• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has Anyone Tried CBD Oil? Which Brand, Strength, Strain, etc., Was Most Effective For You?

Jigsaw

Hi all,

Been off here for some time, so a bit out of the loop.

Iodine has improved some aspects of my health, but I keep hearing that CBD oil is highly effective as a pain reliever, as a mood and anxiety lifter, and even in reducing fatigue.

Am bamboozled by the sheer volume of info out there, and there are no really specific reviews on one of the big UK sites that are any help to me in trying to decide if it’s worth a go, effective, etc, because they only say things like, “It works”, or “It doesn’t work”, or “Arrived late”.

I would love to know what other people’s experience of any of the various forms, strains, delivery vehicles (balm, drops, oil, etc) has been, and if anyone can recommend one of the CBD products for fatigue, pain, and mood (nausea, migraines, dizziness, neuropathy repair would all be bloomin’ marvellous, too), I’d be massively grateful.

Hope to hear from people soon,

Thanks,
Jigsaw

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @Jigsaw - I've been using CBD oil for sleep for maybe 5 or 6 weeks. I think it's helping. I first tried taking a full dose (described as 15 drops) at night before bed and felt like crap the next day. I'm really sensitive to meds etc. so that was a mistake. Through trial and error I found that I can tolerate small doses during the day (2 drops after breakfast and lunch, 3 or 4 after dinner and before bed). I also take a ton of other supplements for sleep.

I don't know if the CBD oil is having any other benefits. I don't have fatigue, pain, neuropathy etc.

I get mine from here: https://bluebirdbotanicals.com/product-category/extracts/
and I'm taking, the "classic" hemp oil. I did order the sample pack of 3 different types but have not tried the other 2 yet.

Blue Bird seems to have a very good reputation and tests all their products.

Jigsaw

Hi @Mary,

Thanks for that :)

As you may remember, I’m in the same hypersensitivity boat as you. I remember our conversations on sleep supplements - is the melatonin still working for you? It crucifies me.

What % etc was your classic CBD? All the higher concentrations seem ludicrously expensive (the white, red, and black oils) so I’m hoping that people can report benefits from the £15-25 range products, which are a lower concentration.

What was the process for getting samples from Bluebird? And what sizes were they? Am imagining just a few drops, or a couple of capsules......

Thanks again, Mary, nice to talk to you again,
Jigsaw

Jigsaw

Oh pants. I should have said - am obv interested in EVERYONE’s experience of CBD, but I’m in UK and need a UK-available product. Not at all sure how UK Customs and Excise would overreact to a bottle of innocent CBD!

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @Mary,

Thanks for that :)

As you may remember, I’m in the same hypersensitivity boat as you. I remember our conversations on sleep supplements - is the melatonin still working for you? It crucifies me.

What % etc was your classic CBD? All the higher concentrations seem ludicrously expensive (the white, red, and black oils) so I’m hoping that people can report benefits from the £15-25 range products, which are a lower concentration.

What was the process for getting samples from Bluebird? And what sizes were they? Am imagining just a few drops, or a couple of capsules......

Thanks again, Mary, nice to talk to you again,
Jigsaw

Sorry, that was misleading about the sample pack They don't send you samples per se - you have to pay for them. It's a pack of 3 different varieties of CBD oil, roughly 1/3 of an ounce per bottle: https://bluebirdbotanicals.com/product/hemp-sample-pack/

I've only used the "classic" oil, and it's described here: https://bluebirdbotanicals.com/product/classic-hemp-cbd-oil/, strength etc.

I don't know about shipping to the UK - yeah, very well could be a problem! :eek:

I still do take melatonin, plus a ton of other supplements for sleep, and low dose trazodone. I tapered off of a 1 mg lorazepam habit (in the middle of the night) as of last February, and "sleep" has been elusive ever since ...

Nice to see you back! :)

Learner1

I take Quicksilver Colorado Hemp Oil CBD product. It is helping me with nausea and headaches.

I take other natural products for sleep, including melatonin, theanine, GABA, 5-HTP and phosphatidyl serine.

Jigsaw

Any UK CBD users out there?

Thanks @Learner1, I take 5-HTP and 1g magnesium at bedtime. Helps my sleep latency and my mood.

Can’t take theanine or GABA or melatonin. Valerian is ok. The others make me hugely anxious. Yes, yes, I know they shouldn’t, but they do.

Ema

Overall, I think CBD has use, especially for sleep and for glutamate modulation, in our population.

Unfortunately, I had hoped it would help with the coat hanger pain in my shoulders and neck, but I did not have any luck with it for that purpose.

It was too expensive for me to carry on with if it didn't help with pain (but my experience may just be an anomaly. There are plenty of people who say it does help with pain).

I thought Charlotte's Web Everyday Advanced worked the best. It's a PITA to dose a liquid, in my opinion, though, so be careful. I had the residue melt two plastic droppers before I figured out it had to be glass.

