• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC replication study delayed in order to prepare a press release?!

Esther12

I'm not so keen on the work of clinicians.

Judy Chalder's work seems heavily based upon her time with patients, and I prefer a more detached view. It's too eeasy to let your personal feelings influence your beliefs about patients.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?

Judy Chalder's work seems heavily based upon her time with patients, and I prefer a more detached view. It's too eeasy to let your personal feelings influence your beliefs about patients.

False patient beliefs. Hmmm....sounds like they need some CBT. Or maybe GUT (graded unemployment therapy).

V99

graded unemployment therapy - isn't that what jailbirds do, with rocks

jeffrez

I sometimes wonder if the psycho lobby ever stop for one second and think, hang on a minute, these patients don't seem to be getting any better...why might that be?

They just don't "want" to get better. :sad: They enjoy having their lives and careers destroyed and getting attention from an antagonistic, demeaning doctor's office visit for 10 minutes once every six months or year or two (which they would have times a few hundred thousand or million or billion if they were in the workforce every day, interacting in the world like normal people again). Hmm, wait a minute...

awol

Esther12,

With the supposedly objective view, we get Weesley and Huber and the Dutch fraudsters. With the clinicians we get Klimas, Peterson, Bell, Cheney and countless others. They are not expert researchers, but I would take the second group any day. Remember, noone is actually entirely objective. Identifying with the patient is far preferable to treating the real affected people with contempt.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Uh...hang on. Esther12 I thought you were talking about the Wesseley school whack jobs. Who is Judy Chalder then?

I think the correct name is Professor Trudie Chalder. She's a member of the Wessely school & is affiliated with Kings College, London.

alex3619

Hi JT1024

I like this view, and have though along similar lines. They may be waiting to be able to give a definitive answer on when someone can start mass distribution of blood test kits to the blood banks, so as to minimize panic.

Bye
Alex

Just a quick thought (as I leave to work in a community hospital lab, including blood bank!)...

If they release news of XRMV in the blood supply and have no test in place for blood already in the system and being transfused today, what do you think people are going to do?

Here is is a holiday weekend... lots of parties, car wrecks, etc. People are going to need transfusions to stay alive. That being the case, the possibility that someone would get blood positive for XMRV would be high.

Why ruin a holiday weekend here in the states..... just a thought.... got to run!

alex3619

Hi anciendaze,

Is it possible the message has to go all the way up to the top and then down again? Is the BP fiasco delaying things then?

Bye
Alex
While I've only skimmed this topic before this post, I've seen enough bureaucracies to know how they handle announcements and press releases. Everyone here seems to accept that the statement about preparing a press release is correct. From past experience, I can say there is a high probability the real reason for delay is to run the news up the chain of command before it goes public. (Making management look ignorant or incompetent is a very bad career move.) The length of delay in such cases is a good measure of how high the warning goes and how much negotiation is required before release. This means the implications go beyond earlier expectations.

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."
Friedrich Nietzsche

usedtobeperkytina

Well, I have seen lots of names on research papers about CFS since October, and not just XmRV stuff. I think we have lots of researchers that believe us and fewer clinicians. As said, only those clinicians that see a bunch of it day in and day out, see the pattern.

But, we do need more researchers. But I think the researchers, who read all the other studies, are ahead in their understanding of the illness compared to the GP on main street.

Tina

anciendaze

Hi anciendaze,

Is it possible the message has to go all the way up to the top and then down again? Is the BP fiasco delaying things then?

Bye
Alex
That is entirely possible. With the BP problem unresolved, plus fears about a meltdown in international finance, and lots of bruised egos after the battle over health care ready to take out frustration on someone, this is not the best time to bring up another problem affecting millions of people with no apparent solution ready. Confidence in leaders and institutions is low. (Even Tipper has lost confidence in Al, what next?)

On the plus side, this is a great opportunity to show leaders getting ahead of the general public in averting potential disaster. I don't think the silence can hold more than about two weeks, so I'm not terribly concerned with consequences of this delay.

Stone

This thread is so long, so I may have missed something, but is the CDC announcement literally canceled or postponed? Anybody know for sure, or does anyone have a guess as to when it might be?

awol

This thread is so long, so I may have missed something, but is the CDC announcement literally canceled or postponed? Anybody know for sure, or does anyone have a guess as to when it might be?

Stone, noone knows anything, sorry.

Well, I have seen lots of names on research papers about CFS since October, and not just XmRV stuff. I think we have lots of researchers that believe us and fewer clinicians. As said, only those clinicians that see a bunch of it day in and day out, see the pattern.

But, we do need more researchers. But I think the researchers, who read all the other studies, are ahead in their understanding of the illness compared to the GP on main street.

Tina

Tina,

With you on that.

IamME

Too sick for an identity
Chalder / BP

Chalder is just a (mental health) nursey, she doesn't know what she's talking about, but she wrangled a Professorship for use of peacock language and logical non-sequiturs from her master, das Wiesel.

Re the oil spill tragedy: I wonder how long it will be before the oleaginous one gets money thrown at him by BP in order to tell people to stop making a fuss over the spill, quit whining and get back to work. He trundled out after 9/11 to tell people the dust was "safe".