• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Update on Alex3619: in hospital but doing well

Sing

http://www.evms.edu/about_evms/admi...munications/publications/issue_9_4/sepsis.php

Here is a successful protocol for sepsis administered to patients who might otherwise have died. It came from one of the comments on Health Rising made to Cort’s article on some similarities between ME/CFS and sepsis.

I had talked to a doctor friend about this protocol. He said that emergency treatments of sepsis in the past had included very high doses of cortisone (prednisone or?). However, this was stopped when at first patients improved then ended up dying of a new infection. The difference with the protocol above, however, is it is a comparatively much lower dose of hydrocortisone with a few other helpful additions like Vit C. This lower level of additional hydrocortisone would not be enough to make the body open to new infections as the very high dose does after a quick honeymoon period. My doctor friend thought that this successful protocol wouldn’t be used elsewhere though until/unless it was proven by laborious study, but as a helpful strategy, a “Get Out Of Jail” card, I thought you’d like to know.

All the very best from me and your many friends!

Sing

alex3619

A quick update - I tried to put credit on my emergency mobile phone only to find its been cancelled and cannot be reactivated. I am with Optus, and its the third time they have failed me. The first time they cancelled my mobile phone order and didn't tell me. I had to phone them to find out why it was not delivered. The second time they never even allowed the order, as their delivery courier will not deliver to my address. This is a pattern. I am now considering looking at other telcom providers, but that may mean I lose my long standing email address. So I will be out of touch in hospital. Again. Doh. I hope its not more than a few days, or that I will be home again today or tomorrow.

alex3619

Hi, back at earliest possible time. Blood test was fine, so not an infection, which means I will get community nursing rather than a hospital bed. I am almost disappointed because prior to that they were briefly talking about sending me for a private room in a posh private hospital. They did however briefly mention an ME community bugbear, I have some signs of early heart failure. That will have to be investigated.

While I do have problems with the local hospital outpatients care, the ER here remains very good.

PS I don't think they were adequately considering the impact of OI and ME though, and I never mentioned ME even once.

alex3619

Oh, something interesting in a dark sense, when I was moving to the ambulance, maybe twenty feet, my heart rate right after went to 170, then dropped to 100 after a few minutes. Now I have NMH, one branch of the OI family. Could this be POTS related? It was a one off event, and there was no sign of POTS on my TTT twenty years ago. Its something else I might look at.

Gingergrrl

Hi, back at earliest possible time. Blood test was fine, so not an infection, which means I will get community nursing rather than a hospital bed. I am almost disappointed because prior to that they were briefly talking about sending me for a private room in a posh private hospital.

Glad you are home and blood test did not show infection. Hoping you will get the care that you need and I am glad you are not in the hospital, to be honest!

They did however briefly mention an ME community bugbear, I have some signs of early heart failure.

Wow, I am so sorry. How did they determine this? Did they do an echocardiogram or another test?

Oh, something interesting in a dark sense, when I was moving to the ambulance, maybe twenty feet, my heart rate right after went to 170, then dropped to 100 after a few minutes.

So your HR went to 170 while standing/walking? I've experienced my HR that high (not recently) and know how horrible it feels. Do you have a HR watch or monitor to check if this happens again at home? I wonder if you have IST or POTS now?

alex3619

Did they do an echocardiogram or another test?
They only talked about getting one. I was in ER for my bad leg, this was something for later investigation. I am also not convinced I had an issue involving the heart, despite extensive leg swelling. My blood pressure meds plus OI might completely account for it. However this means I have to redo my echocardiogram to get a current heart image.

I do have a heart rate monitor but it probably will not work ... its been sitting in the box for maybe twelve years. At the least it will need a new battery.

I suspect the increased heart rate was less POTS and more about the stressors. However I wonder what happens to someone with NMH whose blood pressure gets very high. Is there a switch triggered that makes it more POTS like? Too much speculation, not enough data.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I am also not convinced I had an issue involving the heart
Your post brought to mind this article--might be interesting for when you get an echo:
Chronic fatigue syndrome in women assessed with combined cardiac magnetic resonance imaging.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
In chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), only a few imaging and histopathological studies have previously assessed either cardiac dimensions/function or myocardial tissue, suggesting smaller left ventricular (LV) dimensions, LV wall motion abnormalities and occasionally viral persistence that may lead to cardiomyopathy.