• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which CFS Symptom Do You Hate the Most?

mrweb

[banned as spam]
Share in this thread which symptom of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome do you hate the most and why.

I'll start: I hate feeling tired most of the time. Why? Because of feeling tired constantly, my time is extremely limited since I spend a great deal of it resting; and because of this, I am forced to plan out everything I do in order to get anything successfully done while I am awake.

snowathlete

for me, muscle weakness. Im a man, and i used to be strong. Now i struggle to hold my 8 month old daughter.
You dont realise how much a part of you it is as a man, to be strong and able, until its taken away from you.

LBS

If I only get to pick one, I'll go with soxfan, (waking up tired and fighting the fatigue all day) adding that I also hate the extreme irritability that goes with it!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
If I only get to pick one, I'll go with soxfan, (waking up tired and fighting the fatigue all day) adding that I also hate the extreme irritability that goes with it!
I find i dont have to worry about waking up and feeling tired with insomnia, he he lol.

Tristen

Used to be the OI. My experience is that's by far the worst of all the me/cfs symptoms. I had it for years, but none at all now.

Now days the PEM is my worst symptom. I'm pretty good doing nothing (which is major recovery for me), but the stress/exertion boundaries keep me very limited.

I was a cross country runner. Hiking (not running) one of my favorite trails is the goal.

Ocean

It's a tough choice for me between sleep problems and post-exertional sickness. I've been completely nocturnal and that is really inconvenient and unpleasant for many reasons but I'm having a hard choosing which is worse. I guess I think PES is still worse. I guess if I had my choice I'd rather be nocturnal if it meant I could have the ability to do things without becoming extremely sick for abnormally long periods. So for worst symptom, PES/PEM it is.

PokerPlayer

depression. period.

I have no ability to establish new relationships with people because I just feel not in the mood all the time. I have been putting off trying ldn and hoping that the ldn will help with depression.

I could live my life and be OK if I didnt have any depression but still had PEM and fatigue

Valentijn

Brain fog. When I can't think clearly, I can't figure out what to do to take care of the physical symptoms, and do really stupid stuff like forget to take some of the supplements I take every day. I also like being able to at least research stuff while trapped on the couch, and I hate not even being able to read or type on bad days because my brain just can't handle it.

fla

Loss of cognitive abilities. Loss of physical abilities and headaches and tinnitus and sleep troubles are horrible too but my brain was my bread and butter.

allyb

mrweb
Maybe you hit a raw nerve or caught me on a bad night; I have pondered since yesterday and on reflection, I HATE lots of the symptoms in equal measure but I have chosen one..........eventually

I hate the burning sensation that I get in my head,
Mitochondria malfunction; Im stuck in my bed.
I hate staying home when I need things from town,
My heart rate goes up and blood pressure down.
I have difficulty travelling; I cant sit for long,
My muscles are weak when they used to be strong.
I hate being sedentary, so inactive and slow,
When I used to have energy; always on-the-go.
I endure twitching muscles and migratory pain,
I hate my blood pooling, the effects on my brain.
I lose clarity of thought and it slows my cognition,
Causing muddled up sentences and word repetition.
I hate all this resting and having to pace
Im just as fatigued and I cant win a race.
I still have my humour; though its just not as fast
And I hate my quick wit is a thing of the past.
This list is not exhaustive of the things that I hate
But now Im exhausted; a familiar trait.

Part two: There are the secondary symptoms that I hate just as much

The symptoms are real but the medics dont look,
Its all in my head and its not in their book.
I can have CBT for false illness beliefs
My self-respect robbed by the dignity thieves.
The pain of my loved ones; from the havoc it wreaks,
The way we are silenced and made to look freaks.
We have no famous patron, to champion our plight,
Every day is a battle; we must keep up the fight.

If I have to choose one; as my list is not small,
I hate the injustice we face most of all.

Enid

Well said allyb - I thoroughly agree with Parts I and II expressed so well.And for me cognitive issues were possibility the worst though pain and sickness very close.

Marg

A toss up between insomnia and muscle aches, both of which wax and wane. When I do sleep muscles feel better. Anyone else have trouble sleeping when the moon is full?