• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Surprising [Initial] Improvements with n-acetylcysteine (NAC)

Wayne

I started supplementing with NAC yesterday, and feel it's been improving my brain function in some surprising ways. Below is my short story on how it came about...
-
I had read a testimonial recently by a man who several years ago had some serious health problems, and did a deep dive into any supplement he thought might help. He's since regained his health, but continues to try just about everything that comes along to see what it might do for him.

One of the things he said, was that of all the supplements he had ever tried, none gave the degree and consistency of benefits that he gets from NAC. I don't recall now what all those benefits were. But it prompted me to try NAC again, after trying it a number of years ago. I didn't recall getting any significant benefits back then, and had seen some cautionary notes about pwME/CFS using it.

But I did try it again yesterday, and gave it a good shot to start with, probably about 2000-2500 mg. I soon started noticing I was doing things on the spur of the moment I normally wouldn't do. I also noticed a slight decrease in appetite. As the day wore on, I skipped my normal afternoon nap, and continued to clean up a vastly overloaded inbox in my email account.

I felt a slight bit buzzed as the evening wore on, and wondered if it was going to affect my sleep (negatively). It did affect my sleep, but positively. I got to sleep about an hour earlier than normal, I slept better than normal, and I slept a full 8 hours (rare for me).

I started out today with half the NAC I took yesterday, and soon found myself going for a walk--at a faster pace, and went a greater distance than normal. I worked in the kitchen for an hour or so afterwards, and now have the energy to make this post. Obviously, this is all quite intriguing, and very hopeful for me. Will be interesting to see if the benefits continue, or if they peter out like so many other things have in the past.

I think a lot of the improvements I've noticed have to do with how NAC is affecting my brain. I recently ran across quite a remarkable article (long and in-depth) on NAC being used in psychiatry for things such as schizophrenia, addictions, depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, etc. It's all outlined in the article below. I've noticed I've felt more like myself since first taking NAC yesterday morning. Here's a link to the article:

N-acetylcysteine in psychiatry: current therapeutic evidence and potential mechanisms of action

@knackers323
@Marco

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
THat's a very interesting article, @Wayne. I just scanned the first several paragraphs and found the part about glutamate very interesting, because of insomnia issues. I've been taking 1200 mg NAC daily for many years, but might try increasing my dose and see what, if anything, happens.

*GG*

Hmm, running out of cash here, and almost out of this supplement. I have been taking 600 mg for years now. Perhaps a little in my quality multi-vitamin as well. So perhaps 800 mg a day?

GG

perchance dreamer

For some reason, NAC gives me really bad insomnia in amounts larger than 300 MG. I do tolerate that much NAC in my Sinatrol, but can't go above. Too bad since it has such good properties.

I remember Valentin takes it in the evening to help her sleep.

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
I started supplementing with NAC yesterday, and feel it's been improving my brain function in some surprising ways. Below is my short story on how it came about...
-
I had read a testimonial recently by a man who several years ago had some serious health problems, and did a deep dive into any supplement he thought might help. He's since regained his health, but continues to try just about everything that comes along to see what it might do for him.

One of the things he said, was that of all the supplements he had ever tried, none gave the degree and consistency of benefits that he gets from NAC. I don't recall now what all those benefits were. But it prompted me to try NAC again, after trying it a number of years ago. I didn't recall getting any significant benefits back then, and had seen some cautionary notes about pwME/CFS using it.

But I did try it again yesterday, and gave it a good shot to start with, probably about 2000-2500 mg. I soon started noticing I was doing things on the spur of the moment I normally wouldn't do. I also noticed a slight decrease in appetite. As the day wore on, I skipped my normal afternoon nap, and continued to clean up a vastly overloaded inbox in my email account.

I felt a slight bit buzzed as the evening wore on, and wondered if it was going to affect my sleep (negatively). It did affect my sleep, but positively. I got to sleep about an hour earlier than normal, I slept better than normal, and I slept a full 8 hours (rare for me).

I started out today with half the NAC I took yesterday, and soon found myself going for a walk--at a faster pace, and went a greater distance than normal. I worked in the kitchen for an hour or so afterwards, and now have the energy to make this post. Obviously, this is all quite intriguing, and very hopeful for me. Will be interesting to see if the benefits continue, or if they peter out like so many other things have in the past.

