• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

b12, does it dissolve in oil?

Hi

I recently purchased b12oils from Australia. I was a little disappointed that one dose of the mb12 is only 0.75mg. That size dose won't even touch the sides. I am currently injecting 10x that amount daily. Sometimes higher, so ten sprays of the oil become messy and costly.

So I have resolved investigate manufacturing my own b12oil but with a higher concentration because if the absorption is close to injection then it has to be a better option.

I guess the first question as b12 is water soluble, does it dissolve in oil?

Also, can anyone discuss their own attempts at DIY b12 oil?

Eastman

@LozT

There were discussions on transdermal B12 in the threads Anybody else using DIY transdermal B12? and Transdermal B12 oils that I mentioned in another thread of yours.

For me, I open up a capsule of Doctor's Best methylcobalamin, pour out the content and cover it in body lotion, wait for it to dissolve over a few hours, then just rub it in. Seems to be effective.

One advantage of transdermal B12 over injection is that the former gets released into the bloodstream gradually over several hours, allowing the body to make use of it more effectively.

Thanks for your reply.

What's puzzling me is how b12 dissolves in oil if its water-soluble only?

Carl

Have you ever seen the liposomal Hydroxycobalamin? That is 1.5mg for 20 drops if I remember correctly.

You might be able to make some diy liposomal B12. It might be worth looking at guides on making liposomal supplements. Alcohol is needed to help form liposomes but many of the guides fail to use alcohol and therefore probably do not make liposomes. The liposomal vit c guide is probably the best out of all of them so it might be worth adapting that.

Carl

I took a look at the bottle of lipolife hydroxycobalamin when I had some and the label contains no mention of alcohol only phosphatidylcholine from sunflower lecithin, glycerol, xylitol and potassium sorbate with some natural flavours.

checking the website and it does mention small amounts of ethanol which backs up what I have read about it's requirement for forming liposomes.

It is 1mg/ml so I was a bit out with the 1.5mg.
http://lipolife.co.uk/liposomal-hydroxy-b12/