• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to Correct a magnesium deficiency? Magnesium Cofactors for Absorption?

liverock

I suspect I have a severe magnesium deficiency which I think may be causing my CFS along with a list of other symptoms.
The symptoms I experience are :

1)Severe Chronic Fatigue
2)Anxiety/Depression
3)Brain Fog
4)Delirium/ Disassociation/ Disconnection from reality.
5) Muscle Cramps/ Spasms / (Eye spasms being a big indicator of a mag deficiency.)
6)Muscle Pain
7)Tendon Pain/ Tendonitis in every tendon. (Constant tendon breakdown, I can't even lift weights or go to the gym/ strenuous activity anymore without pain)
8)Urticaria/Hives
9)Blurred Vision/ Light Sensitivity
10) Loss of feeling/touch (loss of nerve function)
11) Neuropathy/ Restless leg syndrome
12) Poor Blood Circulation/ cold hands and feet all the time.
13) Reduced Ability to learn / remember
14)Tinnitus
15) Brittle Teeth. (Can chip easily if I'm not careful while eating with a metal utensil)

So I went and tested both serum and rbc levels. The serum test is only 1-3% accurate and I got a 2.2 (normal range 1.5-2.5). The rbc is 40% accurate and I got a 4.3 (normal range 4.2-6.8) although some doctors believe (6.0-7.0) is optimal range for this test. I can't afford the exatest which is the most accurate magnesium test so I'm basically just relying on the rbc test and going by feel of my symptoms day to day.

*My calcium, potassium, sodium , iron and zinc show they are in normal range.

I started taking magnesium pills and for the first month they were working but then they kind've pooped out and stopped working. I'm guessing I depleted an important cofactor of absorption for the magnesium?
I was taking with them a strong multi with b vitamins, d, and selenium and still they aren't being absorbed well. I'm ordering some l-taurine because I think this is a very strong cofactor for them to get into my cells and stay there efficiently.
The reason I posted on this forum is because I want to know if anyone has ever suffered from this horrible deficiency and what have they done to correct it? What was your cocktail of supplements or diet plan like? I'm in desperate need of help. Any type of useful information or help will be greatly appreciated.

90% of your symptoms are the same as MERCURY TOXICITY, do you eat a lot of seafood or have many silver teeth fillings?
Mercury builds up slowly and it eats up magnesium constantly as well as many other nutrients.

Mercury is also a bully and will occupy the sites normally reserved for minerals such as magnesium, and that could be why you cant get your magnesium levels increased.

https://evenbetterhealth.com/heavy-metal-poisoning-mercury.php

If you have not already had a mercury test I would recommend you get one from your doctor as soon as possible.

Carl

Has your magnesium increased at all with that specific supplement routine you have been following with the taurine ? I just ordered some taurine yesterday and I'm praying it will work. I'm so tired of feeling like complete garbage from this horrible deficiency. I want it to end . Lol
I doubt that it is simply the magnesium deficiency which is causing all your problems, if so then you would not have CFS/ME/Fibro.

I may of missed it earlier in this thread, what forms of magnesium have you taken? Stomach acid is needed for some forms to be absorbable and hypochlorhydria is often a problem in CFS, often because of urease bacteria which is where all the ammonia comes from. Have you had a stomach acid test? I am well aware of this because I have quite a strong urease bacteria which I believe could be staphylococcus captis urealiticum in my stomach, not quite as strongly urease active as helicobacter pylori but fairly close. I am planning their destruction ATM along with the cause of CFS.

I have not had any magnesium tests done in a long time so cannot say but I do not have any of the symptoms that I had when I was much younger such as eye twitching or cramps. Magnesium carbonate when reacted with things like ascorbic acid to form magnesium ascorbate, glycine to form magnesium glycinate, malic acid to form magnesium malate are all highly absorbable and it does also neutralise the acidity which urease bacteria react against with ammonia. I do pH balance it aiming for around 7pH. Around £13 buys 1Kg of magnesium carbonate and a 5ml scoop loosely packed/skimmed provides about 200 mg of magnesium so it works out very good value. I purchased 2.5Kg a year ago which cost me £29.99 and still have close to 1Kg left but it is now harder to find. Other supplemental acids do come into the cost but it is still good value IMO.

I do not take taurine specifically for any effect on magnesium, I take it because I am T1 diabetic and it has been shown to be helpful to cardiovascular health. Taurine can be very beneficial for anyone and it does spare Cysteine for glutathione production because cysteine is needed to make Taurine. Taking the burden off the liver in it's production by supplying it is also helpful.
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2013/6/the-forgotten-longevity-benefits-of-taurine/page-01

90% of your symptoms are the same as MERCURY TOXICITY, do you eat a lot of seafood or have many silver teeth fillings?
Mercury builds up slowly and it eats up magnesium constantly as well as many other nutrients.

