• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin C vs. Ascorbic Acid

I did a forum search for this but I couldn't find any answers, and general google searching is confusing me.

I have access to injectable ascorbic acid, but I have read conflicting things. A lot of websites say that it's synthetic vitamin C and harmful to the body because it's not in "complex form'. The rationale is that because AC is just the envelope, the body ends up using its stores of the other components in order to utilize it.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? There are a whole range of supplements out there for "C Complex" in addition to all the regular ones which are just ascorbic acid.

I have serious chronic health difficulties and I feel that vitamin C could help me in high doses, but my bowels have zero tolerance which is why I am going with injections. However I don't want to harm myself if AC is somehow not good enough on its own?

Thank you!

a thought: could look into Buffered Vitamin C - it will be easier on the stomach if you can't tolerate pure vitamin C. Furthermore if you are corn sensitive , ARG do pure Vitamin C / Buffered Vitamin C sourced from Cassava

Sundancer

alicec

A lot of websites say that it's synthetic vitamin C and harmful to the body because it's not in "complex form'

These same websites will undoubtedly direct you to some very expensive supplement containing this C complex, but there is not a shred of evidence for the claims.

If you search for studies looking at the biological effects of ascorbic acid and its use in treatment of various conditions they are all done with the pure synthetic vitamin, which is identical to the form found in nature. I have never seen a single scientific study which shows superior effects of of the C complex.

There have been some studies (mostly in other animals) suggesting that there might be better uptake in the intestine of ascorbic acid in the presence of various bioflavonoids, but as this review shows, careful studies in humans have found no difference.