• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

$1,000,000 donation to OMF!!!!!

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
I can confirm that the transaction is being processed :) (you can check the ‘tx’ on Pineapple fund but have confirmed this from OMF end).

A lot of work went into the implementation/testing of Bitcoin for OMF(it’s not as simple when a charity is involved), with people working behind the scenes over the last 8 months-many of us are Cryptocurrencies enthusiasts :) and thanks to the communication of redditors, and our very own stars on here, communicating directly and indirectly with your stories, and an incredibly generous donor has culminated in a unique donation beyond anything we could imagine.

So gratitude to all involved, at all stages of the process. This is a HUGE donation, with huge, positive implications :)

If this doesn’t illustrate the power of the collective community voice, I don’t know what does :)

B

Last edited:

MEPatient345

It’s amazing.. and I think it says so much about OMF that everyone who commented on Reddit about ME requested a donation to them, making it a universal request. Linda, Marilyn, Ben, and team have done a great job promoting the org, getting Ron in the news and maintaining ties to the community. All the press about ME recently mentioned or quoted Ron / OMF.

I’m so happy!! I’ve been checking pineapple Fund every day since they launched this!! It’s so huge!!

Ben H

It’s amazing.. and I think it says so much about OMF that everyone who commented on Reddit about ME requested a donation to them, making it a universal request. Linda, Marilyn, Ben, and team have done a great job promoting the org, getting Ron in the news and maintaining ties to the community. All the press about ME recently mentioned or quoted Ron / OMF.

I’m so happy!! I’ve been checking pineapple Fund every day since they launched this!! It’s so huge!!

Yes, that was truly wonderful to see. Thanks for your part in this @Silencio , and of course @Cheesus . Thank you to everyone who commented on reddit, and everyone who supports OMF in whatever capacity they can.

B

Ben H

From OMF:

OMF%20End%20MECFS%20logo%20.jpg

OMF Receives $1 Million Donation

2018 is starting off to be a fantastic year. Today, OMF has received a $1 million donation!

The Pineapple Fund has generously donated $1 million to OMF, stating, "We chose the Open Medicine Foundation because ME/CFS is a serious and complicated condition that torments the life of its sufferers. We hope that these funds can accelerate much-needed research in this area, and into related diseases."

We are grateful to have been selected among the organizations receiving Pineapple Fund grants to improve the world. This donation was made possible because of you, our dedicated patient community.

This is the largest Bitcoin donation we have ever received. We sincerely thank all of our supporters for your efforts and for all that you do to support our work.

OMF CEO/President Linda Tannenbaum wrote to the Pineapple Fund and said, "Speaking as a parent of a daughter with this illness and as the founder of Open Medicine Foundation representing millions of patients advocating for awareness, validation and a cure, and from parents and caregivers who are so desperate to get their loved ones well, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You are a true hero."

This significant donation will help OMF continue to fund urgent ME/CFS research and to keep fighting for a better future for patients. We are grateul beyond words for this generous donation. This is a gift of hope to millions of people around the world. Thank you to the Pineapple Fund for setting the course for 2018 to be a tremendous year!

pineapple%20fund.png

www.omf.ngo

B

Cheesus

This is absolutely amazing. Great effort people!

I was worried as we hadn't heard anything from them, so i sent them an email recently with that excellent article that was published in Nature. I wanted to give them a little prompt to remind them that we are here and in desperate need. I wonder if that helped to sway the decision :)

Countrygirl

This is FANTASTIC news!!!! :balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons:

Thank you to everyone who has played a part in achieving this wonderful donation. The tide is turning at last.!

Now this is a reason to party so in honour of the OMF please stand to attention for:

And as a special thank you to @Cheesus and @Ben H and any unsung UK people who had a role in this:

(and in memory of our lost colonies of course
:p) and in complete party mood:

I don;t know where you hale from @Silencio and for you and everyone who help OMF achieve this fantastic donation:

Now for those of you who hang out at The Phoenix Pub, the boys are on their way to party and celebrate ;)

Last edited:

Ben H

Their policy is to convert it immediately, and they got it this morning California time. From my understanding, transactions on bitcoin exchanges can take some time, so I’m not aware of how that would have worked out btwn the amount when Pineapple fund donated and when they would have sold for USD. @Ben H or @Cheesus may understand better!

In this instance, it’s immediately converted when the funds are recieved so that would have been before the bigger drop. :)

B

Last edited:

Ben H

I want to highlight specifically the contribution of @Ben H, who has spent the last few months using his very limited energy reserves to help the OMF set up their bitcoin donation framework.

Thank you for making this possible, Ben!

That’s so kind @Cheesus . It was myself and another patient I believe, so I can’t take full credit. Marilyn at OMF also finalised and sorted the exchange.

But without your spearhead movement on this, interaction on reddit and subsequent actions it most likely wouldn’t have happened.

And all of those that helped with their personal stories on reddit, im sure really swung it for us-thank you so much! Thanks to @Silencio also for the contact, emails and support.

Team effort, as always. :thumbsup:

B

Last edited: