• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The link between the first polio vaccine in 1934 and the first observed ME outbreak

Annikki

In some sort of weird corroboration to this article, apparently there's been an actual study done involving the polio vaccine and ME/CFS:
Consequences of live poliovirus vaccine administration in chronic fatigue syndrome.
Link to study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9143253

The poliovirus vaccine has also been attributed to cancer. It seems to be more than an urban legend, there's been a study done on this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10472327

Last edited:

1gooddog

There is no especial reason to blame thimerosal for this.
Various natural infections have been found to cause CFS, from flu to giardia.

The modified polio virus in these early attempts at attenuation is one plausible trigger. Polio already has a well known effect in those who get it, https://www.medicinenet.com/post-polio_syndrome/article.htm Post polio syndrome in some aspects mimics CFS, and it's not a huge stretch to imagine that an attenuated vaccine might cause a different form of post polio syndrome.

Or, indeed that the attenuated infection directly caused CFS.
Pandemic influenza diagnosis for example caused a doubling of new cases of CFS.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26475444 -

1gooddog

Relatively new to this site, but I have a concern that may have previously been addressed.

I have always had a feeling this disease may have been caused by a virus that lingered in the body. Such as chicken pox/shingles.

I am a baby boomer that lived through the worst polio epidemics in the US. I understand there were flu-like cases with no paralysis. In other words had it without knowing it.

I also received the 1950's Salk vaccine and the first liquid in the 1960's.

Has a link to polio, or the early vaccines been investigated? My former baby boomer PCP had mentioned some adult post-polio effects that appeared to be CFS/ME. At the time I told him I had never been dx with polio. Of course this does not explain this disease striking young people at this time. But has polio been seriously investigated in these times. I often feel like governments declare their efforts 100% successful, but are they?

Fortunately this site has so many experts that I feel certain this has been discussed in the past.

Not a conspiracy theorist - just searching for answers, leaving no rock or cow pie unturned.

1gooddog

"The first failed polio immunization: Medical publication interest however centred around the staff of the Los Angeles County General Hospital when 192 physicians and hospital health care workers fell ill following an immunization of what was thought to have been an injection of sterile immune convalescent serum taken from what was believed to have been recovered polio patients. It was never resolved whether their illness was caused by the immunization or contact with the thousands of patients who appeared at the doors of the hospital in 1934."

That doesn't sound like an actual vaccine, but the hope that something in the blood of recovered polio survivors would help prevent the disease. It is easy to forget how little was known about medicine in 1934.

My mother had a medical book from about then that she always consulted, much to our amusement. One part speculated that boys came from eggs from one overy while girls came from the other.

I read an article recently, no idea where, that spoke about the first case of autism,but it was a boy. His US doctor called it Autism while a German doctor Asperger was looking at the disease in Europe.

I am wary about "evidence" against vaccines. The real problems with them are muddied by polemic and the autism community feel the same way about vaccines "causing" autism as we do about BPS theories. All that money wasted to no avail.

1gooddog

"My mother had a medical book from about then that she always consulted, much to our amusement. One part speculated that boys came from eggs from one overy while girls came from the other."

Now I know where that advice to potential parents came from. When I first married in 1971, I heard this from the female in-laws. Sleep on one side after sex for a boy and the other side after sex for a girl.

I didn't care what I had, but I think in the back of my mind that tidbit lingered. In my case one boy and one girl. Every mother in my family of in-laws did it. In my generation, all parents each had one boy and one girl. My mother-in-law swore by it as after two sons (free farm labor, haha) she wanted a girl. It played out.

We know better, but I find it funny to learn where that concept originated.

1gooddog

"I am wary about "evidence" against vaccines. The real problems with them are muddied by polemic and the autism community feel the same way about vaccines "causing" autism as we do about BPS theories. "

Think what you may about vaccines, Ii am pro-vaccine, but - there have been bad batches.

The year my young son received a vaccine, he had a very bad reaction causing swelling and inflammation of the entire limb. (arm or leg?) My nephew, his cousin, same age receiving same vaccine also had a very bad reaction involving severe swelling of that limb. We were very concerned and it was later revealed they had received vaccine from a bad batch.

I also had a very severe reaction to a tetanus booster. Possible from a bad batch.

This all makes me wonder if my disease was caused by some damaged vaccine. As a baby boomer I received the first series of Salk and later the first of the liquid drops.

Also, pre vaccine for everything era - I had every childhood disease of the time, including 3 forms of measles, chicken pox, mumps.

I also believe governments and agencies are capable of skewing results for their own purposes.

We are searching for answers. Overlook nothing.

halcyon

Has a link to polio, or the early vaccines been investigated? My former baby boomer PCP had mentioned some adult post-polio effects that appeared to be CFS/ME.
You might find this interesting. Dowsett was one of the foremost experts on ME, and states there that ME and post polio syndrome are clinically identical.