I think a lot of the improvements I've noticed have to do with how NAC is affecting my brain. I recently ran across quite a remarkable article (long and in-depth) on NAC being used in psychiatry for things such as schizophrenia, addictions, depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, etc. It's all outlined in the article below. I've noticed I've felt more like myself since first taking NAC yesterday morning. Here's a link to the article:

N-acetylcysteine in psychiatry: current therapeutic evidence and potential mechanisms of action

@knackers323
@Marco
Interesting. We gave Whitney NAC for a long time and we couldn't tell that it made any difference. I don't remember if it was IV or added to his PICC line IV food bag. It's so nice that you found something that helps.

Wayne

I read that it seems N-acetylcysteine (NAC) increases mercury concentrations in the kidneys and the brain so maybe people who eat fish or otherwise have elevated mercury levels should be careful with taking NAC.

Taking a random supplement could inadvertently mobilize it do it gets redeposited in a more impactful part of the body. ... However, it can be done safely over time (which I did over 6 years under doctor supervision), and NAC is a great supplement for many reasons and a part of the process.

I seem to recall now that when I first tried NAC a few years ago, that I did experience some unpleasant symptoms. Increased headaches come to mind, but a sense of "agitation" comes to mind as well. I think this may be an example of how certain supplements can be right for us at one time, but not at another time. In my case, I think I did a great deal of detoxification since I last tried NAC, which helped lead to my current good results.

I'm still noticing the good effects this morning (without taking any NAC so far). The relatively increased energy is nice, but the sense of a new calm in my body is really the predominant thing I've noticed so far. For many years I've noticed when I lay down to rest or sleep, that it's difficult for me to relax my facial muscles (and most likely other muscles as well). It's been very noticeable for me since starting NAC that it's much easier for me to relax. Not sure why that is. But it's so pronounced that I suspect it's (at least in part) from some kind of effect on my parasympathetic nervous system.​

Last edited:

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Interesting. We gave Whitney NAC for a long time and we couldn't tell that it made any difference. I don't remember if it was IV or added to his PICC line IV food bag. It's so nice that you found something that helps.

I have a few ideas of things to try for Whitney, which are whey protein and acetyl carnitine. I have found both are surprisingly helpful, the whey giving aminos for pyruvate dehydrogenase to convert to energy (based on the Fluge/Mella PDH impairment paper) and pyruvate dehydrogenase being inhibited would prevent Acetyl CoA from being created hence unable to donate acetyl groups to form acetylcholine which is what the acetyl carnitine can do (its the only reason i am currently coherent). I find both are dose dependent, 30g of whey a day so far and the acetyl carnitine i am still slowly increasing, i'm currently at 2000mg/day (started at 500mg), each dose increase took some adjustment.

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
I have a few ideas of things to try for Whitney, which are whey protein and acetyl carnitine. I have found both are surprisingly helpful, the whey giving aminos for pyruvate dehydrogenase to convert to energy (based on the Fluge/Mella PDH impairment paper) and pyruvate dehydrogenase being inhibited would prevent Acetyl CoA from being created hence unable to donate acetyl groups to form acetylcholine which is what the acetyl carnitine can do (its the only reason i am currently coherent). I find both are dose dependent, 30g of whey a day so far and the acetyl carnitine i am still slowly increasing, i'm currently at 2000mg/day (started at 500mg), each dose increase took some adjustment.
Thanks. He took both of those for a long time. It's such a bummer that nothing makes any difference that we have found so far.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Thanks. He took both of those for a long time. It's such a bummer that nothing makes any difference that we have found so far.
Aye carumba, i'm so sorry to hear that :cry:
I'm surprised the acetyl carnitine didn't make any difference, i started at one tablet and am currently at 4, i had to adjust to each dose and it had effects that seemed to regress. That said i don't know what else you have tried and i was hesitant to suggest anything at all, but i do hope something comes along soon.
I also take D Ribose, though its not an energy giver per se, it replenishes ATP which carries energy, not sure if it might help and i'm guessing you may be tired of trying countless things that don't seem to make any difference :bang-head: