• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medical Hypotheses: Autoimmunity in Post Lyme disease

Hip

So in summary, this autoimmune hypothesis of chronic Lyme says that:

Borrelia burgdorferi enolase ➤ triggers autoimmune attack on gamma enolase in neurons ➤ blocks the brain's energy metabolism (as enolase is involved in glycolysis) ➤ causes the symptoms of chronic Lyme (such as brain fog, fatigue and pain).

It is interesting to note that in primate studies, Borrelia burgdorferi have been shown to form a chronic antibiotic-resistant infections; so chronic Borrelia infections in Lyme patients could be constantly driving the autoimmune attack on gamma enolase.

jpcv

Very interesting theory, I don't know much about Lyme because it's not a important disease where I live, nevertheless the similarities of symptoms with ME/cfs deserves some considerations that maybe some infectious agent caused some disturbance in the organism that can lead to a chronic disease (ME) even in the absence of active infection.

Hip

maybe some infectious agent caused some disturbance in the organism that can lead to a chronic disease (ME) even in the absence of active infection

That's a possibility, though it might also be possible that this autoimmune response hypothesized to cause chronic Lyme is being maintained by the constant presence of low levels of persistent infection.

A similar infection-induced autoimmune theory for ME/CFS was proposed by Prof Peter Behan in the 1980s: he suggested that enterovirus may trigger an autoimmune attack on mitochondria that leads to ME/CFS. I wrote a thread on his autoimmune theory of ME/CFS.

Last edited: