• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What food testing is the best?

I’ve never really addressed the possibility of having food intolerances adding to my CFS/ME.

I know I’m not a celiac as I’ve had the test done. However, I am wondering if I have a gluten sensitivity. As I have being getting pains after some food containing high amounts of gluten.

I don’t want to spend a lot of money to get testing but I think it would be worth looking into in my path to health (if that’s possible!).

I have totally no idea where to start though, loads of nutritionists offer testing here but it’s all £100+. If it’s worth it I’d do it , but thought I’d see you guys suggestions ?

Thanks in advance :)

ryan31337

Hi @Lucy1996,

A couple of things come to mind:

1 - Was your prior celiac testing just a blood test? If so these are not always 100% reliable, my mother had several inconclusive blood tests but was finally diagnosed celiac via biopsy, which is the gold standard.

2 - Consider FODMAPs and their potential role in your pain. Its quite easy to confuse a gluten sensitivity for what is actually a FODMAP sensitivity. Wheat, rye and spelt are all high FODMAP, as are dairy, fruits, artificial sweeteners and some vegetables (onion and garlic are big offenders). It would be useful to follow a strict gluten free diet but remain heavy in other FODMAPs to see if your pain persists. If you do have a problem with FODMAPs this opens quite a few more doors into reasons why...

3 - Many of the food intolerance tests are complete nonsense with practically zero evidence, its tempting because it is easy, but don't get drawn in by it. You'd have much more reliable results by following exclusion diets and carefully tracking your symptoms.

Hope it helps,
Ryan

Hi @Lucy1996,

A couple of things come to mind:

1 - Was your prior celiac testing just a blood test? If so these are not always 100% reliable, my mother had several inconclusive blood tests but was finally diagnosed celiac via biopsy, which is the gold standard.

2 - Consider FODMAPs and their potential role in your pain. Its quite easy to confuse a gluten sensitivity for what is actually a FODMAP sensitivity. Wheat, rye and spelt are all high FODMAP, as are dairy, fruits, artificial sweeteners and some vegetables (onion and garlic are big offenders). It would be useful to follow a strict gluten free diet but remain heavy in other FODMAPs to see if your pain persists. If you do have a problem with FODMAPs this opens quite a few more doors into reasons why...

3 - Many of the food intolerance tests are complete nonsense with practically zero evidence, its tempting because it is easy, but don't get drawn in by it. You'd have much more reliable results by following exclusion diets and carefully tracking your symptoms.

Hope it helps,
Ryan

It was a blood test yes. Thanks Ryan!. That’s really helpful I appreciate your response. I think I’ll do some more research re FODMAP and go from there :)

Rlman

i remember reading a lady's story of how she did a food allergy test and went off the foods that were noted to be offenders (mosstly animal foods) and she got more and more sick. then when she went onto another diet that included the offending foods (paleo i think) and took out some of the ones that were allowed on the test and she healed. seems elimination diets are the best way to find out. though i remember also reading one lady said that she did a food allergy test and it said to omit bananas which she would never have thought were an issue and when she did so it made a huge improvement in her health. so i guess everything can be useful, just don't rely on the test as being accurate.

Learner1

In addition to an Elimination Diet, two other helpful resources are The Food Intolerance Bible by Anthony Haynes with lots of self tests and helpful info, and Cyrex Labs tests, who test for multiple types of gluten sensitivity, cross-reactive foods, some autoimmunity, and some other specialty panels.

You might also look into mast cell activation syndrome, which may explain odd allergies.