SilverbladeTE

and we have to remember in the early days, especially in the nasty times around 1930s when a lot of VERY negligent or downright criminal "research" was carried out, the really didn't have much of a clue or ability to detect problems,
so any vaccination system from before around 1970 perhaps, should be considered with a very wary eye for potential serious contamination

see what the scumbags got up to in the Belgian Congo, or in orphanages in Ireland and many other countries during 1930s. they BURIED their mistakes (see actual secret burial sites being dug up now in such places).
potential for infecting many people, potentially much of the Human Race, with virii etc was a certainly possible for a long time.
this could have created many long term effects, from retroviruses, to inducing worsening spirals of adverse reactions (reinforced with every generation getting exact same ones...or even just the adjuvants)

1gooddog

It
and we have to remember in the early days, especially in the nasty times around 1930s when a lot of VERY negligent or downright criminal "research" was carried out, the really didn't have much of a clue or ability to detect problems,
so any vaccination system from before around 1970 perhaps, should be considered with a very wary eye for potential serious contamination

see what the scumbags got up to in the Belgian Congo, or in orphanages in Ireland and many other countries during 1930s. they BURIED their mistakes (see actual secret burial sites being dug up now in such places).
potential for infecting many people, potentially much of the Human Race, with virii etc was a certainly possible for a long time.
this could have created many long term effects, from retroviruses, to inducing worsening spirals of adverse reactions (reinforced with every generation getting exact same ones...or even just the adjuvants)

1gooddog

Re contamination - No they didn't know and in some cases are still just as ill-equipped. They had to start somewhere and sadly, innocent victims suffered for all our sakes. It wasn't right to consider humans as indispensable, but it is over with. In the past and we have too much to worry about now. There is much more oversight now. We weren't there or responsible.

One reason we continue to suffer and things move so slowly now, stems from the hijacking of medicine by the mental health field. I was just referred to cognitive behavioral therapy!

However, the vaccines for Polio and Small Pox did stop more major epidemics. I recall the years of the epidemics and quarantines. Of the home procedures for keeping everyone else healthy through the use of HOT soapy water to sterilize and kill some germs, prior to the massive mis-use of anti-biotics creating super bugs. They do not seem to be concerned with the long range effects of these viruses and vaccines - is anybody even looking. (Reference CDC and NIH) There is a whole generation of us with strange illnesses, autoimmune diseases that are possibly waste products of former cures.

They also tend to want to say everything is genetic. Really! We have a toxic environment with all the heavy metals, plastic, chemicals and garbage that has been forced upon us.. How did we get away from glass for storage. As a younger person I was only fed oleo, with some artificial coloring added so it didn't look like butter. More like genetic damage. I think there is a lot more to come from all the mistakes and mis-use and artificial lives we lead. What will be the outcome of the new generations use of and addiction to electronic devices? Yes addiction!

Thankfully I did survive. However, I feel some reference to these early days demands some recognition and research. I am a walking lab rat just waiting for a researcher to come along and maybe learn something. However, they tend to rule out the "older" generation who actually went through the testing grounds. They feel we have other problems that are contributing. Besides which, there aren't that many of us left to worry about. I submit I have been tested for everything, several times including the past year. We do know all I don't have. Nothing I do have should get in the way of researching for something that happened a LONG time ago, and witnessing the results.

SilverbladeTE

Polio *is* bad, but it's not anything like the same class of horror and massive societal damage as smallpox.
Smallpox could bring civilization to its knees in worst case scenario, and certainly could bring chaos and mega deaths worldwide, ergo, it is was worth extensive even forceful vaccination.
Anything less severe, the ends do not justify the means.

ie using "herd immunity" as excuse to plaster the population with vaccines, by coercion, as opposed to letting folk make their mind up, or where specific high risks might occur.
for example, many trades it's an extremely good idea to get a tetanus shot and update as need.
but one of the vaccines Big Pharma has been touting to get pushed onto infants is of little real benefit vs risk in the West where kids have clean water/food etc.

and there are VAST areas we simply do not understand, never mind the lies that will always come with Big Business/government collusion.
e.g. is vaccination, in the long run, good for Human health? (I'm talking centuries, millennia ahead)
innoculation is not the same as natural infection
vaccine strains are used for far too long, after they have changed in the wild, but every new update runs new risks.
it's a subject that should be treated with extreme care and without political bull****, or corruption for money being issues.
We Humans, in groups, have incredibly short sighted outlooks :/

what the SOBs have overlooked in their arrogance, is that for every vaccination, same as any use of potent drug, their is risk of adverse reaction.
More you do this, specially with different drugs/vaccine strains, the odds will eventually fall against you.
so they should be saved for serious risk...but where that risk vs benefit "line" exactly is...I genuinely don't know, except in extremes.

vaccines are life savers, but they are not without risk and the contemptible way they are treated as totally safe, when they mostly certainly are not
decision should be left ot the patient to decide, short of extreme scenario.
forcing folk to undergo medical procedure without *enormous* danger, is itself, enormously dangerous and guaranteed to be abused, as we know all too well....

my 2 cents