• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Black Seed Oil Methylation impact

Hey guys, so Black Seed Oil(Nigella Sativa) according to a study, has significant impact on methylation - specifically Homocysteine/Methionine
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/14729430/

---------
" Pretreatment of rats with an oral dose of 100 mg/kg of thymoquinone, the main active constituent of the black seed, for 30 min and for 1 week almost completely protected against induced HHcy measured 5 h after methionine load (100 mg/kg). Under similar conditions pretreatment with commercial black seed oil (100 μl/kg) for 30 min and for 1 week produced significant and strong protection levels of 74.2 and 94.5%, "

-----------

I'm very curious of how BSO does this. ? Does it just reduce Methionine outright.. maybe have an effect on the glycinemethyltransferase. Idk, so many possibilities. Maybe some effect on folate/b12
Anyone have any experience with BSO and methylation?

Ok I have a great hypothesis. Black Seed Oil is known to be a super super potent increaser of Glutathione. Couple that with the fact that it lowers homocysteine - it can be assumed that BSO is a transsulfuration pathway upregulator, which lowers HCY and significantly increases Glu.

pamojja

Tried black seed oil against hay-fever. Just checked my notes: started in 2015 with about 1g, before that homocysteine has been 12.5, after the end of that first year indeed my best at 6.4. In 2016 consumed already 5g per day, but homocysteine again rose to 11.1 at the end of that year.

As always, there are very likely more confounders that I could be aware of.

Hip

Black Seed Oil is known to be a super super potent increaser of Glutathione.

I can't seem to find too much evidence for that "super super potent" effect. Would you have a reference for that? This study mentions Nigella sativa increases glutathione in rat livers, but says nothing about the potency.

I can't seem to find too much evidence for that "super super potent" effect. Would you have a reference for that? This study mentions Nigella sativa increases glutathione in rat livers, but says nothing about the potency.
Damn! I jumped the gun on that, there are a couple of random websites that say it increases Glutathione by 500% , but no studies to find, or other sources..just those two websites