• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium cofactors??

I know I have a magnesium deficiency that didnt respond to supplements untill I megadosed.Then I got an overall improvement on my symptoms but then I crashed and magnesium stopped working for me.I think I have depleted some cofactor of magnesium.I have tried boron,b6 and p5p and they dont seeem to work.Maybe manganese or selenium?

aaron_c

Selenium worked for me. I explain why I think it works here. One note: Using relatively high amounts of selenium to boost magnesium levels puts you at risk for selenium toxicity, which is why I don't do it anymore.

aquariusgirl

maybe try zinc and b6....can't remember the details but the zinc assists B6 into the cell....Richvank discussed it... phosphorylation I think?

Runner5

Do you ever drink dairy or non-dairy calcium added milk? Might help the magnesium absorb better. I have 3 types of magnesium I use, not all at once, depends on what I'm doing and what I feel like I need -- if my muscles are cramping, if I'm having trouble sleeping, trouble with brain fog etc. Seems to all work a lot better when I have a little dairy or non-dairy milk though, but calcium supplements always make my joints hurt.

Eh' just a thought for you, everyone has very different chemical systems and one persons cure is another persons poison.

Selenium worked for me. I explain why I think it works here. One note: Using relatively high amounts of selenium to boost magnesium levels puts you at risk for selenium toxicity, which is why I don't do it anymore.

I read what you posted.So what happened in the end?Did it solve your problem?I just took 400 mcg of selenium , waited sometime and then took magnesium but nothing happened.Also took somemanganese before the magnesium and nothing happened.

Do you ever drink dairy or non-dairy calcium added milk? Might help the magnesium absorb better. I have 3 types of magnesium I use, not all at once, depends on what I'm doing and what I feel like I need -- if my muscles are cramping, if I'm having trouble sleeping, trouble with brain fog etc. Seems to all work a lot better when I have a little dairy or non-dairy milk though, but calcium supplements always make my joints hurt.

Eh' just a thought for you, everyone has very different chemical systems and one persons cure is another persons poison.

I rarely drink milk anymore.What I want is to fix my deficiency and stop taking supplements.I dont want to be on suplements forever.

maybe try zinc and b6....can't remember the details but the zinc assists B6 into the cell....Richvank discussed it... phosphorylation I think?

I have tried p5p and b6.As for zinc It has caused me huge problems which now I am trying to resolve.I think b6 is an important cofactor but not the one I am missing.

aaron_c

I read what you posted.So what happened in the end?Did it solve your problem?I just took 400 mcg of selenium , waited sometime and then took magnesium but nothing happened.Also took somemanganese before the magnesium and nothing happened.

It did, but I don't know that it happens instantaneously. Also, I was taking 800 mcg per day, which again, I don't recommend. And it only helped up to a point--I never got the initial high back, but I did get a bit more energy. Like maybe 10% of the initial high, but on a daily basis.

It did, but I don't know that it happens instantaneously. Also, I was taking 800 mcg per day, which again, I don't recommend. And it only helped up to a point--I never got the initial high back, but I did get a bit more energy. Like maybe 10% of the initial high, but on a daily basis.

Ok so I see.How much magnesium were you taking per day?

Also a bit off topic question but you may know the answer.Is it true that you should split your magnesium doses to 100 mg max each time because you cant absorb more than that?(lets say wait 90 minutes between each tablet)

aaron_c

I took maybe 1500 mg per day? I'm not sure because I was taking the powder. I took 5/8 teaspoons per day, spread out over 5 portions.

Also a bit off topic question but you may know the answer.Is it true that you should split your magnesium doses to 100 mg max each time because you cant absorb more than that?(lets say wait 90 minutes between each tablet)

I've never heard this before, but that doesn't mean it's not true. Still, my guess is that if you take right up to bowel tolerance you'll probably be taking as much as you can orally, and spreading it into 100 mg doses is probably unnecessary.

Moof

As well as B vitamins, I believe taurine is a useful co-factor for magnesium. From Wikipedia:

"In cells, taurine keeps potassium and magnesium inside the cell, while keeping excessive sodium out. In this sense, it works like a diuretic. Because it aids the movement of potassium, sodium, and calcium in and out of the cell, taurine has been used as a dietary supplement for epileptics, as well as for people who have uncontrollable facial twitches.[43]"

I took maybe 1500 mg per day? I'm not sure because I was taking the powder. I took 5/8 teaspoons per day, spread out over 5 portions.

I've never heard this before, but that doesn't mean it's not true. Still, my guess is that if you take right up to bowel tolerance you'll probably be taking as much as you can orally, and spreading it into 100 mg doses is probably unnecessary.

Thanks for answering.I will try with the selenium and report back.

Does calcum aid in the absorption of magnesium?A good way to have calcium is also eggshell calcium.