• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenaline surge & crash

Pink

For a long time I've been feeling like my body is so weak & exhausted that my body sends out a ton of adrenaline to try to give me energy.
I do get some energy , but it's really a false energy because if I do anything (cook dinner, but groceries etc) I'm left feeling exhausted & sick.
I think a lot of my feeling sick, anxious, restless & lack of sleep is actually physical from the adrenaline surge.
Then comes the crash for weeks where my body just can't give out enough adrenaline & I'm left in bed , so weak I can't sit up or breathe.
I told my reg Dr about this but she had no idea how to test or treat adrenaline surges & crashes.
The functional medicine Dr just brushed me off.
Does this make sense to anyone? Can adrenaline surges & crashes be tested for? By whom? And how do I treat this?
My body is super sensitive to the slightest supplement or medication, & money is very tight, so I can't just try random things.

ETA, sometimes I have a day like today where the adrenaline and the crash feel like they're "fighting". I'm terribly weak, can barely move from the crash, but I can't relax from the adrenaline.

Last edited:

mattie

Thats just typical ME push-crash cycles.
The more you make use of the false adrenalin energy the worse you will get.
Be careful, do not spend more than you have. ME rule number 1.
I know thats hard, it means letting go of even more activities....

Have you been tested for POTS?
POTS can give you adrenalin surges when upright.

Pink

@andyguitar , I know who knew that reading, watching tv or even thinking is so tiring?!
But , is there truly no way to slow down this adrenaline surge? It makes my heart race, stomach clench, I feel nauseous and restless. I'm so weak I must lay down but my body is too keyed up .

Martin aka paused||M.E.

O know this very well. Having a very serious and painful crash right now... I think I don’t get better because I am reading and watching too much. Will try hardcore-death-protocol tomorrow with only Audio Books ... Hope that will improve my condición

Pink

Right now I'm only on pantoprazole, but it's not a new issue (i mean the adrenaline surges.) It's been going on a long time.
Taking a b complex definitely made it worse, which is why I have not taken it in the last few days.
I have tried yoga, meditation etc to no avail. Deep breathing is hard bec I find I'm too weak to breathe properly let alone take deep soothing breaths. My exhaustion crushes my chest like a heavy weight.
That's why I was looking for relief in some medication.
Or even a type of Dr to discuss this with who won't just poo poo it as another form of anxiety.

andyguitar

Hmm...... some of this does'nt make sense and I am inclined to ask is this an adrenaline rush or something else. Not suggesting anything terrible is wrong with you, but wonder if it is more to do with blood sugar levels going haywire. You been checked for diabetes recently?

i-lava-u

@Mithriel posted this link about adrenaline surges http://www.hfme.org/adrenalinesurgetips.htm

Is there any way to regulate the adrenaline?

that sensation of "feeling a bit better today" so i'll complete xyz on my list that i could not accomplish while crashing....that's an adrenaline surge waiting to happen. next time that sudden "extra" bit of energy surfaces, take notice, but keep your activity level where it has been right before. don't try to accomplish a bunch of things all at once while the "extra" energy lasts. you will just crash again. :hug:

Pink

@andyguitar , yes my blood sugar tends to be low, along w blood pressure.
@i-lava-u , well except for last week & early this week, when I crashed so badly i couldn't even sit up, eat, drink, just take shallow gasping breaths, I do have 6 kids to care for.
So although I rest when my babysitter is here, I do have to get up, cook dinner, help w homrwork, etc.
I can't do less than I'm already doing.
Plus there's the thing of oh hey I have some energy, let me finally do something.

It's just difficult bec today the adrenaline and crash are fighting. I'm too weak to get out of bed, but I also can't sleep or relax.

bertiedog

Is there any way to regulate the adrenaline?

I used to suffer with severe adrenaline surges and what has helped me hugely is 10 mg Propananol which is a beta blocker. It really suits me and I have taken one since 2000 without any ill effects only benefits. Its a tiny dose and you might find that you would need 20 mg which I have also taken in the past.

On some days I would need up to 3 doses but its a very long time since I have had to take the drug so often. I believe its quite short acting.

It just calms everything down and then one can feel so much better. I believe its standard treatment for people suffering with POTS like I have had badly in the past.

Good luck, its a horrible symptom and completely messes up your life.

Pam

soxfan

@Pink ...Yup I am in a constant battle with adrenaline. I am never able to rest and relax even during a crash. I just lay there with my insides in turmoil...my heart seemingly pounding and exhausted/drained at the same time.

I have complained about this for years...had the tilt test and holter monitor and was told I am fine. My BP runs low so I would actually be leery of taking a beta blocker. I am not sure if I have POTS but I know exactly what you are talking about.

Even if I haven’t done anything strenuous or been too mentally active ...my body Never and I mean never is able to settle down. Only time is when I take Lunesta at night to sleep.

Pink

@soxfan (cute avatar btw) yes that is it, unless I'm in extreme crash mode.
Good point about low blood pressure and beta blockers. Mine tends to run low also.
I had a tilt table test over a decade ago, unfortunately I don't have the results.
I also wore a holter monitor then bec I was fainting a lot, and it did show tachycardia but it was not treated.