Mercury is also a bully and will occupy the sites normally reserved for minerals such as magnesium, and that could be why you cant get your magnesium levels increased.

https://evenbetterhealth.com/heavy-metal-poisoning-mercury.php

If you have not already had a mercury test I would recommend you get one from your doctor as soon as possible.
I remember eating a lot of canned tuna over the summer so maybe I increased my mercury but I've been having these symptoms since I was a teenager so I'm not 100 percent convinced it' mercury but now you mentioned it I want my mercury levels checked cause I'm willing to do anything to heal myself from this.

I doubt that it is simply the magnesium deficiency which is causing all your problems, if so then you would not have CFS/ME/Fibro.

I may of missed it earlier in this thread, what forms of magnesium have you taken? Stomach acid is needed for some forms to be absorbable and hypochlorhydria is often a problem in CFS, often because of urease bacteria which is where all the ammonia comes from. Have you had a stomach acid test? I am well aware of this because I have quite a strong urease bacteria which I believe could be staphylococcus captis urealiticum in my stomach, not quite as strongly urease active as helicobacter pylori but fairly close. I am planning their destruction ATM along with the cause of CFS.

I have not had any magnesium tests done in a long time so cannot say but I do not have any of the symptoms that I had when I was much younger such as eye twitching or cramps. Magnesium carbonate when reacted with things like ascorbic acid to form magnesium ascorbate, glycine to form magnesium glycinate, malic acid to form magnesium malate are all highly absorbable and it does also neutralise the acidity which urease bacteria react against with ammonia. I do pH balance it aiming for around 7pH. Around £13 buys 1Kg of magnesium carbonate and a 5ml scoop loosely packed/skimmed provides about 200 mg of magnesium so it works out very good value. I purchased 2.5Kg a year ago which cost me £29.99 and still have close to 1Kg left but it is now harder to find. Other supplemental acids do come into the cost but it is still good value IMO.

I do not take taurine specifically for any effect on magnesium, I take it because I am T1 diabetic and it has been shown to be helpful to cardiovascular health. Taurine can be very beneficial for anyone and it does spare Cysteine for glutathione production because cysteine is needed to make Taurine. Taking the burden off the liver in it's production by supplying it is also helpful.
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2013/6/the-forgotten-longevity-benefits-of-taurine/page-01
It says online that mag def causes severe fatigue since it causes mitochondrial malfunction and messes with atp which is responsible for energy production.

pamojja

Around £13 buys 1Kg of magnesium carbonate and a 5ml scoop loosely packed/skimmed provides about 200 mg of magnesium so it works out very good value. I purchased 2.5Kg a year ago which cost me £29.99 and still have close to 1Kg left but it is now harder to find.

Where can you get Mg carbonate?

Carl

I purchased the 2.5Kg on eBay. I made sure that it was food grade. However now it is harder to find on ebay.co.uk with only one seller who also has an online store minerals and water and also sell tiny amounts on ebay 100g max. Their online store does have 500g amounts and only a little more than I paid last year. They might ship to Europe if you cannot find it locally.

Much of it is chalk for use to help grip for sports and is not suitable.
http://www.minerals-water.co.uk/
http://www.minerals-water.co.uk/
Some warm water helps speed the reaction and some stirring until it turns clear. If you need to pH test it with pH test paper which I do and then adjust with sodium bicarb/potassium bicarb if it is still acid. Acid provokes ammonia production by urease positive bacteria in my stomach. As does digesting protein. In such cases HCl is just a placebo effect because it is quickly neutralised which wastes money IMO.

The only way to raise stomach acid is to stop them getting saliva (urea). Most CFS sufferers tend to have high histamine levels (immune reaction) which provokes the release of saliva and that is a feedback mechanism used by the bacteria so that they get the urea they need to neutralise stomach acid and poisons the body with ammonia.

Hi, I don’t know how my name came to be alongside the mag writings as I did not post that. I’m trying to work this all out as to how to use the forum, and to post a picture, but not doing very well I also tried to plain about meself but don’t know how. Am I stupid?

Carl

I was getting close to needing some more and therefore needed to find the cheapest place I could find. I did find a name YAYB which produces Magnesium Carbonate. It is sold in numerous sized weights, from 50g to 10Kg on ebay.co.uk and maybe some others. The uk site does not show any delivery except for uk so I do not know whether they will ship outside the UK.
2.5Kg £28.99+delivery but you would need to ask them about this
1Kg £16.99+delivery

Be careful about taking Mag oxide. A new kind called mag Threonate is supposed to be the best. Mag threonate. Look into Dr. Mercola on line. He is knowledgable about EVERYTHING. I am taking a mag powder...make sure there is no mag stearate in any of your meds.