• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New molecule BX795 clears latent HSV-1 from cultured infected cells

Wonkmonk

"[A] small drug molecule called BX795, which is sold to labs for use in experiments, helped clear HSV-1 infection in cultured human corneal cells, in donated human corneas, and in the corneas of mice infected with HSV-1. [...] Additionally, the concentration of BX795 needed to clear HSV-1 infection is quite low. We saw clearance of the virus at concentrations of BX795 that were five times lower than concentrations of antiviral compounds in available nucleoside analogs, Shukla said. [...] Because BX795 targets a common pathway that many viruses use to replicate inside the cell, it could be a new kind of broad-spectrum antiviral that might be used to treat other viral infections. [...] Because of BX795's low toxicity, it has a great potential for systemic use as well as topical application."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180215110339.htm

Hip

BX795 is also a PDK1 inhibitor, which might be useful in ME/CFS given, that Fluge and Mella found significant upregulation of PDK1, PDK2, and PDK4 in PBMCs from ME/CFS patients.

Last edited:

Wonkmonk

No, I don't have any further information. From what I know I'd conclude that (a), it's safety is not established and (b), it can only be obtained from labs if you can prove you are making a clinical trial or other research, so you'd need to be or know a doctor or scientist to obtain it.

But what's interesting, this newer article says the following:

"BX795 works by blocking viral protein synthesis through Akt, a host cell molecule required to start protein synthesis."

https://www.precisionvaccinations.com/bx795-reduces-herpes-virus-treating-hsv1-infections-eye

It was discussed in another thread that miltefosine also inhibits Akt and there are studies who showed the effectiveness against Herpes Simplex in vitro. Miltefosine is approved against Leishmaniasis, is available with prescription and from what I know is reasonably safe.

That said, however, @Hip opined that because of the strong affinity to plasma bonding, miltefosine might not reach sufficient intracellular concentrations. But I am still thinking about trying it, just to see what happens.