• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Money for Phoenix Rising and WPI: Isearchgive instructional video!

citybug

You can also choose Igive as your regular search engine (make it default with arrow next to search box) you can always choose a different search engine if need a comprehensive search. I also installed the toolbar, so if make any purchases online many automatically give a percentage.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
It can certainly make a difference for Phoenix Rising. This is a very bare bones enterprise. It only needs to make a bit of money to remain viable (amounts of money that other organization would find laughable) but it definitely needs to do that.

Thanks for the idea about the Toolbar.

Tuha

I worte this post also in another thread but this thread read more people so I reposted it once more

monthly summary of the small project for money collection for WPI, Phoenix Rising:

I just checked how WPI and Phoenix Rising are doing on iGive after one month since we did a small call for this action. So this month just by searching we earnd for WPI 100 dollars (during first 5 months we earnd by searching only around 45 dollars) and for Phoenix Rising around 55 dollars.

WPI has around 150 supporters, Phoenix Rising 5. I think maybe only 5 supporters of WPI do searching regullary. if the supporters of WPI would be motivated like Phoenix Risings they would earn for WPI this mont 1 500 dollars.

To be motivated, it doesnt mean to spend the hours by doing searching on internet. It means to spend maybe 5-10 minutes a day (even not every day).I did it reagullary this month. I did every day for WPI around 1 dollar and for Phoenix around 0,5. It took me around 15 minutes a day and it wasnt even too boring. Here is Franks video, how to do it really fast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1m2ypch4y4

it is really good possibility for the people who cannot support financially CFS activities - like this is really easy to give 30 dollars a month. so people lets support us. maybe it looks stupid but it can work. So join us - maybe it will work slowly on the beggining but if the people will see that it works they will join us. so dont wait for the others and be first - you will not win a special price but you will be a small hero :)

I think if we would be good coordinated we would be able to earn by searching 1000 dollars a month (just by 5 minutes searching a day). maybe for WPI is 1000 dollars not so much (but better like nothing) but with this small activity we could support some small project which dont need so much money (maybe for Phoenix Rising it can be really useful). but this is a discussion for later if it would work. so lets see if it can work and if we are able to do something alone for us.

I am going to do my daily searching. i will just stop to read internet for 10 minutes and then i can continue

Merry

Hello, Searchers.

Yesterday morning the iSearchiGive total for Phoenix Rising was over $76. In the evening it was around $48 - about where it is this morning.

Does anyone know what happened?

It doesn't appear that that money went to Cort. If I understand correctly, iSearchiGive doesn't start paying until after 75 days, and the account was set up late in May.

Still hoping and searching,
Merry

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Thanks Frank and Merry and Tuha and Caledonia everybody else very much for helping with this. Tuha is right, it may not seem like a lot of money for a group like the WPI (altho they can use everything they can get) but it is alot of money for Phoenix Rising and it really does make a difference. I'm really surprised at how effective the IGive search can be.

I'm going to send out an email to the newsletter subscribers showing the different ways to support PR and we'll see if we can get some more people searching. I'm really shocked at how helpful the 7 people have been at the search. I'm sure some people are really putting some time in - Thanks!

I noticed the dramatic drop in money raised as well. It didn't go to me and I put in a ticket to them.

Frank

I think there's still a chance that the money is not gone, as you can see, the amount that's been taken is still between brackets (almost $60 for wpi and 20 something for PR..)

leela

Hi All,
The missing $$ is distressing...Hope it's just somewhere being made into a check!

I had a question for those who registered with iGive...I do my searching there anonymously because
I was afraid registering might up the solicitation spam in my inbox. Have any of you who registered there found that to be the case, or have you been spared an onslaught?

Tuha

Thanks Frank and Merry and Tuha and Caledonia everybody else very much for helping with this. Tuha is right, it may not seem like a lot of money for a group like the WPI (altho they can use everything they can get) but it is alot of money for Phoenix Rising and it really does make a difference. I'm really surprised at how effective the IGive search can be.

I'm going to send out an email to the newsletter subscribers showing the different ways to support PR and we'll see if we can get some more people searching. I'm really shocked at how helpful the 7 people have been at the search. I'm sure some people are really putting some time in - Thanks!

