• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC replication study delayed in order to prepare a press release?!

If it was just a misunderstood rumor, then it was presented too authoritatively... but we can all do that, and it is a 'buzz' page!

"A buzz can be a rapidly oscillating two-tone noise caused by vibration or other source, such as that produced by bees or wasps. It can also refer to a generally excited hubbub, or background noise — see for example marketing buzz."

I'm sure there are all sorts of rumors about, and I want to hear them because I'm that tragically obsessed by the whole thing. Anything that's not a widely reported or officially released statement should be taken as a rumor or hint - but a lot of us are pretty hungry for them.

The CDC are expected to be releasing information soon.

usedtobeperkytina

Also, I have not been one to keep up with studies. But even without the XMRV studies, I have taken hope from the many studies that have come out in the last year for our illness, Light study, Klimas's study and more. And what is more, based on my reading of Osler's Web, I am shocked at the number of researchers doing studies and attending conferences. I don't think we patients are derided as much by researchers as we are government and clinicians. (Dutch and UK excepted.) If you look at some of these studies, you see a long list of names as authors. ink of all the people coming to speak aboout or learn about CFS at the conferences.

I don't think the cog has been in researchers interested. The cog has been in funding and clinicians knowing and accepting the research. Don't worry, even without the XMRV thing, the ball was starting to roll downhill as even the CDC acknowledged many with CFS have metabolic disorder.

Tina

And at the conferences, think of how many conferences there have been. And th

usedtobeperkytina

And even

And even if, as Baker said, the CDC claims or puts out the theory that CFSers are more susceptible to XMRV because of immune system dysfunction, then that means they admit we have an immune system disease.

Tina

awol

Also, I have not been one to keep up with studies. But even without the XMRV studies, I have taken hope from the many studies that have come out in the last year for our illness, Light study, Klimas's study and more. And what is more, based on my reading of Osler's Web, I am shocked at the number of researchers doing studies and attending conferences. I don't think we patients are derided as much by researchers as we are government and clinicians. (Dutch and UK excepted.) If you look at some of these studies, you see a long list of names as authors. ink of all the people coming to speak aboout or learn about CFS at the conferences.

I don't think the cog has been in researchers interested. The cog has been in funding and clinicians knowing and accepting the research. Don't worry, even without the XMRV thing, the ball was starting to roll downhill as even the CDC acknowledged many with CFS have metabolic disorder.

Tina

And at the conferences, think of how many conferences there have been. And th

I also think the split between researchers and clinitians adds to the problem. The only REAL progress in this disease has been made or inspired by people with DIRECT contact with ME/CFS patients. Too few researchers bother with this, no matter how good their intentions.

leaves

Well, I told my WHOLE family and some friends about a press release coming out of the CDC on their replication study. Please pass the bag please, I need to put it on my head.

Lol :)
well who knows... They may still come with something this week...

Rrrr

Kurt told me that the CDC has scheduled a press conference June 11 about XMRV. Let's hope it is good news for us!

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Remind me to ask more questions of news on Cort's buzz page.

It wasn't on the Buzz page - I looked for it because after all this I'm curious about what I wrote - and I couldn't find it :). It was from a post somewhere in the Forums where I passed on something I heard from Kurt. After all this I hope it turns out to be correct. :(

In any case that study has been reported to be ready for months...it can't be long now.

alex3619

Hi DysautonomiaXMRV,

I tend to agree with everything you said, altough I might be a little more cautious. However, the journal Science is not just the best place to publish ground breaking medical research, it is the best scientific journal in the world. Only the best of the best studies are published there - you will notice that nearly all of the detractors are published in very low grade publications, with very little peer review or quality control.

Bye
Alex

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Cort,

It's in the May 27th installment on the Buzz page, "Dr. Huber / Dr. Mikovits Clash".

The last two sentences are;
"That CDC paper has not come out this week as expected - now we hear that a Press Release is being written and it will come out next week."

It's still there.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Thanks for finding it - I wrote it and I missed it. At least now I know what I wrote...:)

Dr. Miller told me that the HIV guys at the CDC started testing samples the day after the paper came out - they're eager to find this thing...I imagine its thought of as guaranteed employment for them.

kurt

clearing this up

I'm confused about that too, where did the rumour come from? And what's the news conference on June 11th?
It might have been better not mentioning it if it wasn't concrete.

Cort, is this from a firsthand source? Does a correction need to be put up?
Tina

And as I have stated earlier, I have no idea of the content of the press release or the specifics of the study to be reported. All I know is there should be news in the next week or two from the CDC about XMRV in CFS. I have heard this from several sources.

Anyway, I don't know if this rumored paper/press release is the same as what will be shared in the press conference June 11th, although I suspect it might be one part of that.

jspotila

Not a Press Conference

Anyway, I don't know if this rumored paper/press release is the same as what will be shared in the press conference June 11th, although I suspect it might be one part of that.

I don't think the June 11th event is a press conference. It's a teleconference course that costs $154, and is intended for:
Who should attend?
Practicing Pathologists, Residents, Laboratory Managers, Bench Technologists & Technicians, Cytotechnologists, and Phlebotomists

So unless there is another event on June 11th, I think we should avoid referring to the teleconference as a press conference. Calling this a press conference might create higher expectations than is warranted.

Adam

I also think the split between researchers and clinitians adds to the problem. The only REAL progress in this disease has been made or inspired by people with DIRECT contact with ME/CFS patients. Too few researchers bother with this, no matter how good their intentions.

Good point AWOL. I guess that is where WPI got their edge, by working from the bottom up in a lab attached to a clinic, working with us poor sods who are sick as opposed to be stuck in some ivory tower like Wessely and co theorising.

I sometimes wonder if the psycho lobby ever stop for one second and think, hang on a minute, these patients don't seem to be getting any better...why might that be?

V99

I sometimes wonder if the psycho lobby ever stop for one second and think, hang on a minute, these patients don't seem to be getting any better...why might that be?
They just don't ask the question.