• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Memory of Rich Van Konynenburg.

Dear Diana and to the community all over the world, I grieve with you. And Diana thank you for your open heartedness to invite the CFS community. He was beloved, I'm deeply sorry.

Thank you Rich for coming on the Experimental in the 90's and studying us. Thank you Thank you. You will always be in our hearts.

Blessings and Love, Susan

RivkaRivka

In addition to the in-person services the family is holding (detailed on Rich's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rich.vankonynenburg), we will hold a Celebration of Life and Memorial Service via telephone conference call for our beloved Rich Van K, so that the ME/CFS and Lyme and MCS communities -- including those who are bedridden and homebound -- have a place to say goodbye, pay our respects, grieve together and heal from this huge loss we feel so very deeply. Rich's wife, Diana, will join us. It will not be scheduled until a few weeks from now. -- Rivka

ixchelkali

Thank you for letting us know, and condolences on your loss. This is hard news. Rich was a kind and generous member of our community. I will truly miss him. Posting through tears.

This news hit me like a ton of bricks.

Since I discovered Rich and his theory 3-4 months ago,I have spent countless hours following in his footsteps, trying to learn the physiology. I have scoured this forum, studying just about every post he’s ever made. I feel like I knew him.

Speaking as an engineer, I came to idolize him a little. He was all about coming to understand the truth about CFS/ME – that was his priority. He questioned all assumptions, and always kept an open mind. If he didn't know something, he told you -- but he so often did know. He continually sought to refine his ideas against everyone's reality. He was objective, humble, compassionate, and fair. I developed a trust in him and his judgment, for all these reasons.

I think it was his humility I found so likeable. As an engineer and as a person, I saw in him things I really want to be. I feel like I’ve lost a leader and mentor, even though I never met him.

He’s going to leave a huge hole in this community -- and I will miss him tremendously.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
My condolences to you, Diana and to your family. I hope that you will find solace in the task of notifying everyone who cared about Rich. He earned an unusual breadth of affection and respect. He clearly bore the fruits of the Spirit.

richvank

Hello All.

I have just finished reading each of the comments that have been posted on this thread. The outpouring of love and caring for Rich and for me is overwhelming. Thank you for being a big part of his life. He cared deeply for all of you. Someone mentioned trying to compile Rich's past writings. What an undertaking that would be!

Thank you also for all of your kind words and support. And to the one who expressed regret for not posting a public appreciation for Rich, please know that he knew how much he was appreciated. One thing I would often tell him is that he was a world treasure. Rich was humble and modest, and he would protest that he was just an ordinary man. But it was true, and he smiled to hear me say it. He will live forever in my heart.

I wish each one of you health and happiness, and I hope the work Rich left behind will continue to be of help and comfort.

Diana Van Konynenburg

I just feel absolutely devastated, gutted! What an enormous loss, what a great man!
To Rich's wife and family, my deepest condolences on your loss - may he rest in peace.
To all the CFS/ME community I share your sadness, having been living with this terrible illness for 23 years I can tell you people like Rich have rarely come along, and what a loss, what a generous man, selfless!
God bless you Rich ~

sianrecovery

Dear Diane,

I am so so sorry for your loss, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Your husband's kindness, generosity of spirit, and clarity and brilliance of thought illuminated the darkness for so many of us.

Travel in the light Rich xxxxx

My condolences to you, Diana and to your family!

Like many here, I didn't know Rich in person, but I felt so sad when I heard these news. I have deep sympathies for him, for he was one of a kind. Genuinely interested in the wellbeing of complete strangers, working hard to find solutions, brave enough to come forward with his own hypothesis that would therefore be challenged publicy, but never ideological and always open for new ideas. Always there for others and a true gentleman. He gives hope to so many who struggle with their illness.
He will be missed by so many people.

Oliver

Very sad to hear this. He was so generous with his time and knoledge. Condolences to Dianna and his family. Huge loss.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
He will be missed by thousands.

Diana,

Alex was not exaggerating. I am one of those thousands that Alex is talking about. I never met Rich but I read so many of his very kind and informative messages on this forum. I will truly miss his input.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

perrier

Rich had le feu sacre, as we say in French: the Sacred Fire. Our very sincerest and deepest condolences Diana.

How we all miss him.

How I leaned on him and he never disappointed me when I turned for help.

(PS. There seem to be two threads on Ph. Rising dedicated to Rich. Are there any thoughts of putting them together.)

gu3vara

I'm so sad to learn the bad news :( Your husband was truly a great and humble man, he spent so much time trying to make us feel better, writing us detailed emails and post on forums while he could have simply enjoyed his retirement. My thoughts are with you and your family.

adreno

PR activist
I've just received this news today. What a terrible loss. Thank you Rich, for your commitment and care.