• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu like symptoms

nryanh94

Hi All,

I was recently started on my Dr's version of a methylation protocol, as well as antibiotics for my bacterial infections and have gained a noticeable flu like feeling that I didn't have before/feel more run down in general.

The protocol is weird to me as it is nothing like what rich/fredd have put together.

The protocol consists of

Am:
1000 mcg Vit C
300 mcg B6 /100 mcg p5p 50
375 mcg l-metathione
1000 mcg B12

PM
1000 mcg vit C
100 mcg Zinc
750 mcg l-metathione

I was just curious as to some suggestions, or why these Flu like symptoms might be occurring. Maybe the lack of Folate? Or a Herx type response

Shoshana

Northern USA
I honestly have no idea. But I am sorry you are having these difficult symptoms.

I would wonder about the antibx,
such as what side effects you MIGHT be having from those. Which I have no idea if they would be good ones, or ok for you to have , or herx and a good med for you to continue taking, or not a good med for you. It is so confusing.

I also wonder if you would have progressed to feeling this way, even without that doctor's protocol.

But from what you said, it does seem like maybe from something there, that you added.

I hope someone else will have a better answer for you.

No problem:D
If it's 300mg vitamin B6 with 100mg p5p50, that might be a rather high dose of vitamin B6.

There is a thread on B6 dosages here.
It's been a while since I've taken B6, as I don't tolerate it well, but back then I think I didn't take more than 100mg B6 and 25-50mg p5p50. Now I don't even tolerate small amounts.

Also, in case you are taking 100mg zinc, that is a lot too. The daily requirement is around 15mg and usually dosages are around 15-30mg daily. The NOAEL (No Observed Adverse Effect Level) for zinc is 50mg a day.
High zinc doses can deplete copper. Don't know if that might be causing problems.

If you want to do classic methylation protocol, it is also weird that there is no folate in the protocol. Classic methylation protocol didn't help me though, but I wrote more on that in the thread I posted before. There are also other posts in that thread on what the usual methylation protocol consists of.

Wishful

A few years into my ME, I was sensitive to VitC. IIRC, it increased my general symptoms. It may have had to do with its antioxidant properties. I don't know what it might have to do with methylation (something I haven't bothered looking into), but it definitely caused me problems then. I haven't tested it for a while, so I'm not sure whether it still affects me, or how much would be required to trigger worse symptoms.

You might try testing the various parts of the protocol separately, to see which one is causing the problem for you.

JES

You are correct, sorry i posted incorrectly

At 300 mg B6 daily there is risk of reversible nerve damage (neuropathy), evidence suggest it's not a good idea to go much beyond 100 mg daily. Besides, P5P already covers B6 as it's the more active form, so I find it hard to understand why your protocol includes both. P5P doesn't come with the nervous system side effects and is better absorbed, so probably doesn't need a larger than 50 mg dosage at most.

Regarding flu like feeling, based on my experiences, it could be the B12 causing it. I get this type of feeling when I try to jump start methylation, less with cyano-B12, but with methyl-B12 it's definitely noticeable, so I basically can't tolerate B12.