• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please would you consider doing a kindness to one of our community who is in dire circumstances?

Countrygirl

Sorry not to have been on this thread. I had an emergency eye operation for a RE-detached retina just over a week ago (original op bad enough and that was last year). Very stressful and cannot see well due to gas bubble in eye and am still pretty exhausted. More so now as for a week I had to rest anyway, face down or head on side for pretty much the whole time, but now I am up I am trying to catch up and failing.

What I do know is that Gillian does now have funding for a year's water supply courtesy of the charity which I have applied to for her each year - I heard about this just a couple of weeks back. This is the most they have ever given so that is well taken care of and a huge relief. Obviously she still needs the other things though.

I have emailed you @Countrygirl

Hi @mermaid

I was aware of your nasty eye problems (again! ) and so didn't contact you over this as I know you don't need the hassle just at the moment. I do hope it is improving now. How horrible to have a repeat of last year!

That is good news about the water and congratulations for managing to achieve that. You are a miracle worker indeed as no one else over the years has managed to accomplish that. It is relief!

I heard from Nicki yesterday which was very helpful. She says G. can listen to DVDs which is great! We could send her some from the charity shops if they are in good condition to help her build up a stock. Do you know what she likes?

Maybe people from overseas could order one from Amazon for UK players and have them delivered to her.

I am just working thorough my emails mermaid. Thank you for writing. Lovely to hear from you! :):thumbsup:

mermaid

Hi @Countrygirl
Yes, Gillian has a small DVD player now. I guess it's too small for her to be able to see the picture well. I am not entirely clear myself on her preferences re DVDs although I think they are fairly broad. I have actually got a couple to send her for Christmas. I did include a comedy (Dad's Army) as if anyone needs something to smile at, it's Gillian.

Countrygirl

Hi @Countrygirl
Yes, Gillian has a small DVD player now. I guess it's too small for her to be able to see the picture well. I am not entirely clear myself on her preferences re DVDs although I think they are fairly broad. I have actually got a couple to send her for Christmas. I did include a comedy (Dad's Army) as if anyone needs something to smile at, it's Gillian.

Hi Mermaid,

Shame it is only a small picture!

If anyone would like to send her something really entertaining which everyone I know enjoys it is the DVD Keeping Mum with Rowan Atkinson and Maggie Smith. I suggest if you do send it to her you let us know here as she won't know what to do with 20 copies. :)

Hidden Figures is excellent; Churchill and Their Finest are all possibles I think she would enjoy.

If you are in the UK please do send her heat pads if you can. The link to them is above.

Countrygirl

What Country is Gillian in and what part of that country ?
How can someone in the states help?
Is this legitimate?
Thanks

Hi @getinbetter,

She is in the UK in the South West of England and she has been in the field for about 20 years I think now.

I think there are problems paying for heat pads from the US, but you could also send her a DVD that would play on a DVD UK device from Amazon.UK. Someone else is sending her writing paper. She also needs UK stamps and especailly batteries, AA and AAA.

Lights of any sort that are battery operated would be good too. Woollen gloves (washed) and anything to keep her warm and dry providding it isn't a chemical problem.

@mermaid is in regular contact with her and might be able to add a few more suggestions.

mermaid

@Countrygirl re....
'Woollen gloves (washed) and anything to keep her warm and dry providing it isn't a chemical problem.'
Sorry useless at working out how to do the quotey thing despite being told before......

I thought that Gillian had problems with wool next to her skin (sorry!). She is OK with silk and alpaca I think though. More expensive of course.

I have to admit that I never know what to buy for Gillian that is safe, but the suggestions you have made are fine (other than the wool but did you get that from a list via Nicki?)

Countrygirl

@Countrygirl re....
'Woollen gloves (washed) and anything to keep her warm and dry providing it isn't a chemical problem.'
Sorry useless at working out how to do the quotey thing despite being told before......

I thought that Gillian had problems with wool next to her skin (sorry!). She is OK with silk and alpaca I think though. More expensive of course.

I have to admit that I never know what to buy for Gillian that is safe, but the suggestions you have made are fine (other than the wool but did you get that from a list via Nicki?)

