements in questionnaire scores for the treatment group and "The control intervention was a waiting list." Also average scores went up over time, while those who reported more serious problems were less likely to complete follow up questionnaires.

Still, we know that the treatment was effective because the article is titled:
Effective Group Training for Patients with Unexplained Physical Symptoms: A Randomized Controlled Trial with a Non-Randomized One-Year Follow-Up

Maybe that was a bit thoughtless and ranty considering I only skimmed through the paper. Poorly controlled trials which rely on questionnaires for outcomes just piss me off.

edit: Do slightly regret moving the thread off suzy's topic!

Enid

What amazes me about these people is their capacity to hang on in there to fill any void ( like medicine/science still not fully understanding) - what an invatation for "grand schemes". - all pie in the sky mental of course.Sorry guys not me.

Dx Revision Watch

Commentary in BMJ, today, by Allen Frances and Suzy Chapman specific to implications for all illness groups for DSM-5's Somatic Symptom Disorder.

Access to full article and PDF is free:

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f1580

Views & Reviews
Personal View

The new somatic symptom disorder in DSM-5 risks mislabeling many people as mentally ill

This new condition suggested in the bible of mental health diagnoses lacks specificity, says Allen Frances

The fuzzy boundary between psychiatry and general medicine is about to experience a seismic shift. The next edition of the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is scheduled for release this May amid controversy about many of its new disorders. Among these, DSM-5 introduces a poorly tested diagnosis—somatic symptom disorder—which risks mislabeling a sizeable proportion of the population as mentally ill...

Full article in text and PDF format here
------------------------

The media release will be available here, today:

http://group.bmj.com/group/media/latest-news

On Monday, BMJ press office put out a media release for this article to 3000 journalists. This article by Allen Frances, MD, professor emeritus, Duke, who had chaired the Task Force for DSM-IV, and Suzy Chapman, Dx Revision Watch will be competing this week for media interest with the launch, today, of another international "Statement of Concern" around DSM-5. There will be some additional coverage of the SSD issue as a result of the press release but please circulate the BMJ links far and wide, on websites, blogs and social media and please mention concerns for the SSD dx when commenting on other DSM-5 related media coverage.

Two more commentaries specific to the SSD category are In Press with two psychiatry journals and anticipated to publish in May-June.

Esther12

Thanks Suzy. There's already a response up from Michael Sharpe, Joel Dimsdale and Francis Creed.

Jarod

Wow. I skimmed those, but looks like some great commentary. If people are paying attention and sharing these articles with others, it could really help our cause.

taniaaust1

Wow. I skimmed those, but looks like some great commentary. If people are paying attention and sharing these articles with others, maybe we are on our way to curing the psychiatry plague.

I hope those psychs pushing this bullcrap become the laughing stock of the medical profession.

Dx Revision Watch

(Free registration required for access)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/781189
Medscape Medical News > Psychiatry
DSM-5 Somatic Symptom Disorder Debate Rages On

Deborah Brauser
Mar 21, 2013
The inclusion of the new somatic symptom disorder category in the soon-to-be-released Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) continues to spark heated debate in the field of psychiatry.

In a "Personal View" published online March 19 in BMJ, Allen Frances, MD, writes that the new disorder could result in "inappropriate diagnoses of mental disorder and inappropriate medical decision making" and urged clinicians to ignore the category completely...

Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch

Report on both recently launched "Statement of Concern" and the Allen Frances/Suzy Chapman BMJ commentary:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/mental-health/article3717853.ece

The Times Mental Health

Psychologists to fight new list of mental illnesses
Millions of people risk being labelled as mentally ill under new classifications that have prompted calls for a boycott by psychologists.

Jarod

Thanks for this links. I sent my politician one on the DSM 5 before and got a "personalized" response. I'll try to see if I can get their attention again. :)

Esther12

Thanks Suzy. I see Edward Shorter has now commented as well.

Shorter: The exchange between Dimsdale and Frances is a reminder that, forty years later, we are still sorting out hysteria. When DSM 3 abolished hysteria in 1980, there had to be some replacement for diseases that were, essentially, "all in your head," though by 1980 no clinician would use those feared words. DSM 3 created two categories that addressed the mind-body breakdown in the diagnosis of hysteria (the term had other dimensions as well): somatoform disorders, and somatization disorder. The latter was something concrete, real: Pierre Briquet had described it in 1881 and one could understand that some patients did have chronic complaints in multiple organ systems not caused by organic disease. Allen Frances's DSM 4 in 1994 continued this DSM 3 architecture, making minor modifications. I am astonished that DSM 5 takes us even further from the idea of the breakdown of the mind-body relationship for nonorganic reasons. The diagnosis "somatic symptom disorder" is vague and nonspecific, politically correct but scientifically incorrect. It will cause much confusion.

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f1580?tab=responses

Some were still being 'brave' with unfounded claims after that:

Wessely. Professor Shorter-it is fascinating to hear you
talk on psychology, but can I take you back to history?
You said two things-first, that you have learned that the
essential way of dealing with these problems clinically is
to take them seriously, emphasize their genuine nature and
so on. That is clinical skill and clinical judgement.
But you also said that the way in which these syndromes
finally go is when the word gets out that they are
really "all in the mind" and not to be taken seriously. There
is a clear irony and contradiction between what is good
clinical practice for the individual, and what you propose
would ultimately alter the disease attributions. How are we
to resolve this irony?

Shorter. I do not see a contradiction here at all. The physi-
cian has a whole bag of psychological tricks for dealing
with chronic psychosomatic illness, chronic somatization.
It is very important not to legitimate these toxic diagnoses,
and there is no doubt that multiple chemical sensitivity and
chronic fatigue syndrome are toxic diagnoses, because they
cause the patients to become fixated upon their symptoms
and to dig in even further so that they acquire a sense of
hopelessness.
Now, you do not have to endorse the patient's illness
representations in order to treat the patient in a humane and
serious way in the patient-doctor relationship. You do not
have to contradict the patient. You can diplomatically slide
over the illness attributions in silence, at the same time
taking the patient's symptoms seriously in other ways.

Wessely. Suppose a transcript of the proceedings here was
circulated among a group of patients who believe they
have toxic dental amalgam or suffer from multiple chemi-
cal sensitivity, it would be clear that the clinicians in this
audience would no longer get any patients. Once it was
known that they had presumably endorsed the views they
had heard at this symposium, that would be the end of their
clinical practice. They would no longer be able to do the
good things that you have said. So there is a fundamental
tension between the public good, and the clinical necessity
of treating patients, and it's one that is hard to resolve.

Shorter, The tension is between the need to be effective
health care educators and the need to have patients. This is
clearly a moral choice, and I am sure everybody in this
room would opt for the side of the good guys saying, "Our
role as physicians is to educate the vast public, which
consists of millions and millions of people, that we are
dealing with hocum here, rather than to cling to these few
extra patients. We have plenty of patients after all who
have plenty of other problems".

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-more-morality-and-philosophy-than-cfs.13045/