• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

uBiome results

jepps

That would be great, thanks.
Though I fear they only put what they found in the report, not what they didn't find (that seems to be what they do with the bacteria, does anyone know for sure?) so you never know what you may be missing, for better or worse.

Yes, nobody tests the microbiome or the toxins in the brain or in the nervs, where they produce probably more problems as in the gut. Maybe not the viruses make the damage, but more the places in the brain or nervs (f.ex. nerv roots) where they live.

But I am curious, what Ubiome tells about fungi and viruses in the gut in general in correlation to the bacteria. It´s the composition and the ratio, that is interesting, and the alterations in the gut within the years.

Ravn

Do any tests tell you what's not there?
I don't know but I think it would be useful.
An example, if I search my Ubiome report for e.coli I come up with nothing. This could theoretically be due to 2 reasons:
1/ Their methods are incapable of detecting e.coli. In this case a nil result tells me nothing. I may have e.coli or not.
2/ Their methods can detect e.coli. In this case a nil result tells me that I don't have e.coli.

As it happens, I know that for e.coli the answer is 2.
But for other organisms I have no idea so it would be helpful to get a report that effectively says we have looked for organism xyz and didn't find it.

alicec

so it would be helpful to get a report that effectively says we have looked for organism xyz and didn't find it.

The technique doesn't look for any particular organism. It sequences part of the 16S rRNA gene (which is specific to bacteria), in other words, all bacterial DNA, then assigns the results to different taxa from databases.

It is no more or less able to detect any particular bacterium than another. Some, though, are more difficult than others to be classified at the species level, hence the reporting only to the genus level on the website while those species level assignments which have been made are available for download if you are interested.

If a bacterium is not reported this means it is not present or present at a very low level.

ChrisD

I've just had the results of my Third Ubiome test back. My first was in 2016 during onset of CFS and Fibro, my second in 2017 at onset of ME and remission of Fibromyalgia, and my latest is 2018 with Mild to Severe ME yet improving slowly.

Noticeably after the use of many probiotics, my probiotic status is improving a lot since 2017 with Bifido and Lacto bacteria seeming to stick - yet still incredibly low. Some other stand out 'overgrowths' (Compared to all samples in database):

Parasutterella: 3.16 X
Erysipelatoclostridium: 3.26 X
Dialister: 2.03 X
Streptococcus: 2.01 X
Bilophila: 4.09 X
Odoribacter: 2.49 X
Adlercreutzia: 5.98 X

A majority of these have cropped up since my last test in 2017, I should note that I am on a High Fat Ketogenic diet and Low fodmap.

In the period of 2017-2018 when ME had been worst for me in summer 2017 and improving since then:
Granulicatella: 3.42 X
Haemophilus: 4.38 X
Corynebacterium: 8.33 X
Coprobacillus: 10.49 X
Marvinbryantia: 6.67 X
Bifidobacterium: 4.93 X
Sarcina: 4.62 X - A selection of significant changes when comparing those two samples.

ubiome: For a limited time, we’re offering our Five Site Explorer™ kit for $89. Simply use code SPRINGCLEANING2018 at checkout

------------------------------------

@jepps RE the Explorer PLUS any word on shipping or more info?

jepps

ubiome: For a limited time, we’re offering our Five Site Explorer™ kit for $89. Simply use code SPRINGCLEANING2018 at checkout

------------------------------------

@jepps RE the Explorer PLUS any word on shipping or more info?

Hi vaer, I did not yet receive the kit for the Explorer Plus. I contacted Ubiome, and they answered, the kit will be sent in spring (whatever spring means:))

Journeyman

Hi vaer, I did not yet receive the kit for the Explorer Plus. I contacted Ubiome, and they answered, the kit will be sent in spring (whatever spring means:))
I too am interested to know whether the Explorer Plus has started shipping yet? Any experiences?

I received my Explorer Plus

yay finally. can you upload a photo of the kit and contents? I wonder if they will still use the same tubes as with the 16S kits.

I did receive an 'updated' email last week from the explorer team telling me they are working hard to perfect Explorer Plus before any more details can be given of the product but to expect launch in the next few weeks.

..Well latest press release http://www.prweb.com/releases/2018/05/prweb15473902.htm stated they launched ExplorerPlus in jan ..

Journeyman

Hi Journeyman
I received my Explorer Plus recently but as yet I haven't taken the samples for testing.I hope to do that tomorrow
How long did it take them to get the kit to you after ordering? Also a question for everyone: it appears you get the opportunity to submit 3? samples with the Explorer plus kit so that you can see the results of any microbiome interventions made after the first test over time. How expensive is couriering each time to submit a sample from Australia? Are there any additional fee's or costs each time they process your sample after the 1st?

Regards

Journeyman

alicec

it appears you get the opportunity to submit 3? samples with the Explorer plus kit

What makes you think that? Are you thinking of Explorer time lapse?

How expensive is couriering each time to submit a sample from Australia?

Courier is not needed. Sample goes in the normal mail for just under $3.

My Explorer Plus kit hasn't arrived yet but since others have just received theirs, presumably it is on its way.

Learner1

I have done 2 uBiome tests, 3 months apart, as well as having a consultation with one of their consultants. It's been a very disappointing experience. I brought some issues to their attention and basically, they said that their product is for "personal research" and not for medical treatment (CYA for their laeyers and the FDA, likely).

I'd been on IV antibiotics for chlamydia pneumoniae, so my goal was to monitor my gut as I tried to improve my microbiome after them.

The test gave me a 98% wellness score, with almost no lacto and bididobacteria, and low values of everything they considered healthy. At least there isn't anything bad (or is there? I'm not sure this test could tell...)

