• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sign Language

Hi All

On my not good days, when I am laying in bed unable to do anything, I always think of you who are much worse than myself, and wonder how on earth you cope. Especially with communication. This led me to thinking if I knew some sign language, it may make my life a little easier and a weeny bit less stressful. And therefore I think I would feel a little more confident, knowing I have done what I can to prepare myself for such times, if they should ever arise.

Do any of you use any types of signing, intermittently, as your health changes?

I would love to start a thread here, which would be able to help a lot of others, with ideas, signs etc. But, as I know very little, am asking you all to put your suggestions forward.

Cheers all, wishing you well. x

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi All

On my not good days, when I am laying in bed unable to do anything, I always think of you who are much worse than myself, and wonder how on earth you cope. Especially with communication. This led me to thinking if I knew some sign language, it may make my life a little easier and a weeny bit less stressful. And therefore I think I would feel a little more confident, knowing I have done what I can to prepare myself for such times, if they should ever arise.

Do any of you use any types of signing, intermittently, as your health changes?

I would love to start a thread here, which would be able to help a lot of others, with ideas, signs etc. But, as I know very little, am asking you all to put your suggestions forward.

Cheers all, wishing you well. x

I have a friend who had a guide dog that she trained in sign language. It was amazing to see her signing to her dog and the dog following instructions! :)

Sushi

GracieJ

I like this site: http://lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/concepts.htm

My knowledge of American Sign Language has been limited to baby signing, which does not always apply when talking with adults. I would hope we DO NOT need the sign for diaper change, EVER, thank you very much!

The above link gives a lot of basics with a nice clear drawing and a video for each sign.

Don't forget while learning the signs that whoever you will be "talking" with needs to learn them as well.

Signing has been a way of life with my small grandchildren, who are not hearing impaired, btw. It is priceless to be able to understand a baby as young as 4-5 months old when they are in need, and be understood quickly in return. Babies are amazingly patient when the full communication circle happens. My favorite story is of one granddaughter, 9 months old at the time. She would NOT go to sleep. Finally, I asked her (exasperated) what was wrong. She signed "hungry." Out to the kitchen for a snack and problem solved!

I also find I use it with deaf clients when they come in.

It is also handy when trying to communicate across a room full of noisy people!

Sushi, now that is dedication :), must have been wonderful to experience. Tell your friend from me, she is a very special person.

Gracie, thanks for the link, its somewhere to get started, and a lot to take in, so will look at it little and often, rather than blow my mind.

GG, there is so much I have learned since having my children, I wish I had been aware of signing as they grew up, one of my daughters uses it at school where she works, but she doesnt need it very much. Useful tool though.

When I had my darkest moments and was unable to speak, I used to worry that i would be like it forever, and this is what got me into thinking about signing. Even if it is baby signing, any form of communication would be good.

(Notice i wrote 'had my darkest moments', rather than 'have'. This feels somehow strange, as if I wont go back there again. I hope not. But, if I do, I will learn from it.)

Sunny Inside