• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Breathing Issues/Awareness

GreenMachineX

For the past 6 weeks I’ve been experiencing a few strange symptoms in relation to breathing, a lump in my throat that seems to happen shortly after eating and goes away with enough burping (haven’t had in 3 days since beginning 3mg melatonin nightly), and another issue of breathing difficulty.

It’s not necessarily difficulty as it is an exaggerated awareness of my breathing and making sure I continue to breathe. I haven’t actually stopped breathing ever, but it also feels like the space in my rib cage won’t allow for full breaths. It’s very strange and doesn’t happen with any consistency. It hasn’t happened while working out at all. My o2 saturation can be 99% when it’s happening.

Has anyone experienced this? It all started after I ceased all supplements (about 5 days after) which I did because of an overmethylation nightmare that I didn’t know what it was at the time. I have histamine intolerance but no asthma. I’ve had chest X-rays and doctors listen to my lungs and found nothing. I don’t get it.

Seven7

Seven
OI for me, check your Hear rate and see if it is too high. You have to monitor it specially when you are upright for long

GreenMachineX

What is OI?

My heart rate is usually 60-80 depending on what I’m doing, never too high or low when I feel it.

lafarfelue

OI = Orthostatic Intolerance. Sits under the umbrella of Dysautonomia. Quite a few people with ME/CFS have dysautonomia/OI/POTS. Perhaps worth looking into?

Alternatively, you can search for 'air hunger' here on these forums. There's a fair bit of information that may help.

GreenMachineX

I’d also like to point out that this symptom only occurs during the day. Never at night. That is starting to lead me to believe it’s partly psychological.

I do get the “air hunger” or “out of breath for no reason” once a week during the night, but that’s a different symptom.

Eastman

... a lump in my throat that seems to happen shortly after eating and goes away with enough burping (haven’t had in 3 days since beginning 3mg melatonin nightly)...
Were you suspecting GERD for that part of your problem?

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: More Than Heartburn
What are the common signs of GERD?
The most common sign is heartburn...

GERD can cause other signs, too. You can even have GERD without having heartburn.

Sometimes GERD can cause problems in your throat. It can make you feel like you have a lump in your throat or like you always have to clear your throat. It can also cause hoarseness. You might be more hoarse when you first get up in the morning.

Melatonin for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease.
Abstract
The enterochromaffin cells of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract secrete 400 times as much melatonin as the pineal gland; therefore, it is not surprising that research is finding that this indole plays an important role in GI functioning. In animal studies, it protects against GI ulcerations, and randomized clinical trials suggest its efficacy in treating functional dyspepsia and irritable bowel syndrome. Melatonin administration has been shown to protect against esophageal lesions in animals. Moreover, in a randomized, single-blind clinical trial of subjects with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), the combination of melatonin with other natural supplements was found to be superior to omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). Its administration as a single treatment for GERD has not been previously reported. A 64-year-old Caucasian female who required treatment with a PPI for symptoms of GERD wished to substitute a natural treatment because of the risk of worsening her osteoporosis. She experienced a return of symptoms following each of three 20-day trials of a proprietary blend of D-limonene when attempts were made to discontinue the PPI. She then underwent a trial of a natural formula consisting of melatonin 6 mg, 5-hydroxytryptophan 100 mg, D,L-methionine 500 mg, betaine 100 mg, L-taurine 50 mg, riboflavin 1.7 mg, vitamin B6 0.8 mg, folic acid 400 microg, and calcium 50 mg. After 40 days, the PPI was withdrawn without a return of symptoms. Subsequently, an attempt to reduce melatonin to 3 mg resulted in symptoms, while all other ingredients were withdrawn with minimal symptoms during 10 months of follow-up.

The potential therapeutic effect of melatonin in gastro-esophageal reflux disease
Conclusion
From the results of our study, it can be concluded that melatonin could be used in the treatment of GERD either alone or in combination with omeprazole. The combination therapy of both melatonin and omeprazole is preferable as melatonin accelerates the healing effect of omeprazole and therefore shortens the duration of treatment and minimizes its side effects.