• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

famvir and probenicid

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hi, i use famvir for ebv and have had some good effects from it in reguards to symtoms and in blood work eg lowered my elevated lymphocytes but still out of range.
Probenecid i believe is used for gout but also used to increase blood levels of other meds. So im thinking of trying to use it to increase blood levels of famvir as this will work out alot cheaper then just increasing the dose of av's.

Has anyone had experience with this? i suppose one problem will be with other meds but can work around this.

Thanks

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
How much benefit would you say you've gotten from Famvir? More energy, better sleep, better cognition, better functionality?....anything in particular.

Also what prompted the doctor to start you on it? High pathogen levels of some sort?

heapsreal

hi cort

I prompted my doc for av's. Blood tests(lymphocyte sub set test) showed i had elevated lymphocytes, especially cd8 and cd4, which my doc speculates is ebv reactivating. The av's werent like a bolt of lightening, but after several months i relised i hadnt had my usual crashes. blood tests showed my lymphocytes had gone down, but still above normal. slow steady improvement in stamina and post extertional malaise as well as some reduction in muscle pain. I have gone from struggling to work parttime to now working fulltime, so like a 5or6 to an 8. all this lasted 6 months then started to have mini crashes lasting a day or 2, crashed for 5 weeks in july august, but was still able to work full time with a few sickies and days off in bed, am now abit better. so still up and down, just on a slightly higher plane now. would like to try higher doses of avs to maybe hit it on the head, but too costly. the reason for looking into probenicide, or something else to augment it. sleep is always an issue with me and 20 years of shift work hasnt helped either.

heapsreal

hi

Hi guys,
my last blood test showed my antivirals are doing their job, my lymphocyte subsets have gone down, only a couple are just outside of normal. I also suggested to my doc about using probenecid with my AV's. Probenecid is a medication for gout which can also increase the blood levels of other meds like antibiotics and AV's and increase there half life. Its been a little over a week and already feeling better. Down the track I may reduce my dose of AVs as the probenecid obviously increases its effectiveness, which is a saving to my bank account.

hvs

Yes, I am using probenecid to increase lifespan of vistide in my blood, too. Ross indicated that used it, too, but I believe he began to react negatively to it and stopped and just used visitide by itself.

I have no problem with the probenecid or Vistide. When I get a chance, I will report on my positive experience with Vistide...

*GG*

Hello heapsreal

Have you considered (LDN) Low dose naltrexone?

Not familiar with your meds but sounds like LDN could be helpful?

Best of luck.

GG:confused:

heapsreal

hi

Have heard of LDN, keeping it on the back burner for now as going really well with current treatment, but it does intrigue me. I thought it was more of a pain relief thing, helping increase natural opiates. Can it also be used to strengthen immune system as well?

heapsreal

Yes, I am using probenecid to increase lifespan of vistide in my blood, too. Ross indicated that used it, too, but I believe he began to react negatively to it and stopped and just used visitide by itself.

I have no problem with the probenecid or Vistide. When I get a chance, I will report on my positive experience with Vistide...

What is visitide??

lostinthedesert

Killer, Clown, Priestess
Have heard of LDN, keeping it on the back burner for now as going really well with current treatment, but it does intrigue me. I thought it was more of a pain relief thing, helping increase natural opiates. Can it also be used to strengthen immune system as well?

From what I have read, it appears that many immune cells have opioid receptors and that the endorphins may be involved in immune signaling. This is the main theory about how LDN works though there are some who believe that it also may have a positive effect on ... I think it was superoxide levels in nervous system tissue but I have to check again because I'm pretty foggy.

There is a lot of LDN info on the net and also some interesting talks by doctors on youtube.

I don't think I can get a doc to prescribe antivirals even though I have active zoster (or something that sure looks and feels like it) nor am I able to deal with the costs right now. I just priced famvir and can see that it would add up fast. No idea if I could tolerate it either. LDN is dirt cheap so it is appealing in that way and I seem to be tolerating it so far.

Peace,
S