• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If Equilibrant Works for a Patient, is there any Consensus for How Long it Takes/What Dose?

used_to_race

Title says it all really. I've been taking Equilibrant for 10 days or so now, and my symptoms have been fluctuating, but within normal ranges I'd say. No indications yet that it's doing much. I'm up to 1/2 tablet per day, so I'd imagine it's not realistic to expect a benefit quite yet. Let's say I'm in the magical subgroup that responds to Equilibrant (I am, after all, a younger male who hasn't been sick for very long and isn't severely ill). Should I expect to see results after a month? Dr. Chia told me there's no need to go above 2 tablets per day, but I've seen people taking 6-10 tablets a day or sometimes more and only then getting results. What's the deal with this?

junkcrap50

There are other posts about this, but I thought one needed to wait at least 3 months to see if there's a response. I took it for 6 months with no change and was taking 6 pills a day, because the box said 3 pills bid. After 6 months I stopped. But my understanding is that 3 months will determine if you need to keep taking it.

Hip

Should I expect to see results after a month? Dr. Chia told me there's no need to go above 2 tablets per day, but I've seen people taking 6-10 tablets a day or sometimes more and only then getting results. What's the deal with this?

Results from oxymatrine (if you are one of the responders) will tend appear at around the 2 month point approximately. Often patients will feel worse before getting better, and feeling worse is a good sign that the immune system is starting to fight off the virus. Sometimes patients will even experience a fever for a few days, and when the fever it over, they start feeling much better.

However, my understanding is that patients would normally increase the oxymatrine dose a little week by week, ramping up to a maximum of around 6 pills a day. So I am not sure why Dr Chia said to you that you don't need to go above 2 pills per day. Perhaps he has changed his protocol.

Dr Chia says that if oxymatrine does work for you, continuing taking for 1 year will help avoid relapse. Ref: 1

Here are some useful posts/threads on oxymatrine:

Dr Chia: Oxymatrine
Oxymatrine, Autoimmunity, ME/CFS and FM
Quixotic: Equilibrant
Invest in ME 2010 conference transcript
oxymatrine effects
immunomodulators info