• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC replication study delayed in order to prepare a press release?!

usedtobeperkytina

I doubt very seriously the BP situation is delaying the CDC. In fact, the US needs a distraction from the damage at the Gulf. News coverage on that is not good for anyone in government.

And, now Tipper and Al, that's a stretch.

Just a point, usually, if a government agency has information to put out that they must put out but they really don't want a lot of news coverage (say if they find some big mistake in their agency or something wrong, etc.) they will save it until Friday afternoon. This is called "dumping". Friday evening is when people set aside the news, often don't view evening news. They are set on going out to eat and look forward to weekend activities. And news agencies have skeleton crew on the weekend, especially Saturday.

Not saying this will happen this time. But don't be surprised.

Tina

jeffrez

I doubt very seriously the BP situation is delaying the CDC. In fact, the US needs a distraction from the damage at the Gulf. News coverage on that is not good for anyone in government.

And, now Tipper and Al, that's a stretch.

Just a point, usually, if a government agency has information to put out that they must put out but they really don't want a lot of news coverage (say if they find some big mistake in their agency or something wrong, etc.) they will save it until Friday afternoon. This is called "dumping". Friday evening is when people set aside the news, often don't view evening news. They are set on going out to eat and look forward to weekend activities. And news agencies have skeleton crew on the weekend, especially Saturday.

Not saying this will happen this time. But don't be surprised.

Tina

Heh, that's exactly what I thought last night, but didn't post it:

-------------------
I think we're overthinking this just a little. I sincerely doubt the
BP disaster has anything remotely to do with a delay in releasing an
XMRV report. Undoubtedly there were internal reasons for the delay,
which we may or may not ever find out about. But given how long many
of us have been dealing with CFS, waiting a few more days until June
11 is not a huge deal in the scheme of things. If they delay again at
that point, that would be something to start seriously inquiring into
and questioning to the media. But otherwise, we just need to be
patient for only a little more than a week and we'll have their
statement.
-----------------------------------

Excellent point about them releasing it on friday, when no one's really paying attention. But we all will be. So they better not try to pull any kind of b.s. smokescreen, b/c this community is totally on top of things and will NOT let them get away with it. ;-)

Rrrr

I called and emailed the CDC to ask if they were going to have a press release or press conference about XMRV. And this was the response:

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 15:47:16 -0400
Subject: query to CDC

"Rrrr"

There are no plans for a news release from the CDC or a CDC sponsored press conference on the subject of XMRV.

There is a paper authored by an official from the CDC under consideration for external publication but the details of such publication would be released/announced by that publication and not the CDC.

Hope this helps, but that is all there is at this time.

Regards,

Joe

Joe Quimby

Senior Press Officer

CDC Division of Media Relations

1600 Clifton Road

Atlanta, GA 30333

jquimby@cdc.gov

Tel: 404-639-7368 direct

404-259-3495 cell

404-639-3286 DMR office number

www.cdc.gov**

Kati

Patient in training
Wow, thank Rrrrr...

Maybe we should write to them a bit more often.

rebecca1995

Apple, anyone?
Rrrr...thank you SO MUCH for taking the bull by the horns! No amount of rumor and speculation can replace facts.

There is a paper authored by an official from the CDC under consideration for external publication...

This makes it sound as if the paper has not yet been accepted for publication, doesn't it? Why did we think it was already in press?

Frickly

Thanks Rrrrr...this is a little disappointing. It could be months before we see the results of this paper. Sigh....

Rebecca, YES....why did we think this publication had been accepted and why were we waiting for a press release. Someone got this information somewhere. Anyone?

dsdmom

Rrrr, thanks for doing that!
Hmmm...so if the CDC isn't the positive study Nancy Klimas was referring to, what else could it be? There was that German one but it was not directly tied to CFS. But is it possible that that was it?

jeffrez

25 pages of rumor and speculation. :rolleyes:

Isn't it better to just wait until something actually comes out and THEN discuss it?

I knew I should have read the thread more critically and bothered to look up the reference the OP made (but never provided any link to). I don't know what's worse, the fatigue and brainfog, or how lazy it's made me to try to conserve energy. :rolleyes:

> Unsubbed.

Bob

There are no plans for a news release from the CDC or a CDC sponsored press conference on the subject of XMRV.

