• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

After 3 years with cfs able to exercise and feel energised - what next?

So about 4 years ago I became unwell (stomach infection picked up on diving holiday) - I was 34 and a healthy, exercise loving guy.

My first year of CFS I spent 11-12 hours sleeping a night, would barely make it through a working week (had to take a month off at one point) and was just exhausted continuously.

From there I've slowly (painfully slowly) improved - to the point where 6 months ago I tried for the first time in 3 years to go for short run. It was only 3 miles (I say only as pre-cfs I was running marathons) and I walked a good portion of it - but the key difference was that at the end I didn't feel exhausted - but actually re-energised. I've since started running once a week - with improving fitness.

I'd really love to hear from anyone else who has found themselves at a point where exercise actually revitalises - and where they've gone from there? (is this potentially an indication of a path to recovery?)

As a classic symptom of cfs is post-exertional malaise does this mean that technically I no longer have cfs? I certainly feel like I have cfs - my cognitive difficulties continue and some weeks my energy is very low- definitely don't think as clearly as I used to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
That sounds very promising!

For me it has been consistent that, when i thought i was better, and tried to exercise - i never felt re-energised. I would know i`m recovered/better when that changes! If youre not getting any in increase in symptoms after or during exercise, it seems u could gradually continue as u see fit? :)

Good luck

Learner1

I have been carefully exercising throughout this illness. I can't say I feel energized afterwards, though I'm able to do more than I was. But it varies a lot from day to day.

I've had a lot of treatment to kill infections, and support my immune system, endocrine system, nutrient needs, and mitochondrial function, so I'm hopeful that solving these problems will lead to wellness.

However, I've seen enough stories of relapses to be wary. I'd suspect adding stressors of various kinds can lead to the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.

The fact that you still have symptoms might mean that there's still work to be done, and prudently exercising to avoid overdoing it might be wise.

On the other hand, lucky you to have made it this far! You must be doing something right!

*GG*

I exercise, but it does not revitalize me. Increases my pain and fatigue etc..But I think I would go insane if I could not do that, it's a double edged sword, but something I am willing to continue doing at this time.

I have pretty much exercised the 14 years I have been ill.

GG

Wishful

One definition of ME/CFS is that PEM is a symptom of ME but not of CFS. Feeling revitalized after exercise might not be meaningful regarding the disease. Did you not have PEM 24 hrs (or whatever your personal delay time was) afterwards? Did you have PEM after exercise before this recent improvement?

I can't remember exercise making me feel energized.

Butydoc

So about 4 years ago I became unwell (stomach infection picked up on diving holiday) - I was 34 and a healthy, exercise loving guy.

My first year of CFS I spent 11-12 hours sleeping a night, would barely make it through a working week (had to take a month off at one point) and was just exhausted continuously.

From there I've slowly (painfully slowly) improved - to the point where 6 months ago I tried for the first time in 3 years to go for short run. It was only 3 miles (I say only as pre-cfs I was running marathons) and I walked a good portion of it - but the key difference was that at the end I didn't feel exhausted - but actually re-energised. I've since started running once a week - with improving fitness.

I'd really love to hear from anyone else who has found themselves at a point where exercise actually revitalises - and where they've gone from there? (is this potentially an indication of a path to recovery?)

As a classic symptom of cfs is post-exertional malaise does this mean that technically I no longer have cfs? I certainly feel like I have cfs - my cognitive difficulties continue and some weeks my energy is very low- definitely don't think as clearly as I used to.
I would be extremely careful with your exercise. I felt like I was mostly recovered and started my martial arts work outs figuring I was in remission, that lead to a crash and subsequently I never recovered. If you are still symptomatic, I suspect you are at substantial risk of recurrence of your PEM and worsening of your symptoms. If I could have relived that moment in my life again, I probable would have waited 6months with no symptoms before pushing my exercising limits.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I felt like I was mostly recovered and started my martial arts work outs figuring I was in remission, that lead to a crash and subsequently I never recovered.
I have a similar story. I was again able to exercise and loved it, then did too much and never recovered.
If I could have relived that moment in my life again, I probable would have waited 6months with no symptoms before pushing my exercising limits.
In my case, I had been more or less in remission for a couple of years yet still relapsed and 12 years later have not recovered.