• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

[ARTICLE] NAD+ biosynthesis, aging, and disease

nanonug

https://f1000research.com/articles/7-132/

Abstract
Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) biosynthesis and its regulation have recently been attracting markedly increasing interest. Aging is marked by a systemic decrease in NAD+ across multiple tissues. The dysfunction of NAD+ biosynthesis plays a critical role in the pathophysiologies of multiple diseases, including age-associated metabolic disorders, neurodegenerative diseases, and mental disorders. As downstream effectors, NAD+-dependent enzymes, such as sirtuins, are involved in the progression of such disorders. These recent studies implicate NAD+ biosynthesis as a potential target for preventing and treating age-associated diseases. Indeed, new studies have demonstrated the therapeutic potential of supplementing NAD+ intermediates, such as nicotinamide mononucleotide and nicotinamide riboside, providing a proof of concept for the development of an effective anti-aging intervention.

836582a0-2d86-49dd-8241-08ed31913901_figure1.gif

raghav

I took Life Extension NAD+, and the first day it was fantastic from the second day onwards it made me jittery and had to stop after 5 days. Any reason why it could be due to ? Does this deplete some other chemical in the body ?

Eastman

I took Life Extension NAD+, and the first day it was fantastic from the second day onwards it made me jittery and had to stop after 5 days. Any reason why it could be due to ? Does this deplete some other chemical in the body ?

In addition to its anti-aging role highlighted in nanonug's post, NAD+ is used in the production of ATP, and its effects here are likely to be much more immediate than its anti-aging effects, so I think they were probably what you saw. So nutrients that work with NAD+ in energy production, e.g. B1 and B2, are possible candidates for getting depleted.