Oh dear! I hope everyone takes a note of that. That is news to me. Thanks Mermaid.

Gingergrrl

What about sending money? Does she have paypal?

This is what I was wondering, too, b/c it would be very challenging to send these items from the U.S. I was hoping Gillian and her mom might have PayPal, a Go Fund Me page, or could accept Amazon gift cards on-line (which only require an e-mail address) but @Countrygirl said that they don't so I could send a Christmas card. I am happy to send a card but really would like to do something more for Gillian!

Hi All,
I’m new here - this is my first post. My partner and I have read this post and would really like to help Gillian. We were thinking of sending heat pads and batteries to go some way to meeting her heating and power needs. Could @mermaid please contact me to advise me of any other urgent items needed. We also have DVDs that we would like to regift, but we need to know Gillian’s viewing preferences as well as Gillian’s address / how to get these items to her. Also, would it be appropriate to send any organic food items to Gillian? I was thinking of things like protein bars or nuts, but again I would need to be advised of Gillian’s allergies and food intolerances. I also buy wet wipes for myself made with 99% water and 1% fruit acids. Would these be any use to Gillian? Thank you.

Countrygirl

@Gingergrrl

It is the middle of the night here for me, but we really do need a method of paying money in asap now.

I know G's mum has a special account for her attached to her name and previously Nicki Greenham at mcs-aware also collected money for her.

I have sent an email to Nicki to ask if I can have the necessary details.

I will let you know when Nicki responds. :hug::thumbsup:

Does Gillian have a sheepskin coat yet? I would be happy to buy her a second hand sheepskin coat if a pre worn coat will not impact on her allergies? Being ill is bad enough, but being cold and hungry on top of this is soul destroying. The recent drop in temperature in the UK for people in Gillian’s circumstances is very worrying and a very real threat to health.

Countrygirl

Does Gillian have a sheepskin coat yet? I would be happy to buy her a second hand sheepskin coat if a pre worn coat will not impact on her allergies? Being ill is bad enough, but being cold and hungry on top of this is soul destroying. The recent drop in temperature in the UK for people in Gillian’s circumstances is very worrying and a very real threat to health.

I read on her FB page that she can cut the arms off and use them as leg warmers and use the rest as a body warmer.

She has marked oedema so she would need a large one. I fear it would be very costly to post though.

A lovely idea. Alternatively, she could also use it as a blanket

I read on her FB page that she can cut the arms off and use them as leg warmers and use the rest as a body warmer.

She has marked oedema so she would need a large one. I fear it would be very costly to post though.

A lovely idea. Alternatively, she could also use it as a blanket

Hi Countrygirl,
I’m looking at reasonably priced men’s sheepskin coats on eBay. I will search for large / XL. My partner is also going to have a look in local charity shops as I’m currently housebound. If I buy from eBay, I can have the coat posted directly to Gillian if I have her postal address. Or maybe I could have the coat delivered to me and make her leg warmers? I think that the arms would need slicing open lengthways after removal and have suede cord lengths attached at intervals so that they could be tied to fit comfortably and securely. If I cut the legs from the body of the jacket carefully, the remaining body of the jacket could be used as a body warmer?

mermaid

Hi All,
I’m new here - this is my first post. My partner and I have read this post and would really like to help Gillian. We were thinking of sending heat pads and batteries to go some way to meeting her heating and power needs. Could @mermaid please contact me to advise me of any other urgent items needed. We also have DVDs that we would like to regift, but we need to know Gillian’s viewing preferences as well as Gillian’s address / how to get these items to her. Also, would it be appropriate to send any organic food items to Gillian? I was thinking of things like protein bars or nuts, but again I would need to be advised of Gillian’s allergies and food intolerances. I also buy wet wipes for myself made with 99% water and 1% fruit acids. Would these be any use to Gillian? Thank you.
I will pm you @Tilly about this....

mermaid

Just to say that if anyone does send to Gillian (if done already don't worry as she does have a small magnifier) but if you could write as large as possible as her sight is very poor, or type in large font like 28.