• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Traumatic births linked to asthma

PracticingAcceptance

https://chronicillnesstraumastudies.com/causes-of-chronic-illness-risk-factors-for-asthma/

According to this article, if a mother has a traumatic birth, it can affect whether the child goes on to develop asthma. Asthma is not psychological.

Apparently, treating the mothers with counselling can help young children recover from their asthma. Treating the MOTHERS for the CHILDREN'S health problem.

If this is true, this blows the top off my entire understanding of how health works.

Perhaps we operate in a system rather than as discrete organisms? And we affect the health of those we are bonded to?

Or maybe this article is total bullshit. Please if you can, let me know if the science is bad science. I know @Hip you're good at that.

PS I found the article when I was googling about asthma, and it just so happens that the writer also has ME/CFS. My mother did have a traumatic birth with me, and didn't do any counselling, and I have asthma.

ukxmrv

I can't see anything evidence based in that article. Is there any science in there at all? I glanced through it looking for the papers it was based on and it's not immediately apparent to my ME-raddled brain.

Why would you consider it to be feasible? Was there something specific.

My extended family doesn't fit this idea. We have not got a record of traumatic births and cesareans. We've got lots of asthma over generations.

ChrisD

I suspect if anything that the traumatic birth could interrupt the process of the translocation of vital probiotics/bacteria from the mothers gut via the umbilical cord to the baby. Hence why C-section babies are susceptible to health problems. And I believe that gut issues can be implicated in the inflammation that causes Asthma.

However I have heard that people who use Ayahuasca/DMT for emotional therapy, encounter visions or experiences of their birth that are deeply preserved within their inner psychy - all anecdotal from health podcasts etc.

PracticingAcceptance

I glanced through it looking for the papers it was based on and it's not immediately apparent to my ME-raddled brain.

Ran out of steam for research. There was something there but it's escaped me. Got PEM from researching yesterday. Need to be a bit more measured with trying to do research. Sorry.

Something about mind-body connection... life experiences affecting genomes. Things we experience with our minds and emotions, physically changing us. Cannot fathom how I was linking that back to ME/CFS.

I suspect if anything that the traumatic birth could interrupt the process of the translocation of vital probiotics/bacteria from the mothers gut via the umbilical cord to the baby.

It's not limited to that. The description of a traumatic birth includes what happens after the baby has come out, as far as I gather. Whether the baby initially spends time skin-to-skin with its parents seems to matter a lot to its physical health in later life. It shouldn't matter but it seems to.

I was also reading this
https://chronicillnesstraumastudies...se-of-my-chronic-illness-and-helping-me-heal/
off the same website. Haven't been able to finish it. It is specifically about ME/CFS.

Argh I can just about manage to read something on some days, but to take it in and analyse it is too much, and to keep track of what's being referenced and where I read something is too much. This is ridiculously difficult. I wonder if I'm retaining the information or whether it just evaporates from my memory.