There is a paper authored by an official from the CDC under consideration for external publication but the details of such publication would be released/announced by that publication and not the CDC.

Hi everyone,
Unfortunately I think that this doesn't actually tell us anything new at all...
The CDC isn't going to tell us about anything that isn't ready for public release...
They confirm that there is a paper ready for publication, which we already knew...
But when they say that there aren't any 'plans' for a press release, I think this is code for 'we aren't telling you anything'...
It's like a politician saying they don't have any plans to increase taxes... and then they increase taxes...
Bob

Rivotril

I think that they will say that there is nothing, until there is a paper I guess, they wont cause rumors in advance.

Not that I say that there is a press release coming..i don't know, maybe theres nothing

but IF there is, the internal code will be to say that nothing is coming , until the paper is there, to prevent against speculations in advance

my opinion and no fact

parvofighter

Cross-pollenation of info on CDC

There may be ambiguity about what the CDC will be publishing, and when. But I find it very interesting that the new Canadian XMRV study discussed here ( http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?5355-Canadian-XMRV-Study-Begins) stated the following:
WHAT WILL THEY BE STUDYING? WHY?
XMRV (in consultation with WPI, CDC and NIH); cytokines and Rnase L
Now why would the CDC be consulting on a Canadian XMRV study - using Canadian Criteria patients, and looking for XMRV - if they weren't finding XMRV in ME/CFS? "Here, let's show you how not to find XMRV"?

Chew on that bone, eh?;)

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I called and emailed the CDC to ask if they were going to have a press release or press conference about XMRV. And this was the response:

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 15:47:16 -0400
Subject: query to CDC

"Rrrr"

Hope this helps, but that is all there is at this time.

Regards,

Joe

Joe Quimby

Senior Press Officer

1600 Clifton Road

Atlanta, GA 30333

jquimby@cdc.gov

Tel: 404-639-7368 direct

404-259-3495 cell

404-639-3286 DMR office number

www.cdc.gov**

Good job, Joe - thanks. I have to assume a Press Conference was in the works. I think I had some pretty good 'intel' that one was supposed to take place yesterday but what happens in the CDC mainly stays in the CDC it appears. We'll know when we'll know.

serenity

i agree, the first thing i thought when i heard what RRRR said they said (& good for you for trying to get somethin out of them RRRR! thanks! :) ) - was "bullsh*t". i dont' believe they dont' have anything.

ixchelkali

Rrrr, I LOVE the way you go right to the source. Gee, ask the CDC; what a concept! (forehead slap)

25 pages of rumor and speculation.

Isn't it better to just wait until something actually comes out and THEN discuss it?

Naw. When there's no news, rumor and speculation pass the time. :Retro wink:

Frickly

The highs.....the lows.....a little more than I can take right now. I am back on a cautious high.:cool:

Frickly

Good question Parvo, we can only hope at this point.

There may be ambiguity about what the CDC will be publishing, and when. But I find it very interesting that the new Canadian XMRV study discussed here ( http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?5355-Canadian-XMRV-Study-Begins) stated the following:
WHAT WILL THEY BE STUDYING? WHY?
XMRV (in consultation with WPI, CDC and NIH); cytokines and Rnase L
Now why would the CDC be consulting on a Canadian XMRV study - using Canadian Criteria patients, and looking for XMRV - if they weren't finding XMRV in ME/CFS? "Here, let's show you how not to find XMRV"?

Chew on that bone, eh?;)

Daffodil

frick ur right. it makes no sense for the canada study to begin with CDC consulting if the CDC found nothing

jeffrez

frick ur right. it makes no sense for the canada study to begin with CDC consulting if the CDC found nothing

CDC is just trying to confirm (replicate) or deny the original findings by using the same strict criteria. Participation in a study says nothing about what they are speculated to have or have not already found.

rebecca1995

Apple, anyone?
...Rebecca, YES....why did we think this publication had been accepted and why were we waiting for a press release. Someone got this information somewhere. Anyone?

Frickly, as far as I understand it, Cort got the information on which he based his XMRV Buzz entry from Kurt, who doesn't want to reveal his sources. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Cort's original statement on 5/27:
That CDC paper has not come out this week as expected - now we hear that a Press Release is being written and it will come out next week.