I tried most of the companies listed on the reddit/CBD forum. I liked the price of CBDistillery for sure (and would still like to try their new softgel product at some point). Quicksilver CBD rounds out my top 3.

imbue, BioCBD, Elixinol and Mary's Nutritionals produced no effects.

I have tried Elixinol and Dutch Natural Healing CBD. I have a very sensitive stomach and while Elixinol was effective, It gave me the runs and stomach pain until I stopped (i am sensitive to coconut oil). Dutch is very good. I only use 3 drop and It helps a little for my anxiety or for relaxing before bed. I was going to try charlotte's web, but decided against it, because even though it uses olive oil in place of coconut oil (like dutch natural healing), Many people have said that they get nauseous from it. I'm assuming you would probably need a higher dosage though if you are using it for pain.

Jigsaw

Thanks, @Mylifesobright, that’s really useful. My skin came out in a bright red rash from applying organic coconut oil (the first and only application) so it’s safe to say I’d be intolerant of it internally as I reacted so badly externally. Annoying, because I love all of coconut oil’s amazing properties. I shall avoid Elixinol :)

Do Dutch Natural Healing have a UK website, or do they deliver to UK? Charlotte’s Web is on one of the UK sites, so are you in UK too?

Am up for any improvements, be they in energy levels, reducing pain, helping my horrible foot neuropathy, reducing headaches and migraine, reducing nausea, whatever. What are you using it for, and is it helping much?

Jigsaw

I have tried Elixinol and Dutch Natural Healing CBD. I have a very sensitive stomach and while Elixinol was effective, It gave me the runs and stomach pain until I stopped (i am sensitive to coconut oil). Dutch is very good. I only use 3 drop and It helps a little for my anxiety or for relaxing before bed. I was going to try charlotte's web, but decided against it, because even though it uses olive oil in place of coconut oil (like dutch natural healing), Many people have said that they get nauseous from it. I'm assuming you would probably need a higher dosage though if you are using it for pain.
@Mylifesobright
Ok, have found website, wish they took PayPal, but all very reassuring and impressive reviews which don’t look fake.

How did you get on with DNH? You use only the oil, yes? No paste or crystals or the spray?

Are you taking it for anxiety and muscle/mind relaxation only, or have you noticed any other effects? It’s a 16 point something % oil, so also considerably stronger than the more expensive 5 and 10% oils I’ve seen elsewhere.

Am tempted by the convenience of a spray, which, because of the far greater bioavailability, acts like a 40% oil. €37.95 + €4.99 post. Cheaper than a lot I’ve seen.

Am feeling quite excited!

Who did you speak to in customer service? Was it Lars? He gets mentioned a lot in the reviews :)

@Mylifesobright
Ok, have found website, wish they took PayPal, but all very reassuring and impressive reviews which don’t look fake.

How did you get on with DNH? You use only the oil, yes? No paste or crystals or the spray?

Are you taking it for anxiety and muscle/mind relaxation only, or have you noticed any other effects? It’s a 16 point something % oil, so also considerably stronger than the more expensive 5 and 10% oils I’ve seen elsewhere.

Am tempted by the convenience of a spray, which, because of the far greater bioavailability, acts like a 40% oil. €37.95 + €4.99 post. Cheaper than a lot I’ve seen.

Am feeling quite excited!

Who did you speak to in customer service? Was it Lars? He gets mentioned a lot in the reviews :)

Yes, they are UK based. I live in the US but am glad they ship here. Dutch is definitely a legit company. I did a lot of research finding a high-quality company before buying. I also made sure to buy from a company that had minimal additives as many things give me inflammation.

I'm only familiar with their oil and yes muscle relaxation/anxiety is what I am mainly taking it for. CBD is expensive so that is why only take 3 drops, but maybe if I increased the dosage I would help with the other conditions that I have ( like psoriasis).

I actually did speak to Lars. I asked about the shelf life and the response was "our products are good for 18 months, store at room temperature in the dark and shake well before use."

keenly

Hi all,

Been off here for some time, so a bit out of the loop.

Iodine has improved some aspects of my health, but I keep hearing that CBD oil is highly effective as a pain reliever, as a mood and anxiety lifter, and even in reducing fatigue.

Am bamboozled by the sheer volume of info out there, and there are no really specific reviews on one of the big UK sites that are any help to me in trying to decide if it’s worth a go, effective, etc, because they only say things like, “It works”, or “It doesn’t work”, or “Arrived late”.

I would love to know what other people’s experience of any of the various forms, strains, delivery vehicles (balm, drops, oil, etc) has been, and if anyone can recommend one of the CBD products for fatigue, pain, and mood (nausea, migraines, dizziness, neuropathy repair would all be bloomin’ marvellous, too), I’d be massively grateful.

Hope to hear from people soon,

Thanks,
Jigsaw

I have some CBD oil for sale actually. CBD brothers, spray and drops. Used twice.
https://cbdbrothers.com/shop/

I am allergic to the strains they use, but most people get great results. They are of the highest quality.