• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Mail: The fog of fatigue I lived in for 16 years has lifted at last...

ukxmrv

Maybe they both share the same delusion (the delusion that CFS can be cured by psych means that is)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folie_à_deux

Folie à deux (English pronunciation: /fɒˈli ə ˈduː/, French pronunciation: ​[fɔli a d̪ø], from the French for "a madness shared by two") (or shared psychosis) is a psychiatric syndrome in which symptoms of a delusional belief are transmitted from one individual to another.[1] The same syndrome shared by more than two people may be called folie à trois, folie à quatre, folie en famille or even folie à plusieurs ("madness of many"). Recent psychiatric classifications refer to the syndrome as shared psychotic disorder (DSM-IV) (297.3) and induced delusional disorder (F.24) in the ICD-10, although the research literature largely uses the original name.

-----

Seriously though I'd like to know why he is smirking in that photo and his partner looks like death warmed up

I wouldn't be surprised if there were people given a label of CFS who did find CBT curative.

Following on from PACE, it seems like this is a one in a hundred thing, but I don't think it's fair to blame the patient for the fact that these sorts of stories serve to justify the prejudices some have about all CFS patients. So long as CFS remains such a quack-fest, we're going to have to go on dealing with the sorts of unwarranted assumptions that these stories can lead to.

I quite like White attaching himself to one-off tales off success like a homeopath. They were reduced to that when the initial results from PACE came out too. Surely he knows what he is.

Edit: The whole thing reads like a trashy Daily Mail CAM article. I expect that cancer patients get pissed off with inspiring articles about crystal healing vibes allowing a photographer to complete their horse portraits book (available now from fine book-stores everywhere).

Enid

Quite agree beaker - that is the whole point - "threw the community under the bus in the process". And far from being encouraging 16 years to regain a little health back is both discouraging and obvious that the illness is not understood (yet).

maryb

iherb code TAK122
beaker what a good expression "threw the community under the bus in the process".
I think this is the point for me. If she seriously is feeling better I am glad for her, but If she had taken the opportunity to support and acknowledge the rest of us (ME patients) are still suffering without any treatment or help from the NHS I would have more respect. Any media opportunity to do this should not be missed. Do the psychs ever miss them - ermm - no.
She has obviously had a lot of private treatment, did she never consider the thousands who can't afford it, and continue to deteriorate whilst the psychs still crow about CBT and GET. Disappointed doesn't cover it.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
The subject of the article may very well have been misrepresented, so let's not be too unkind. I have had personal experience of media misrepresentation and, when I complained, the media representatives seemed completely unaware of, or indifferent to, the fact that it is wrong to make up statements and attribute them to people, which is what they did.

On one occasion such misrepresentation led to an angry phone call from someone who had assumed that what I was quoted as saying was what I had actually said, putting me in a very difficult situation at work.

I'm afraid the British media is now notorious for this type of practice. Don't be like Crazy Miranda!

Lyrics of 'Crazy Miranda' here for anyone not familiar with them:

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/j/jefferson_airplane/crazy_miranda.html

The subject of the article may very well have been misrepresented, so let's not be too unkind. I have had personal experience of media misrepresentation and, when I complained, the media representatives seemed completely unaware of, or indifferent to, the fact that it is wrong to make up statements and attribute them to people, which is what they did.

On one occasion such misrepresentation led to an angry phone call from someone who had assumed that what I was quoted as saying was what I had actually said, putting me in a very difficult situation at work.
Thanks for writing that. It made me feel better b/c I was so angry reading that. I recently had to deal with a whole forum of people exactly like her who claimed to have M.E and fibromylagia and were recovering /managing their illness on graded exercise, pacing etc. ..and the same things she says etc....

I often wonder where all the hoards of these people come from. It makes me wonder if the anti CBT exercise ideas on this forum are only shared by the minority of patients diagnosed. I still feel very angry at these people but now I've come to the conclusion that they were healthy or had some mild mental disorder. I think they are still b#stards for not being honest enough to say they have a mental illness. That's what I think of her *if * this newspaper article is true.[/quote]

Misfit Toy

As soon as someone brings in their childhood and how treating that helped her to return to normalcy, it totally discounts CFS. My dad died 6 months before I got sick but even after mourning and dealing with that, I am not well.

That's a crappy article for us true CFS folks. It doesn't do much to help our cause. Plus, she looks like she has had major plastic surgery. Her face is a little creepy. Creepy like a cat that's been stretched.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
But for much of her life Erica, now 43, has felt far from ebullient, having battled the debilitating neurological condition chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), once known as ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis).

(emphasis mine)

Isn't it a strange turn ? The US folks are finally starting to use ME and now UK wants to use CFS. OR is that just the journalist ?

Yes, the media can really twist thing around and put a slant. Been there done that.
It sounds like she is not connected to any true patient community ( whoever we are lol ). If she were, I can't imagine bringing up her other issues in an interview that talks about this illness, she would be all too well aware of the risk. Or maybe she really does believe what is written.
Point is, whatever her feelings or reasons or the press angle. An opportunity was missed. I hate when that happens.

SilverbladeTE

I'm afraid the British media is now notorious for this type of practice. Don't be like Crazy Miranda!

Lyrics of 'Crazy Miranda' here for anyone not familiar with them:

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/j/jefferson_airplane/crazy_miranda.html

yeah saw that with my Mum, local paper did article on her, about her paintings, I was there when they did the interview, what they PRINTED though was hguely different, they changed much of the meanings etc AND used a photo with a specificlaly harsh look out of all the ones they took (snapped her in just that one pic when she wans't ready so she was annoyed with the flash etc) and made Mum sound like a religious extremist loon, the sons of bitches :/

SilverbladeTE

I agree Barb - funny isn't it how we get these 'I'm recovered' stories after they've had some bad press or good challenging to the psychs stand. They certainly have a good relationship with the UK press. Always available to comment. The lovely Peter White who's done so much o_O not in a good way.
Now would the Daily Mail like to do a weekly, nay daily, story of a day in the life of - starting with some on here , we could keep them going for a few years. Of course it would make depressing reading so they probably don't really want that.
Rot rot and more rot. The fog lifted - how the hell - give us details - and then she made an album.
Give me strength.............literally.

yes, that is what it is ALL about: PROPAGANDA

biophile

Places I'd rather be.

Dmitri

Psychiatrists should be employed for resurrection of a 37,000 year old mammoth body. They will give the carcass a counseling session in order to reawaken the dead tissue.