• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any Use Taking Famcyclovir for a Long Time EBV sufferer?

drob31

No I have not taken it. Valtrex and Famvir are effective for EBV, and at higher doses effective for cytomegalovirus. But they do not work for HHV-6. Valcyte works for HHV-6.

Doesn't Nexavir work for HHv6?

Hip

Doesn't Nexavir work for HHv6?

Nexavir is used to treat ME/CFS linked to EBV and HHV-6 infections, and in vitro is antiviral for EBV and HHV-6, However, I recently did some pharmacokinetic calculations on Nexavir, and these indicate that the actual in vivo antiviral effect of Nexavir for HHV-6 is more or less nil. I am going to be posting details of these pharmacokinetic calculations (which I did for dozens of antivirals) on this forum soon.

That does not rule out the possibly that Nexavir fights viruses through an immunomodulatory action, rather than an antiviral action; but by my calculation, it does not seem to be antiviral for HHV-6.

Nexavir might help ME/CFS for non-viral reasons as well, like via anti-inflammatory effects, or increasing blood flow to the brain. Several ME/CFS doctors use it. A good blog article on Nexavir can be found here.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Nexavir might help ME/CFS for non-viral reasons, though, like via anti-inflammatory effects, or increasing blood flow to the brain.
It did something helpful for me--though all I can say is that it made me feel better. There was a "running in" period of several months before the effect kicked in, but after that, I'd feel noticeably better the day after a dose.

I'm not sure if it will help in your case, but I'm eyeing famcyclovir to target EBV and HHV6 simutaneously. Furthermore I'm considering using lumbrokinase to help thin a "thicker" blood to make it easier for antivirals to reach the EBV in certain locations.

One thing I've seen about acute infections, is that tagament or zantac will block EBV from targetting lymphocytes. It should get rid of the "sick" symptoms. It does this by blocking the receptors that EBV binds to, ironically a off label use for these specific antacids.
Has the famcyovir helped with your ebv and herpes?

Wally

Has
Famciclovir been able to cure your cfs? How long did it take you on
Famciclovir to be cured? I just started and I couldn’t stop shaking. Did that happen to you?

@Natistar - No the Famciclivor did not cure me, only substantially lessened a number of my worse symptoms during the period that it seemed to be working for me (between months 2 1/2 and 7). I did not experience any shaking just severe headache the first week on the drug. Do not be discouraged if Famciclivor does not work for you, we all seem to have individual reactions to different drugs and treatment protocols.

Do you have a doctor who is prescribing Famciclivor and who might be willing to call Dr. Kogelnik or Dr. Montoya in California, who both have a lot of experience using anti-virals with patients with this illness. Perhaps they could give your doctor some guidance on what to try next and if they have heard of shaking symptoms developing when using this drug.

Also, if not posted in this thread, I was on the generic form of Famciclivor manufactured by TEVA in the U.S. I was told that this was the generic drug that I should try and to always make sure it was filled from this drug company and that it was manufactured in the U.S.

A quick google check did not come up with shaking as a side effect from Famciclivor. See, https://www.rxlist.com/famvir-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Wally