• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Countess of Mar Question

From mecfsforums repost:

This question refers to the recent Myhill et al paper:

The Countess of Mar is asking the right questions !-----

Health: Mitochondrial Disease
Question
Asked by The Countess of Mar
To ask Her Majesty's Government, further to the Written Answer by Earl Howe on 25 June (WA 22-3), what assessment they have made of the findings recently published in the International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine on mitochondrial dysfunction; and whether mitochondrial dysfunction occurs in any medical conditions other than chronic fatigue syndrome or myalgic encephalomyelitis.[HL1336]

17 July 2012 : Column WA36

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of Health (Earl Howe): We have made no assessment of this study, which looks at mitochondrial function in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis.
Mitochondrial disease affects all organ systems and mitochondrial dysfunction has been increasingly linked with a number of neurological conditions including stroke, seizures, ataxia, migraine and Parkinson's disease. There is also an association between mitochondrial dysfunction and a number of retinal degenerations, including diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration, as well as in some cardiac conditions such as cardiomyopathy or conduction defects. The most common condition related to mitochondrial dysfunction in the endocrine system is diabetes and adult onset diabetes has been found to have a mitochondrial component

Enid

She's marvellous the Countess of Mar - never given up from my ME beginnings 12 years ago (and fighting for correct recognition before then).