I noticed the dramatic drop in money raised as well. It didn't go to me and I put in a ticket to them.

So cort, let us know then where the problem is. I also ask myself if Franks video should be so public. i think iGive wouldnt be happy from the activities like this. Or do you think they already count with it? they already did some restrictions - I dont remember how many but there is a maximal searching per minute. it would be pity if they would make more restrictions.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Hi All,
The missing $$ is distressing...Hope it's just somewhere being made into a check!

I had a question for those who registered with iGive...I do my searching there anonymously because
I was afraid registering might up the solicitation spam in my inbox. Have any of you who registered there found that to be the case, or have you been spared an onslaught?

I haven't found any increase....my spam filter still seems to catch everything.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
So cort, let us know then where the problem is. I also ask myself if Franks video should be so public. i think iGive wouldnt be happy from the activities like this. Or do you think they already count with it? they already did some restrictions - I dont remember how many but there is a maximal searching per minute. it would be pity if they would make more restrictions.

You have a point. I'll have to look and see what their restrictions are.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Yeah Leela!

I got news on the drop in money...we had some people working a bit too hard :). Thanks for the effort, though :)
This is to inform you that we discovered certain supporters of yours who have been performing searches that do not meet our definition of a "Qualified Search". This activity violates our terms of service. (Terms are available for review at:http://isearch.igive.com/FAQ.cfm)

We will be contacting the members directly to cease this behavior.

This explains the drop in Cause Stats figure of $28.92.

bakercape

There

not going to allow people to just type in one search after another. I think to make it appear legit people are going to have to space out the searches. I try tosearch between 10- 20 times a day on seperate times that I log in. This way it doesn't look bad.

L'engle

moogle
It's best if there's a lot of people each doing a few searches, searches they would be doing anyway. There's only 9 of us on there right now supporting the forum. It's really easy to sign up and over a few months it could add up...

Merry

leela -

Here is the explanation for Qualfied Searches for iSearchiGive from the website:

A "Qualified Search" is an honest search made by a real human being using the web search feature. Robots, hackers, fancy computer scripts, and other fraudulent search attempts don't count. Earnings that result from unqualified or fraudulent search activity will be reversed. Fraudulent searches may result in you or your favorite cause being excluded from iGive.com.

Also, the following types of search activity will not count for a donation:

1) Searching for a URL or website domain. (Examples are search terms that end in .com, .org, .net, .edu, .tv, .ca, etc.)
2) Searching for sites with well-known URLs. (Examples are AOL, CNN, Facebook, Gmail, Hotmail, MySpace, etc.)
3) Repetitive Searching, defined as performing the same search more frequently than once per 60 minute period. In this case, only your first search for that term will result in a donation.
4) Exceeding 120 searches per hour. We will honor donations for up to 120 qualified searches per user per hour.
5) Searching for an image or video
6) Performing a "Search This Site" search
7) Searching for stock quotes or word definitions
8) Searching without having selected a cause first - we will not credit donations retroactively
9) Dishonest Searching, defined as searching for the sole purpose of increasing the money earned, without really caring about the search results.
10) Searches for Coupons, iGive Stores, and iGive Travel.

It's vitally important that real people, and only real people, use iSearchiGive.com in legitimate and normal ways. Otherwise, advertisers won't support us. Therefore, if we believe that any search activity isn't in this spirit, we'll declare it to be fraudulent and those earnings will be reversed.

If you are an iGive member who has chosen to receive a rebate check rather than donating your earnings, please note that you cannot raise funds for yourself through iSearchiGive.

-- END of pasted text

So, leela, I found that when I typed in "weather" and "hotmail" I got immediately a message that said those were not qualified searches. A message has also appeared when I've repeated a search within 60 minutes.

I suppose that if you were approaching the 120 searches per hour limit, your account would be flagged and analyzed to see if your heart is in the right place.

Merry

usedtobeperkytina

Well, I use ISearch to help WPI when on my laptop and I use it to help Phoenix Rising on my desktop. I was confused when I saw the dollar amount go down instead of up. Nice to understand now. But as far as I know, I have not violated their rules.

But, I will say, it isn't very good about the results of the search, in my opinion. But I will continue to use it.

Tina