• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FEVER and neurological changes in CFS - better or worse or no changes?

natasa778

Hi, just wondering if anyone here experiences obvious changes in neurogical function (brain fog etc) while they are running high fever??

Jenny

I'd be interested to know whether fevers are common natasa - I haven't had a fever for decades.

Jenny

Resting

I have had low-grade fevers for years with this (99-101.5). Unlike what I used to think, it isn't a virus causing them, it is the failure of the autonomic system to properly regulate body temperature. I have many neuro symptoms. They are always there as are the fevers. My neurologist is piecing it all together (slowly) but many of the symptoms I have are due to dysautonomia. This started with a virus which attacked the brain, caused the dysautonomia and that has caused low blood volume and circulation which just domino's from there.

I would have to say the higher the fever the worse everything else is as well. I hope that sort of answers your question.

just my two cents FYI.....I have never had a fever during any attacks. Not part of my symptom complex.

Min

Although I catch every bug going, my temperature is always way below normal - it only becomes 'normal' if I have really bad 'flu or similar.

Martlet

Although I catch every bug going, my temperature is always way below normal - it only becomes 'normal' if I have really bad 'flu or similar.

Mine was the opposite. We spent 18 months in Cincinnati in the late 80s and I had a temp of 101F all the time we were there. The doc said it was allergies ... that my body was reacting to them as if they were viruses. I didn't have ME/CFS then, but after several high fevers in the early months after developing it, my temperature became like yours.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
The course of my illness is probably somewhat unique. I won't go into all the details, but a low-grade fever hit me for a year and from which I've never recovered. If frequently spiked upon exertion - at which all my symptoms, especially pain and neurocognitive, got much worse. It was the beginning of dysautonomia for me. Fortunately the fevers are much better right now. I am only comfortable in a very narrow temperature range (68-72 degrees) which makes summer rather difficult.

I'm lucky to live in a dry climate. I'm quite sure I couldn't handle a humid one.

Otis

ixchelkali

I don't run high fevers, but I get frequent low-grade fevers. It's hard to say what a fever is, because when I don't have one, my temp is sub-normal. But when I do have a fever, yes, all the brain fog symptoms are noticably worse. All the flu-like symtoms are worse, too. To put it bluntly, I feel like crap.

My fevers are often part of "post-exertional malaise."

alex3619

Hi natasss778

This is not a normal symptom for me, except for 1985 when I was almost never without a fever. However, in the late 90s I had some kind of respiratory infecton with high fever that progressed to a candida infection in my mouth and throat, presumably due to my immune system being down. During this period I had a severe case of my senses being scrambed, definitely a neurological sign. I was seeing colours and smells, and all sorts of crazy things that would be a bit like hallucinating on some nasty psychotisis inducing drug. I also had severe vertigo during this period. I managed to get to a hospital but they gave me an antihistiamine (placebo?) and sent me home.

However, I have also had long periods (month years) when I felt like I had a fever and my temperature was normal. During these periods I had decreased brain fog and increased energy, though fatigue was untouched.

Bye
Alex

Hi, just wondering if anyone here experiences obvious changes in neurogical function (brain fog etc) while they are running high fever??

I

I'lltryagaintomorrow

I went through a period for about a year when I kept losing my voice and coming down with a fever after doing things such as going to Costco. Next I started running a very low temp for several months and now it seems stable. My symptoms now can change these days within minutes- sore throat, stomach ache, muscle spasms, rapd heartbeat, shortness of breath etc. The weird thing is that besides stomach problems, I NEVER get sick anymore. I almost always feel sick and fatigued (bed 95% of the time) but I never get any visible signs that anyone but me would know about.

After the fever then low temp period I had a horrible time with neurological problems- constant debilitating brain fog, oculdn't tolerate lights or even the slightest sounds or smells, vertigo, PAIN on the bottom of my feet, shoulder, wrists. The list goes on and on but now that I think back... even though I still feel lousy, I am much better. It is hard to beieve but I really have come a long way.

Resting

The course of my illness is probably somewhat unique. I won't go into all the details, but a low-grade fever hit me for a year and from which I've never recovered. If frequently spiked upon exertion - at which all my symptoms, especially pain and neurocognitive, got much worse. It was the beginning of dysautonomia for me. Fortunately the fevers are much better right now. I am only comfortable in a very narrow temperature range (68-72 degrees) which makes summer rather difficult.

I'm lucky to live in a dry climate. I'm quite sure I couldn't handle a humid one.

Otis

This sounds very familiar. Fevers starting and dysautonomia following. It has been 10 years and I still have low grade fevers which make my symptoms worse when they spike. The more I exert myself the higher the fever climbs which in turn causes all the symptoms to get worse. I too cannot tolerate the heat or cold temps. either. I was told by my doc that the heat causes inflammation in my brain and spinal cord. I think the cold causes the blood to clot somewhat which perpetuates the dysautonomia.

Unfortunately I do live in a location where it gets very hot and humid in the summers. I am REALLY grateful for the AC.