My doctor and I were particularly curious about some wildly wacky numbers on my OAT test, which seem to be driven by multiple clostridia species (not c. diff so much...) They dont appear on my results, don't show up in the search function, and uBiome told me they don't test for those.

Before this, I'd been under the impression they did their DNA thing and just reported whatever showed up. Apparently, this is not the case at all...they look for only a few of the many strains that could be there. So, if you luck out, your test will reflect your microbiome, if not, and your microbiome doesn't match what they test for, your tesults wouldn't be very accurate.

The info they gave me, even with the consultant, was pretty useless. I'm doing most of them, except for metformin, which damages mitochondria and isn't appropriate for people with low to normal blood sugar, and the high maize starch and kefir, which I'm allergic to.

Next time, I'm going to go back to the DiagnosTechs GI-Map, a much better test.

alicec

I have done 2 uBiome tests,

I assume you mean the explorer test rather than Smart Gut. The former sequences all bacterial DNA present while the latter detects only specified organisms.

My doctor and I were particularly curious about some wildly wacky numbers on my OAT test, which seem to be driven by multiple clostridia species (not c. diff so much...) They dont appear on my results, don't show up in the search function, and uBiome told me they don't test for those.
Before this, I'd been under the impression they did their DNA thing and just reported whatever showed up. Apparently, this is not the case at all...they look for only a few of the many strains that could be there

You haven't got that quite right. The Explorer test does sequence all bacterial DNA present but the limitations of the 16S rRNA sequencing technique mean that it can reliably identify organisms only to the genus level. This is what is reported on their web page.

For some genera, species can be reliably detected and you can access this information by downloading your raw taxonomy data.

Clostridium is not one of the genera for which this is possible, so no it was never going to be the case that the test could confirm suspicions about overgrowth of Clostridial species. It would however confirm if you had elevated levels of Clostridium in general.

The GI-MAP test you advocate won't be able to shed light on the Clostridium question either. It is simply an old fashioned CDSA using culture to identify some microorganisms (a very imprecise and misleading method) with a few additional tests added on. One of these is C. diff toxin, which is not particularly what you are looking for. There are a few of the others things that could indeed be useful, but it won't give you any idea of the composition of your gut microbiota.

The Explorer test can do this reliably to the genus level for all bacteria and to the species level for some. It is not ideal but it is hoped that Explorer plus will add considerably more info.

Learner1

The last time I did a GI Map, there were many more species listed thsn I got out of uBiome. Thryve also gave a long list of species.

What good is genus without species? The species don't all behave the same way.

The other thing I found odd was that I did 2 samples both times and the samples on the same day varied dramatically. I am thinking it is because the sample is so tiny, where the other tests I've done use a bit larger sample.

At any rate, I got very little actionable information out of uBiome or their test. It doesn't seem ready for prime time.

The tests which also include SIgA, calprotectin, anti-gliadin antibodies, etc have been more useful. But none of these tests is perfect.

alicec

The last time I did a GI Map, there were many more species listed thsn I got out of uBiome.

I routinely get about 30 species identified and around 80-100 genera from Explorer. I've never seen any other kind of test that detects this many. Also the identification is reliable unlike that done with culture.

pamojja

Courier is not needed. Sample goes in the normal mail for just under $3.

I paid $19,90 for ordinary mail for them shipping their testkit to me in Austria. Otherwise in my case was a free offer, for which I'm very grateful for, to appease my curiosity.

I too think it's not the primetime for ubiome yet. Interesting yes, but still too inaccurate: 65% of the species, 24% of the genus level, 12% of the family and 10% of the order level non-identified in my sample. There could be a whole lot of bad bugs in so many unidentified. Diagnostically useless. Recommendations useless too, since I've been doing what's recommended already for 10 years.

Of course, others have gotten higher percentages identified, and indeed get an idea how to improve. Just not in my case.

Journeyman

I have done 2 uBiome tests, 3 months apart, as well as having a consultation with one of their consultants. It's been a very disappointing experience. I brought some issues to their attention and basically, they said that their product is for "personal research" and not for medical treatment (CYA for their laeyers and the FDA, likely).

I'd been on IV antibiotics for chlamydia pneumoniae, so my goal was to monitor my gut as I tried to improve my microbiome after them.

The test gave me a 98% wellness score, with almost no lacto and bididobacteria, and low values of everything they considered healthy. At least there isn't anything bad (or is there? I'm not sure this test could tell...)

Before this, I'd been under the impression they did their DNA thing and just reported whatever showed up. Apparently, this is not the case at all...they look for only a few of the many strains that could be there. So, if you luck out, your test will reflect your microbiome, if not, and your microbiome doesn't match what they test for, your tesults wouldn't be very accurate.

The info they gave me, even with the consultant, was pretty useless. I'm doing most of them, except for metformin, which damages mitochondria and isn't appropriate for people with low to normal blood sugar, and the high maize starch and kefir, which I'm allergic to.

Next time, I'm going to go back to the DiagnosTechs GI-Map, a much better test.

You're not the first to find uBiome's customer support less than... supportive. I'm still waiting on a reply to a February email which I followed up a week following original submission. Did you get the Explorer Plus test? If so then that's a poor show as they do say the Explorer plus includes an OAT component. Perhaps that's why they couldn't answer any of my OAT related questions in my original email (Too hard basket)... I like you also have high clostridia species but not Difficile so it appears the OAT from the Explorer Plus would be of little use. Whats worse is Great Plains Laboratories now require you to go through a Dr to request their OAT unlike before where I could just request it personally.

Looks like I may need to head down the Microba pathway - how about you @alicec have you got your microba kit yet?

Regards

Journeyman

Journeyman