• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Derya Unutmaz new series on the science - Approaches in Biomedical Research: Flow Cytometry,

Murph

:)
https://jaxmecfs.com/2018/01/26/scientific-concepts-flow-cytometry-overview/

Approaches in Biomedical Research: Flow Cytometry, Part 1
On January 26, 2018 By jaxmecfs
We are excited to start a new educational series on explaining our approaches in biomedical research, which we hope will be useful to the ME/CFS and chronic illness community; both to patients as well as physicians.

For our first topic, we have chosen to explain Flow Cytometry and FACS (Fluorescence-Activated Cell Sorting). This will be a mini-series of several blog articles, and is not intended to be too detailed or to serve as an academic introduction, as there are many videos and introductions online that serve that purpose. Instead, we hope to provide a sense of what Flow Cytometry is and how we use it in our research at the JAX CRC.

So why start with Flow Cytometry? For immunologists like us, this instrument is indispensable because we deal with complex mixtures of cells from blood or tissues, and flow cytometry allows us to determine the composition, frequency, and function of each of these different cell types. By identifying specific cell types, we are then able to sort these cell types into pure populations that we can use in downstream experiments or interrogations. Indeed, this technology can sort out any type of cell (even including bacterial cells), provided there is a probe you can use to specifically identify them.

ljimbo423

This is not directly relevant to our day to day live but if you want to know a bit more about the research and how it's done, I found the link above very understandable

It is very easy to understand. What the flow Cytometry machines do is fascinating!

I am very interested in the research Derya Unutmaz is doing. I look forward to him making progress with his CFS research.