• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

N acetyl cysteine

knackers323

Has anyone had any experience with using NAC to raise glutathione?

Did you notice any effects, how long did it take? Thanks

I tried the search button but just went around in circles

Has anyone had any experience with using NAC to raise glutathione?
I take 1200-1800mg per day and it seems to help me quite a lot with sleep and avoiding the "wired" mental state. No idea regarding glutathione, but I haven't developed MCS or severe sound/light sensitivity or intolerance to most drugs/supplements, so maybe it has helped with that.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
All I can say is that it helps me prevent crashes and also helps with heat intolerance. No way of telling if this is due to its antioxidant properties, raising glutathione or antagonising glutamate.

physicsstudent13

can you inject glutathione powder from the capsules mixed with water? I tried it but it didn't seem to have any effect at 2000mg. there is a store in florida that sells it
I've been taking NAC to protect my liver from the medications I'm on but I hope it isn't damaging my heart/lungs as studies say

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
can you inject glutathione powder from the capsules mixed with water? I tried it but it didn't seem to have any effect at 2000mg. there is a store in florida that sells it
I've been taking NAC to protect my liver from the medications I'm on but I hope it isn't damaging my heart/lungs as studies say

Interesting, how safe is a capsule of glutathione to inject? I assume different quality control for capsules vs injectable.

I guess you could use it with saline for injection, but would there be a way to sterilize it to the grade of other injectables ?

Have me thinking now?

physicsstudent13

I don't know I am tired of having brain fog and exhaustion for years and contacted a doctor who offers the injections but the price was beyond what I could afford. he was offering Meyer's cocktails too which I tried 3 times I think.
there's a company in Florida that sells the injections. I bought the glutathione from piping rock and I didn't get any clarity or lifting of brain fog from the injections or taking the pills.

so the b12 has to be a certain brand to be effective for brain fog and energy? is piping rock good?
I have had significant energy increase on b complex and vitamin c injections but no help in the brain fog

isn't NAC supposed to damage the heart walls and lungs by thickening of heart walls? it throws off the body's oxygen sensing

Last edited:

physicsstudent13

I'm not sure if NAC is safe in mouse studies it destroyed the hearts or damaged the hearts and lungs of mice.
NAC protects both the kidneys and liver. I'm having strange chest pains lately like a sore arrythmia feeling on the right side and I have tachycardia of 122 all the time some days

I just want to regain my clarity and brain function which I lost after sleep apnea and asthma

Last edited:

knackers323

I don't know I am tired of having brain fog and exhaustion for years and contacted a doctor who offers the injections but the price was beyond what I could afford. he was offering Meyer's cocktails too which I tried 3 times I think.
there's a company in Florida that sells the injections. I bought the glutathione from piping rock and I didn't get any clarity or lifting of brain fog from the injections or taking the pills.

so the b12 has to be a certain brand to be effective for brain fog and energy? is piping rock good?
I have had significant energy increase on b complex and vitamin c injections but no help in the brain fog

isn't NAC supposed to damage the heart walls and lungs by thickening of heart walls? it throws off the body's oxygen sensing

The Myers cocktail didn't do much?

physicsstudent13

I'm getting strange right chest pain/soreness/arrythmias, maybe I took too much EDTA or HCG? I have right bundle branch block now but that was on an EKG before I started taking NAC. It could be low calcium from EDTA?
I don't know if this is a result of too much NAC damaging my heart??

Last edited:
isn't NAC dangerous and damages the heart and lungs? on a mouse study it did
No, it's quite safe at normal doses, unless you're predisposed to cysteine-based kidney stones. It's been used long-term on HIV or AIDS patients without ill effects at doses of 1800mg per day and even a bit higher.

physicsstudent13

No but in mouse studies it caused heart and lung damage and thickens the heart wall which makes the heart function poorly which is damage. I would guess in AIDS patients it is a last option.

I had tachycardia of 125 with taking all these supplements and high doses of NAC and EDTA and ubiquinol. I'm not sure what caused it

Last edited:
No but in mouse studies it caused heart and lung damage and thickens the heart wall which makes the heart function poorly which is damage. I would guess in AIDS patients it is a last option.
And what dose were these mice supposedly taking? Do you have a link to the study which supports your claims? From what I recall, the dose has to be at least 10x higher than a typical dose for any at all damage to occur. And the long-term studies in HIV patients showed no ill effects, so it's quite unlikely it was a "last resort".

Wayne

Did you try the Google Site Search option within search? You can try this for NAC as there are quite a few threads.

I've tried this feature several times but can't get it to work. Most recently I got a message, and found the following online (below). It's fairly gibberish to me, and don't know exactly what I can do with it. I got this message when using Firefox, and don't get any message at all in Chrome. It just spins and spins forever, without ever accomplishing anything.

I'm seeing the error message “Unauthorized access to internal API. Please refer to https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/4542055” when I try access Custom Search Engine results.

This error is an indication of trying to directly access the Custom Search Engine’s internal API (‘v1element’). Please use the code snippet found in your CSE control panel. Learn more about Custom Search Element V2 setup. For programmatic access use the public CSE JSON API.​

Neunistiva

No, it's quite safe at normal doses, unless you're predisposed to cysteine-based kidney stones. It's been used long-term on HIV or AIDS patients without ill effects at doses of 1800mg per day and even a bit higher.

I posted this in another thread but I will copy it here too in case someone didn't visit the other thread: I read that it seems N-acetylcysteine (NAC) increases mercury concentrations in the kidneys and the brain so maybe people who eat fish or otherwise have elevated mercury levels should be careful with taking NAC.