• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stabbing Headache When Moving - Do I Have POTS?

Hi All,

I've had a unusual headache for the last few days, I normally get headaches most days anyway but this one is different. Whenever I get up from sitting down I have a dull ache in the back left side of my head which lasts for around 5 seconds then goes. I think it could be what's known as an Ice Pick Headache but I also believe I may have POTS as over the last year I have experienced being very breathless/dizzy/rushing when standing. Anyway just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Seven7

Seven
There is something called Poor's man tilt table test, that will tell you, try different times, different days, different times a day. Compile the data, if positive, see an electrophisiologyst. They will medicate you accordingly.

JES

@dannydgm You can easily do a basic test to exclude/confirm POTS. Measure your heart rate at rest, sitting or preferably lying, then measure again as you stand up. If there is an increase of over 30 beats per minute, then you have POTS according to most criteria.

There is something called Poor's man tilt table test, that will tell you, try different times, different days, different times a day. Compile the data, if positive, see an electrophisiologyst. They will medicate you accordingly.

Thank you, i'll give it a go!

@dannydgm You can easily do a basic test to exclude/confirm POTS. Measure your heart rate at rest, sitting or preferably lying, then measure again as you stand up. If there is an increase of over 30 beats per minute, then you have POTS according to most criteria.

Thank you for the info ;-)